A Brave New World!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know............you can make real instruments from natural materials and still end up with something really disturbing.

This appeared on my bagpipe group the other day.

Phil

I don't understand what was disturbing about that at all. That was really cool. Whoever skinned that beef out must have been real good with the knife, as a button hole would have really ruined those bellows. And being able to keep the legs intact must have taken some work. Just don't see my dad allowing me to do back on the farm, though I could have seen me coming up with the idea.

Alan

I'm sorry, Dick, but I really don't understand why you're pushing this one on. We disagree, fine. You won't convince me to throw away one of my instruments any more than I can convince you to live and let live. Can't we just leave it at that and talk about something else?

Chris

Of course you can Chris .... just visit another thread. ;)

After all, we're discussing Brave New World, where thankfully we still have freedom to choose which thread to visit.

Thankfully we are not discussing Fahrenheit 451! ;)

So, & correct me if I'm wrong, but we also still have freedom of speech here, so we all have a right to express our opinions.

So really, as long as folks here are interested in the various ideas expressed, I don't see what the problem is with keeping this thread open.

I for one, think it has been rather interesting hearing how various members here embrace, or dislike, midi.

Are you telling me, perhaps, that the midi lovers here feel threatened somehow, by the rest of us displaying publicly how we don't particularly like these objects?

On the contrary, I think they probably relish the opportunity to express why & how much they love midi.

That's fine too because, just as I will never convince midi lovers not to love midi, they will never convince me to love midi.

Surely that's what a free discussion is all about?

Or, are you telling me there is a time &/or space restriction on threads here? :blink:

If so, just pull the plug on it ..................... Big Brother! ;)

Cheers

Dick

The whole thread reminds me about a discussion I had some time ago with a friend.

He defended the idea of modern art. I really find this disgusting - the modern art, not his opinion :lol: -. He doesn't know how tho hold a f*ck*ng brush, and I spent all my life struggling with those things. So, my poin of view is that an artist is somebody with developed skills throughout a whole life of work and discipline. I mean, if everybody can be an artist, then nobody is. The most modern art I can understand are the prerraphaelites - I was delighted with the Manchester Art Gallery ;) -.

In the same way, I understand a musician is somebody with some qualities that not everybody has, and cannot be developed thus by everybody. Of course, there are degrees, from the 'decent' musician to the virtuoso level.

And of course, this is only my opinion.

But I'm afraid, Dick, that such 'freedom of speech' is a phalacy. We've been trapped by the political correctness to such a ridiculous degree that you're only free to express your opinion as long as you agree with the majority. If not, I'm afraid your're condemned to ostracism. Well, you don't like the midi instruments. Neither do I. But nobody is going to convince my that playing a keyboard that sounds like a bassoon is not cheating. Do you like the sound of the bassoon? Right. Learn to play it. NOTHING compares to the 'real things'.

I feel that playing a midi concertina should be like washing your feet with your socks on :lol:

Cheers,

Fer

I feel that playing a midi concertina should be like washing your feet with your socks on :lol:

Fer

Ah Ha, well said Fer, good to know I'm not alone in here! ;)

By the way, it might be OK for you folks in Sunny Spain to take your socks off, but in Scotland the water is so COLD 2.gif that we only ever go paddling at the beach, with our socks on!

In fact, come to think of it, I think there's only one thing we actually do take our socks off, to do ...................... :P

In fact, come to think of it, I think there's only one thing we actually do take our socks off, to do ...................... :P

That brings to my mind... :rolleyes: :lol:

I like smoking, strong black coffe, high cholesterol food, alcoholic beer, true instruments and true friends. Am I going to die? Yes. Like everybody, but living the way I wanted.

Concerning the other matter - ah, but is there anything else? :D - the day I try virtual sex, I'll ask somebody please to kill me.

Cheers,

Fer

Concerning the other matter - ah, but is there anything else? :D - the day I try virtual sex, I'll ask somebody please to kill me.

Fer

This is hard to believe Fer!

A survey of Canadian college students found that 87% of more than 2,500 respondents 'fessed up to technology-assisted sex via tools like instant message, webcams, and text message.

Virtual Sex: Threat to Real Intimacy?

:(

I like smoking, strong black coffe, high cholesterol food, alcoholic beer, true instruments and true friends. Am I going to die? Yes. Like everybody, but living the way I wanted.

Fer,

That again reminds me of the man who asked his doctor how he could prolong his life. The doctor prohibited just the things you mentioned.

"And will I really live longer if I give those up, Doctor?"

"No, but it'll seem longer!" :P

Cheers,

John

Fer,

That again reminds me of the man who asked his doctor how he could prolong his life. The doctor prohibited just the things you mentioned.

"And will I really live longer if I give those up, Doctor?"

"No, but it'll seem longer!" :P

Cheers,

John

When I readed that smoking and drinking is bad for my health, I gave up... reading :P

Cheers,

Fer

Just as a footnote to this thread:

Chinese historical documents date the existence of free reed mouth organs in 1500 BC, with mythological sources dating them much earlier.

These early instruments were made with gourd resonators, bamboo pipes and fibre reeds, like the modern day NAW.

Free reed instruments were virtually unknown in the West until Pierre Amiot introduced a SHENG to European instrument makers in the 17th Century, which resulted in the invention of the harmonica, accordion, concertina and reed organ.

It's amazing to think that in 3,500 years we've come from THIS to THIS to THIS to THIS to THIS!

I can understand how the scientifically inclined among us, can marvel at this jumble of wires, but not how anyone with an interest in & a desire to preserve all things traditional, can be impressed by that last alien looking beastie! :blink:

I guess it comes down to "Different strokes for different folks."

Cheers

Dick