A Brave New World!

Don't these vile objects just make you want to weep? 6.gif

Midi Concertina 2.gif

Midi Bagpipes 2.gif

Midi Saxophone 2.gif

Midi Violin 2.gif

I'm sure the likes of Stradivari, Wheatstone & all other creators of wonderful, natural musical instruments, will be weeping buckets in their graves now!

Granted, the Concertina still looks like a Concertina, but how long before that lovely old box shape we all know & love, becomes a shinny, gaudy coloured plastic or metal mockery of the original? 16.gif

Can you honestly picture those Midi Pipes being played at a Burns Night?

Let's be honest, if Burns came back, I think we all know where he'd stick that Pipers plastic Midi Chanter! 3.gif

Quite frankly, I really don't care how close they come to sounding like the real thing they are just WRONG for me, on oh so many levels!

Take a look at this wonderful photo of a Mongolian Orchestra

Look at all these fascinating instruments, which took thousands of years of development, thanks to the efforts of countless musicians & master craftsmen instrument makers, to reach their stage of perfection. Is this how we are going to treat all art forms in the future?

Now picture that same orchestra, standing there, each with some vile looking modern, high tech Midi equivalent of their ancient & traditional instrument in their hands! 4.gif

If that's the future of music, all I can say is ................... I'm glad I won't be around to see it! 1.gif

Is this how we are going to treat all art forms in the future?

Maybe we should just paint a Smiley face on the Mona Lisa while we're at it! 2.gif

Here are a couple more options you might like to consider: A modern Midi Lisa

But seriously, are the Dippers of this World, really just wasting their time? ............................................

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously, are the Dippers of this World, really just wasting their time? ............................................

I hope that they are not wasting their time and believe otherwise because it's just too depressing to think that the reign of quantity over quality will ultimately triumph.

Ian

And one day, John Kirkpatrick will produce a midi concertina in one of his concerts, and a voice at the back of the crowd will shout, "Judas!"

I know someone who has a midi accordion and is very pleased with it. It is lighter, more versatile, and sounds good. He has full control over the volume and attack on the notes, but it just doesn't have all those heavy reeds.

And I know someone else who plays electric piano, with the sound sampled from the best pianos in the world, and the sound is sensitive to the touch, like a real piano.

And the electric guitar of course produces sounds different from the acoustic version, and in the hands of the right musician is a wonderful thing.

But there will, thankfully, always be people who want to make music with proper traditional "mechanical" instruments. There is nothing like picking up a nice well made instrument, admiring the workmanship, the feel of the action, and wanting to play it because it is such a nice instrument. I would like a go on a midi instrument, but I'd like to own the best "proper" instrument I could afford.

Granted, the Concertina still looks like a Concertina, but how long before that lovely old box shape we all know & love, becomes a shinny, gaudy coloured plastic or metal mockery of the original? 16.gif

purple and plastic is already here

OH MY GOD! It's worse than I thought!

That is absolutely DISGUSTING

8.gif

purple and plastic is already here

OH MY GOD! It's worse than I thought!

That is absolutely DISGUSTING

8.gif

Truly horrible.

Ian

Quite frankly, I really don't care how close they come to sounding like the real thing they are just WRONG for me, on oh so many levels!

I think you've rather missed the point. If I want to play something that sounds like a concertina I play a concertina. But sometimes I have a compulsion to sound like a cathedral organ (something I have an urge for from time to time) then I reach for the Whiteley/Lachenal and the synth module. Each have their place. My heart is with my Dipper and Jeffries, but I have a lot of fun with the MIDI box.

Nope!

Chris

I think you've rather missed the point. If I want to play something that sounds like a concertina I play a concertina. But sometimes I have a compulsion to sound like a cathedral organ (something I have an urge for from time to time) then I reach for the Whiteley/Lachenal and the synth module. Each have their place. My heart is with my Dipper and Jeffries, but I have a lot of fun with the MIDI box.

Nope!

Chris

Chris, are you seriously trying to make us believe you don't have room for one of these in your house? :blink:

Surely you could squeeze one of these into your front room! ;)

But seriously, I can't see how playing a little box of midi tricks, comes anywhere near the same ballpark as sitting in a wonderful Cathedral setting playing a magnificent & real Organ

Cheers

Dick

If I want to play something that sounds like a concertina I play a concertina.

Me too :) .

The advantage of these midi instruments is capability of change timbre and volume using midi devices.

One can use with headphone for silent practice (it might suit for small Japanese houses :ph34r: ) or various timbre on stage performance.

I personally think these midi instruments are not well suit for traditional music domain but technology itself is interesting to me.

--

Taka

But seriously, I can't see how playing a little box of midi tricks, comes anywhere near the same ballpark as sitting in a wonderful Cathedral setting playing a magnificent & real Organ

Again, you make my point for me. If I had the ability and the training to play a cathedral organ I would play it. But I don't. Until the MIDI anglo came along that would have been the end of the story.

As it happens I play the anglo concertina and anything else with an anglo-derived keyboard (such as the anglodeon). The MIDI anglo allows me to have the sort of fun that piano keyboard players have been able to have since the 1970s. It's always struck me as odd that people who don't like instruments like the MIDI anglo or MIDI violin don't seem to mind synthesisers with piano keyboards. Why not be consistent and ban them as well?

In fact people are still making, buying and playing pianos with no sign that the synth is replacing them. There's space for everything, or should be. My MIDI anglo hasn't replaced my other concertinas, why should it? I would ask you: why does the MIDI anglo upset you so much? What is threatening you about them? Why do you feel the need to condemn them?

Chris

PS Scottish Concertina Forum, eh? Want it in the FAQ?

Again, you make my point for me. If I had the ability and the training to play a cathedral organ I would play it. But I don't. Until the MIDI anglo came along that would have been the end of the story.

Chris

Sorry Chris, I'm just picturing an orchestra of the future, with say 40 musicians, all sitting holding the same little plastic musical box, but each switched to sound like a different instrument! Not a pretty picture. Just think what civilisation will have lost, when it gets to that stage.
Why not be consistent and ban them as well?

Chris

Now your talking my language Chris, let's ban them all! :lol:

In fact people are still making, buying and playing pianos with no sign that the synth is replacing them. There's space for everything, or should be. My MIDI anglo hasn't replaced my other concertinas, why should it? I would ask you: why does the MIDI anglo upset you so much? What is threatening you about them? Why do you feel the need to condemn them?

I'm just expressing my opinion Chris.

I'm sorry but I just don't like anything about them & knowing that I'm not the only Old Fart in here, I was curious to see if I was in the minority here or majority?

PS Scottish Concertina Forum, eh? Want it in the FAQ?

Yes please.

Although to be honest, it's so quiet up there, I'm not sure even a nod from this site will make it much busier. :(

I think they're all far too busy up there, practicing!

................. & of course petrolling the border, to prevent any synthesised Concertinas or Bagpipes from being smuggled in! :lol:

Sorry Chris, I'm just picturing an orchestra of the future, with say 40 musicians, all sitting holding the same little plastic musical box, but each switched to sound like a different instrument! Not a pretty picture. Just think what civilisation will have lost, when it gets to that stage. [/color]

OK, one last try. It won't ever happen. Not now. Not ever. Fiddlers don't want to give up scraping. Horn players don't want to give up blowing. And concertina players don't want to give up pumping away. But sometimes we like to let our hair down a little ...

Chris

Sorry Chris, I'm just picturing an orchestra of the future, with say 40 musicians, all sitting holding the same little plastic musical box, but each switched to sound like a different instrument! Not a pretty picture. Just think what civilisation will have lost, when it gets to that stage. [/color]

OK, one last try. It won't ever happen. Not now. Not ever. Fiddlers don't want to give up scraping. Horn players don't want to give up blowing. And concertina players don't want to give up pumping away. But sometimes we like to let our hair down a little ...

Chris

I certainly hope you are right, Chris.

I must say though, I don't appreciate the dig about letting your hair down!

It's not my fault I must sport a traditional very wide central parting! :(

Of course I could go down the road of wearing one of those silly new fangled hairpieces!

But, just like these midi Concertina thingies, I don't think they fool anyone, no matter who wears them! :D

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

OK, one last try. It won't ever happen. Not now. Not ever. Fiddlers don't want to give up scraping. Horn players don't want to give up blowing. And concertina players don't want to give up pumping away.

I quite agree. Making music is a physical activity. A big part of the satisfaction and enjoyment comes from that direct physical relationship between what you are doing with your hands (and lips on a wind instrument) and the sound you are making. I think that counts for the audience too: the connection between what you can see and what you can hear. It's about more than the sound.

Otherwise, orchestras would be much smaller, with each musician playing keyboard. We've had the technology for years.