Wheatstone Memorial 2009 Mornington Crescent Game

Hi again,

Once again it is that time of the year again when, with the forbearance of the other forum members we commemorate Charles Wheatstone's birth with a round of his favourite game.

Last year's winner was of course Samantha, and tradition dictates that the previous year's winner sets any special rules and makes the first move. Unfortunately Samantha has not been replying to emails, though this is not surprising in view of her active life. However I do know that she has been down in the Arran library researching the topic, aided and abetted by the two kindly old archivists, Curly Smith and Chalky White. Samantha was saying she's been helping them rearrange their work rostas recently - Chalky was getting a bit worried that Samantha might reduce his overtime shift, but cheered up when instead he saw her shorten Curly's...

I shall suggest then that we play completely straight rules, i.e. the 1702 Waverley Rules as used in international competition, with the standard opener:-

Turnham Green

Chris

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Chalky was getting a bit worried that Samantha might reduce his overtime shift, but cheered up when instead he saw her shorten Curly's...

Aaargh! .......

that one was a worthy memorial to Humph

:P

And for those on t'other side of pond "look away NOW" ... this might get worse

""

Oh no you don't!

Last year that move was absolutely devasting, but after a years research;

Here it comes.. . .

But where is it....? Are you snowed in?

Can't wait any longer. Walked to....

Ealing Common

So I can pop into Hobgoblin on the way and do a spot of shopping down oxford street

Tottenham Court Road

""

I believe that move is called the Boris explination ;) :P

Edited by LDT

So I can pop into Hobgoblin on the way and do a spot of shopping down oxford street

Tottenham Court Road

Oh! Good move, good move!

I believe that move is called the Boris explination ;) :P

Actually, I think you'll find that in the 1702 Waverley Rules, the Boris explination (sic) is not allowed, as there is the small but finite risk of a continuous Nim Loop being inadvertently set up, with consequent standstill events for all players. The Burns Haggis diversion is to be preferred instead. But this time, I think you might just have got away with it. (phew!)

Incidentally, I assume that should a 'snow event' occur in mid-play, we will invoke the Michael Fish hurricane adaptation?

Tottenham Court Road

I'll play Goodge Street to get things moving again.

PS

I'm assuming that despite using 1702 Waverley Rules, Scots are allowed to play.

A little known clause in the 1707 Treaty of Union harmonised various sporting laws, and included the repeal of the Scottish Act of Parliament of 1457 banning Golf and "sundrie other sportes" in favour of Archery. :angry:

This act was a major hindrance to the advance of Mornington Crescent in Scotland, hence the preference for Morningside Crescent.

Tottenham Court Road

I'll play Goodge Street to get things moving again.

PS

I'm assuming that despite using 1702 Waverley Rules, Scots are allowed to play.

A little known clause in the 1707 Treaty of Union harmonised various sporting laws, and included the repeal of the Scottish Act of Parliament of 1457 banning Golf and "sundrie other sportes" in favour of Archery. :angry:

This act was a major hindrance to the advance of Mornington Crescent in Scotland, hence the preference for Morningside Crescent.

I know it's a tight SQUEEZE and the place doesn't still exist ..... but it probably did in 1702 so I'll play

"WHITE LION PASSAGE".

If the chairman decides this is an "ill eagle" move, my alternative is 23 PRAED STREET.

John

Well of course our favourite scientist got involved in this and the Wheatstone Amendment of 1850 permits play from all current and former colonial territories (vide Wikipedia).

"WHITE LION PASSAGE".

If the chairman decides this is an "ill eagle" move, my alternative is 23 PRAED STREET.

Neither move is ill-egal, though any move on the odd side of Praed Street could well be regarded as ill-judged. So I shall respond to White Lion Passage with

Trafalgar Square

(second lion on the right)

Chris