top end english treble sought

scoopet

still looking for an excellent aeola or edeophone,

preferably metal ended,but would consider amboyna,tortoiseshell? or ebony

please look in all garages and corners of attics!!!

money is now really burning a big hole in my jeans pocket....

best wishes,

simon

best wishes,

simon

I visited Chris Algar a fortnight ago and he had many of these instruments in stock at Barleycorn.

Ian

simon

I visited Chris Algar a fortnight ago and he had many of these instruments in stock at Barleycorn.

Ian

I wish you hadn't told me that.... it's only 30 min drive away!

best wishes,

simon

Ian

I happen to know that Simon paid a visit to a certain Mr Algar a while ago and came home empty-handed. Perhaps his stock has changed since then. You never know, Simon!

Chris

sell me your edeophone chris, and I'll wear proper trousers for the rest of my days....think of all the compost and seeds you could buy with the money!! :blink:

So? Or should that be sow, eh Simon? Sorry, Simon, no chance! You will just have to be patient. The other thing you can do is contact Colin Dipper. He sometimes gets asked to sell concertinas on behalf of their owner - just ask Ptarmigan!

Chris

sell me your edeophone chris, and I'll wear proper trousers for the rest of my days....think of all the compost and seeds you could buy with the money!! :blink:

The other thing you can do is contact Colin Dipper. He sometimes gets asked to sell concertinas on behalf of their owner - just ask Ptarmigan!

Chris

Indeed, he does. That's how I acquired my Aeola Baritone-treble. Mike

Hello Simon,

Might my Wheatstone Aeola Tortoiseshell #31203 be of interest?

Superb instrument in every way. Completely gone-over by Steve Dickinson.

I purchased it in exceptional condition from the family of the original owner who played it in concertina bands and simchas throughout his lifetime in New York City.

Be Well,

Dan Stenersen

Colorado, USA

Hello Simon,

Might my Wheatstone Aeola Tortoiseshell #31203 be of interest?

Superb instrument in every way. Completely gone-over by Steve Dickinson.

I purchased it in exceptional condition from the family of the original owner who played it in concertina bands and simchas throughout his lifetime in New York City.

Be Well,

Dan Stenersen

Colorado, USA

I don't want to put a spoke in the wheel but you may wish to consider the following regarding the use of tortoiseshell as a material. Tortoiseshell or tortoise shell is a material produced mainly from the shell of the hawksbill turtle, an endangered species. It was widely used in the 1960s and 1970s in the manufacture of items such as combs, sunglasses, guitar picks and knitting needles. In 1973, the trade of tortoiseshell worldwide was banned under CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species), and like items made from ivory, unless they are proven to be over a hundred years old, may be siezed by customs officials if discovered on importation, confiscated, and even destroyed! A sad end for an exotic concertina.

Chris

Hello Chris,

Your concern is very well founded.

Fortunately, since being in my possession, the Horniman ledgers and its papers have served it well and kept it quite safe from the irrational and narrow-minded extremists who would destroy anything composed of tortoise.

According to the Horniman ledgers, this concertina was made long before the turtles were endangered and long before the CITES treaty was ever conceived. July 1926, to be precise.

By the time of the CITES treaty, the original owner had played it in the Labor Union Halls and the Workmen's Circle Socials in New York City for nearly 50 years.

It is truly sad that due to the egregious behavior of profiteers subsequent to its creation, the concertina's own existence is endangered and imperiled by those that would prefer to destroy-on-principle rather than protect and preserve something so extraordinary.

Stepping down from my soapbox, now.

Having said all of that, any change in possession of this exquisite concertina will have to be conducted in person. Aside from the customs issues, the concertina is just too precious and valuable to be subjected to the abuses and potential damage that comes with shipping.

For an amount similar to that of overnight shipping and insurance, an airline ticket to Denver can be procured. And in doing so, both the instrument and the majesty of the Rocky Mountains can be experienced first hand.

Thanks, again, Chris, for mentioning this. I sometimes forget that not everyone has become as familiar with this matter as I have.

Be Well,

Dan

Edited by danersen

Hello Chris,

Your concern is very well founded.

Fortunately, since being in my possession, the Horniman ledgers and its papers have served it well and kept it quite safe from the irrational and narrow-minded extremists who would destroy anything composed of tortoise.

According to the Horniman ledgers, this concertina was made long before the turtles were endangered and long before the CITES treaty was ever conceived. July 1926, to be precise.

By the time of the CITES treaty, the original owner had played it in the Labor Union Halls and the Workmen's Circle Socials in New York City for nearly 50 years.

It is truly sad that due to the egregious behavior of profiteers subsequent to its creation, the concertina's own existence is endangered and imperiled by those that would prefer to destroy-on-principle rather than protect and preserve something so extraordinary.

Stepping down from my soapbox, now.

Having said all of that, any change in possession of this exquisite concertina will have to be conducted in person. Aside from the customs issues, the concertina is just too precious and valuable to be subjected to the abuses and potential damage that comes with shipping.

For an amount similar to that of overnight shipping and insurance, an airline ticket to Denver can be procured. And in doing so, both the instrument and the majesty of the Rocky Mountains can be experienced first hand.

Thanks, again, Chris, for mentioning this. I sometimes forget that not everyone has become as familiar with this matter as I have.

Be Well,

Dan

Yes, I empathise, though I am an animal lover. Mind you, people wear and buy all sorts of items made from leather but then cows are not an endangered species, yet! I heard of a case a while back concerning an American women pianist who imported a French made grand piano, dating from the early 1900's, back to the USA. Customs inspected it on arrival at the port, decided the white keys were made of genuine ivory and ripped all the ivory from the keys, and destroyed it, effectively ruining the piano. And, she got no compensation for this stupid policy of sticking to some crazy regulations, by these over zealous customs officials.

Chris