Carolan's Farewell to Music

CaryK

I've never posted an audio file before, but thought I'd try this one, especially since there are few samples of Herringtons to listen to and compare with other models, though the Herrington I have is a better concertina, than I am a player. Made recording of this tune last year.

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPage.do?ToId=31503

I'm playing the Herrington C/G anglo against two other tracks on which harp and Andean pipes were recorded as keyboard accompaniment by a very kind and talented friend. I've been tremendously moved by this O'Carolan piece since first I heard it. I don't do it justice, but tried to phrase it as I felt it; though you can certainly hear errors in my tempo, etc. Kept the concertina part simple with some limited vibrato, but no other "ornamentation" since I had accompaniment. I'd be curious as to what you think are the good aspects, the bad aspects, or just the plain ugly of this recording so I can learn from this effort. Thanks.

Edited by CaryK

I've never posted an audio file before, but thought I'd try this one, especially since there are few samples of Herringtons to listen to and compare with other models, though the Herrington I have is a better concertina, than I am a player. Made recording of this tune last year.

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoundPage.do?ToId=31503

I'm playing the Herrington C/G anglo against two other tracks on which harp and Andean pipes were recorded as keyboard accompaniment by a very kind and talented friend. I've been tremendously moved by this O'Carolan piece since first I heard it. I don't do it justice, but tried to phrase it as I felt it; though you can certainly hear errors in my tempo, etc. Kept the concertina part simple with some limited vibrato, but no other "ornamentation" since I had accompaniment. I'd be curious as to what you think are the good aspects, the bad aspects, or just the plain ugly of this recording so I can learn from this effort. Thanks.

First impression ... the lack of ornamentation simply adds to the sadness of the Air.

It works well, I think.

• 3 weeks later...