3 Baritones!

Ptarmigan

I posted three YouTubes of my recently acquired Æola Baritone last night & this evening.

So for anyone here, who is interested in the sound of the Bigger Beasties, here they are .... warts an' all! ;)

I've only had this instrument for less than a month, so, as it's my first Baritone, I'm still in the process of getting to know it & getting used to the bigger reeds.

Still, I reckon it sounds wonderful, so all work on it is pure pleasure.

Cheers

Dick

I posted three YouTubes of my recently acquired Æola Baritone last night & this evening.

So for anyone here, who is interested in the sound of the Bigger Beasties, here they are .... warts an' all! ;)

I've only had this instrument for less than a month, so, as it's my first Baritone, I'm still in the process of getting to know it & getting used to the bigger reeds.

Still, I reckon it sounds wonderful, so all work on it is pure pleasure.

Cheers

Dick

Lovely tone, nice glowing fire (at least after u turned the gas up for item two), and a smoking pipe of St Bruno would have made the perfect start for a long evening with a glass of..... But obviously the dogs do not agree... clearly not just tone deaf but stone deaf - are they from Staffordshire? Or perhaps they are committed supporters of The Dog Rose sound and John Kirkpatrick....

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zier...sheepskins.html

Lovely tone, nice glowing fire (at least after u turned the gas up for item two), and a smoking pipe of St Bruno would have made the perfect start for a long evening with a glass of..... But obviously the dogs do not agree... clearly not just tone deaf but stone deaf - are they from Staffordshire? Or perhaps they are committed supporters of The Dog Rose sound and John Kirkpatrick....

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zier...sheepskins.html

Thanks for the link.

However, it looks to me like John only uses the Baritone & Bass as backing instruments on those tracks .... pity! :(

Cheers

Dick

Mellow Dick! Looks like you've got a good'un.

Thanks Michael.

It's the only one I've ever seen, heard or played, so I wasn't sure, but I'm certainly absolutely delighted with it.

I'm sure the dog has moved!

Oooooooo maybe this place is haunted after all! :blink: 1.gif

Imagine the potential for haunting with the old instruments many of us have. No doubt they have had many owners each and a good selection of ones perfectly placed to haunt, so to speak.

Ian

Imagine the potential for haunting with the old instruments many of us have. No doubt they have had many owners each and a good selection of ones perfectly placed to haunt, so to speak.

Ian

Well, I guess you just never know for sure, who has been playing your vintage Concertina before you! :unsure: 1.gif 7.gif

The ex landlord of the Royal Hotel at Dungworth near Sheffield, where we sing local carols, once told me he was having a nap one afternoon and woke to hear singing and instruments coming from the walls. They were carols he remembered but not the modern instruments. Spooky! Unless the silicon in the local Millstone Grit acts as a giant chip and it was a version of SoundLantern

So think of all that devotion, breath and muscular effort that's gone into old concertinas. Has anyone ever gone to the crossroads at midnight with their squeezebox and been given the gift? It would beat all that blood, sweat and tears, but at what price, whoooooh I've got a hellhound on my tail!

So think of all that devotion, breath and muscular effort that's gone into old concertinas. Has anyone ever gone to the crossroads at midnight with their squeezebox and been given the gift? It would beat all that blood, sweat and tears, but at what price, whoooooh I've got a hellhound on my tail!

Thanks for this great idea. To save all the agony of playing the same couple of notes hundreds (thousands?) of times to get them right, I can go to my local crossroads (where the gallows were too) and have a word with Old Nick or Carfax or Woden, whichever god of the crossroads I manage to call up. I'm definitely tempted.

Ian

Thanks for this great idea. To save all the agony of playing the same couple of notes hundreds (thousands?) of times to get them right, I can go to my local crossroads (where the gallows were too) and have a word with Old Nick or Carfax or Woden, whichever god of the crossroads I manage to call up. I'm definitely tempted.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Appropriate for this time of year, just like Tam O'Shanter, make sure you have water nearby, just in case you need to exit stage left, at great speed! :lol:

Cheers

Dick

Robert Johnson the blues player did it so it must work! And Michael Coleman the fiddler apparently got lost one night and ended up sleeping on a a fairy hill ( he was full of poteen ) and came back gifted.

Maybe people didn't listen to musicians till they got good and later assumed the 10,000 hours practising were spent being posessed! I suppose it got them off the hook for fiddling and squeezing in the woodshed or turfshed rather than gettng a proper job.

No musician was ever valued till he or she was good. Then everyone knew him or her as a youngster and taught them all they know!

Yours

69 year old from Sheffield and still lyiing around on fairy hills at night with loose bowells ( sorry bellows)

Maybe people didn't listen to musicians till they got good and later assumed the 10,000 hours practising were spent being posessed!

I don't know about being possesed, Michael! :huh:

But most musicians I know, have probably spent at least 10,000 hours ........ being pished! 16.gif

:lol: