Current makes of concertina

Gosh, my ears have been burning! Thanks to Sunbeamer's post I was given the impetus to log back in, I've been very neglectful.

Couple of points in reply to the interest shown above 1. I've got a two year waiting list due to slow turnaround rather than anything else, as making concertinas isn't my full time job, however I do have a couple of commissions in the pipeline at the moment. 2. I haven't made over a hundred concertinas, I'm just going to end up having a cryptic numbering system a la Jeffries (well, I won't be emulating the sound anytime soon). I've actually made 6 for other people, other than my own experiments, all hybrids. I'm hoping to develop a new "hybrid reed",  a discussion I may start elsewhere in the forum.

Plus I've settled on "Flying Duck Concertinas" as a name, as I don't only do Vegan instruments. I live near ponds.

Thanks for adding me, and thanks to Sunbeamer for showing off his new concertina, it was a pleasure to make. I should mention that the bellows are by the extremely talented Peter O'Connor.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2020 at 3:20 PM, Pistachio Dreamer said:

Gosh, my ears have been burning! Thanks to Sunbeamer's post I was given the impetus to log back in, I've been very neglectful.

Couple of points in reply to the interest shown above 1. I've got a two year waiting list due to slow turnaround rather than anything else, as making concertinas isn't my full time job, however I do have a couple of commissions in the pipeline at the moment. 2. I haven't made over a hundred concertinas, I'm just going to end up having a cryptic numbering system a la Jeffries (well, I won't be emulating the sound anytime soon). I've actually made 6 for other people, other than my own experiments, all hybrids. I'm hoping to develop a new "hybrid reed",  a discussion I may start elsewhere in the forum.

Plus I've settled on "Flying Duck Concertinas" as a name, as I don't only do Vegan instruments. I live near ponds.

Thanks for adding me, and thanks to Sunbeamer for showing off his new concertina, it was a pleasure to make. I should mention that the bellows are by the extremely talented Peter O'Connor.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul.  I have updated the list.

Daniel

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Even though they're defunct brands in many cases, would it be useful to list the older Italian badge-names (Riccordi, Renelli, etc), and also maybe note which brand names are now badged onto China-produced instruments (Bonetti, etc.)?

I know the list is mostly for nicer makes, but I think that listing all the Chinese/German/Italian badges of the cheaper starters would be good for SEO, get more novices to come across this forum.

3 hours ago, MatthewVanitas said:

Even though they're defunct brands in many cases, would it be useful to list the older Italian badge-names (Riccordi, Renelli, etc), and also maybe note which brand names are now badged onto China-produced instruments (Bonetti, etc.)?

I know the list is mostly for nicer makes, but I think that listing all the Chinese/German/Italian badges of the cheaper starters would be good for SEO, get more novices to come across this forum.

Matthew - I have the feeling that we had this same discussion several years ago, perhaps higher up on this same thread.  I still don't want to do it - way too much work, too unstable a situation, and often hard to know.  If it says Made in Italy and it's less than 50 or so years old, it's probably made by Brunner/Stagi/Bastari.  Other than that it's too complicated.  I'm much more comfortable with people asking about specific instruments that they're thinking about buying.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 12:20 AM, Pistachio Dreamer said:

Paul.

Helo Peter, I am searching for conact data to Peter OConnors from Ireladn

You may send me this data to bamboomotion@gmx.de

Thanks n advance.

By the way I listended the sound of your concertina on Youtube, liked it, bueatiful.

Regars JD

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for information on the maker of a concertina marked "Thomas Concertina with serial number 10.  The concetina is GD stainless steel ends, 7 fold bellows. It's not Jeff Thomas of http://www.thomasconcertinas.com/.  I've been in touch with Jeff and his number 10 is CG wood ends and 6 fold bellows.

There is a name of an owner inside and a date in 1986

Any clues?

IMG_2059.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Just a small update for those that may be interested.

Last month, I had contact with a South African concertina luthier, Gys Mans.

He told me that he had actually stopped production due to the current COVID19 pandemic. 

He says he may restart later this year when things are settled, but who knows?

I have been in his waiting list for two years and a half. 

Totani

On 7/18/2021 at 11:11 PM, Łukasz Martynowicz said:

I see that Bob Tedrow is still listed - some time ago he has announced on his facebook page that he’s retiring and he won’t build concertinas anymore.

I wrote to Bob yesterday to ask about this.  His reply: "Hello Daniel, at the moment, I am not building. I am taking maintenance gigs on my previous builds and am a dealer for Concertina Connection instruments. I may return to building in the future. Do with me what you will. I am still here."  

Since there are several other makers on the list who are not currently taking orders, I will leave Bob's listing as it is now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Stagi W-12 Deluxe (could be W-15) on Ebay in mint condition, case and all. 30K Anglo with nice wood and a brown leather bellows. I think I got a great deal. I saw them listed used in three places for $400, $550 and $600, I paid $276 after shipping and tax. Wasn't listed in the best category so no one interested in concertinas really saw it. Anyone ever held and played this model? Another example of Ebay being good for buyers and not so good for sellers.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.44.24 PM.png

Edited by Everett
add

• 4 weeks later...