Current makes of concertina

I was having a look at the All About Accordions site and saw this note about their "Garvey" Anglo....

I WILL HAVE A NEW GARVEY CONCERTINA AVAILABLE IN MARCH WHICH WILL BE A MID RANGE CONCERTINA,USING SUTTNER PARTS INCLUDING BUTTONS /LEVERS ETC.ITS IN PRODUCTION AT THE MOMENT

This concertina at euro800 is best described as a very good and well designed student model with nothing to compete with it only the mid range concertinas like the Morse or the Dublin concertina or AC Norman.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this - particularly if it's got Suttner parts.

On their second-hand page they also have "Garvey" Anglos - 6 months old for 725 Euros. No mention of Suttner parts, so presumably this is a previous design?

Edited by Woody

I was having a look at the All About Accordions site and saw this note about their "Garvey" Anglo....

I WILL HAVE A NEW GARVEY CONCERTINA AVAILABLE IN MARCH WHICH WILL BE A MID RANGE CONCERTINA,USING SUTTNER PARTS INCLUDING BUTTONS /LEVERS ETC.ITS IN PRODUCTION AT THE MOMENT

This concertina at euro800 is best described as a very good and well designed student model with nothing to compete with it only the mid range concertinas like the Morse or the Dublin concertina or AC Norman.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this - particularly if it's got Suttner parts.

On their second-hand page they also have "Garvey" Anglos - 6 months old for 725 Euros. No mention of Suttner parts, so presumably this is a previous design?

See this thread for discussion of what you refer to as the "previous design".

Thanks Daniel though I was already aware of that thread. Were the issues raised ever resolved? On a related note I haven't found any reference on the web where somebody has written a review so I wonder whether the previous versions made it to market or whether these "second-hand" ones are in fact the prototypes of that version.

Thanks Daniel though I was already aware of that thread. Were the issues raised ever resolved? On a related note I haven't found any reference on the web where somebody has written a review so I wonder whether the previous versions made it to market or whether these "second-hand" ones are in fact the prototypes of that version.

I don't know the answer to either question.

Hi Daniel,

Maybe I could be added to the current list of concertina-makers.

Chris vonderBorch, Tasmania.

Makes vintage traditional concertinas with hand-made reeds.

Mainly English and some Anglo concertinas

Not a commercial maker; basically an "experimenter" seeking the "Holy Grail"

Chris--

As we discussed via e-mail, this is a list of concertina makes available for sale. If you start making instruments for purchase by others, let me know and I'll add your name.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Maybe I could be added to the current list of concertina-makers.

Chris vonderBorch, Tasmania.

Makes vintage traditional concertinas with hand-made reeds.

Mainly English and some Anglo concertinas

Not a commercial maker; basically an "experimenter" seeking the "Holy Grail"

• 4 weeks later...

Thomas Guest was discussed elsewhere in this forum and there's one on Ebay. Was it ever determined if he made them or just retailed them under his name?

I tried to paste links but they don't work for some reason.

Thanks!

This list is a list of current makers only. There's a list of historic British makers somewhere, but I'm not the one who maintains it.

Thomas Guest was discussed elsewhere in this forum and there's one on Ebay. Was it ever determined if he made them or just retailed them under his name?

I tried to paste links but they don't work for some reason.

Thanks!

Is this list to include bandoneones, Chemnitzers, etc? Or mainly just the concertina types played in the Anglophone world? (Though I guess Wisconsin/Minnesota counts as Anglophone).

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about whatever Argentine and Uruguayan makers might be turning out bandoneons (particularly unisonoric).

Is this list to include bandoneones, Chemnitzers, etc? Or mainly just the concertina types played in the Anglophone world? (Though I guess Wisconsin/Minnesota counts as Anglophone).

I'd definitely be interested in hearing about whatever Argentine and Uruguayan makers might be turning out bandoneons (particularly unisonoric).

Interesting question. I guess I had intended it to be for the smaller concertinas only, not the big ones like bandoneons and Chemnitzers. I do know a little about bandoneon makers (Geuns, Gutjahr and Hartenhauer come to mind, and there might be more) but they're all in Europe, not South America.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

My impression as admin is that we don't have too many experts in Chemnitzer/Bandoneon/Carlsfelder visiting C.net. If/when we do, I'd be happy to see such information (makers thereof) compiled. A separate thread would be justified. Anyone who has enough info to start such a list is invited to let me know.

Ken

Ken--

I think I've got enough info to start such a list -- I just don't want to be responsible for maintaining it! I don't have regular contact with the Chemnitzer or Bandoneon worlds so I wouldn't have info fall into my lap the way it does for this list. (I don't know of anyone currently building Carlsfelders.) But if someone else wants to "own" a Chenmitzer/Bandoneon list, I'd be willing to do a first draft. The ideal owner would have a good reading knowledge of German, which I do not.

My impression as admin is that we don't have too many experts in Chemnitzer/Bandoneon/Carlsfelder visiting C.net. If/when we do, I'd be happy to see such information (makers thereof) compiled. A separate thread would be justified. Anyone who has enough info to start such a list is invited to let me know.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

Interesting question. I guess I had intended it to be for the smaller concertinas only, not the big ones like bandoneons and Chemnitzers. I do know a little about bandoneon makers (Geuns, Gutjahr and Hartenhauer come to mind, and there might be more) but they're all in Europe, not South America.

Little side note: Bandoneons are still made in Germany. Not in SA. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently came across this link on the Chiff and Fipple Forum on Free Reed instruments. http://www.akkordeonwerkstatt.ch/

While they are obviously primarily accordeon makers, they do appear to make a concertina. I say "appear" because I can't read German, so it's my assumption that they make them rather than re-badge them or act as agents for someone else. Of course, I am open to correction. Apologies if they have been mentioned on this thread before. I looked and could not find them, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Tom Ryan

Thanks, Tom. I hadn't been aware of them. The only concertina I spotted on their site was a 10-button 1-row kit that doesn't look like anything I've seen before, so I'm pretty sure that they actually make it:

bsc2.jpg

Here's a Google translation of the page:

The Concertina (concertina) to build your own -

The finished instrument is diatonic, has 10 buttons and corresponds to the C-series of two or three rows of Concertinas. The scale runs from left seamlessly into the right hand.

For 260 SFr. We provide everything necessary for the construction of the kit in a concertina-Kartonkistchen:

• The complete prepared, sorted material (over 250 items)

• The prepared voice-install kit

• Resources

• Detailed plans and instructions

The instrument is technically simple as possible, but not a toy with amazing range!

The kit-box can be delivered as a package. Of course, we offer assistance with problems.

Matching the Bastelörgeli we provide for those interested an A3 photo sheet on "How does my Örgeli" is available. All kits can be sent by mail werden.Für more information, click on the following representations, or to the PDF overview "Örgeli kits (all variants) at the bottom.

Have fun.

Of course, we offer assistance if you should unexpectedly lose its nerve.

Definitely an odd one, but I guess I should add it to the list. Does anyone who actually reads German have anything to add?

I recently came across this link on the Chiff and Fipple Forum on Free Reed instruments. http://www.akkordeonwerkstatt.ch/

While they are obviously primarily accordeon makers, they do appear to make a concertina. I say "appear" because I can't read German, so it's my assumption that they make them rather than re-badge them or act as agents for someone else. Of course, I am open to correction. Apologies if they have been mentioned on this thread before. I looked and could not find them, but my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Tom Ryan

I've just looked around the "Akkordeon-Werkstatt" (or translated by Google into English: "Accordion Workshop") site, great find! It says they're based in Rorschach in Switzerland. I found several concertinas they make, and a sound sample. Here's their concertina page (here's the English translation), which will play the short sound sample when you load it.

c3-2.jpgc3-1.jpg

According to this PDF File, they make double-voiced 20 or 30 button concertinas in a 180mm size (about 7.1"), and 20 or 30 button single-reed anglos in a 156mm size (about 6.15").

They also make Bandoneons with chromatic button accordion fingering on both sides! I will have to ask if they can make me a custom Wicki (Hayden) accordion...Kaspar Wicki was Swiss after all!

I wonder what kind of reeds and internal construction methods they use, and what their prices are...and who they're selling to (if anyone yet).

I've just looked around the "Akkordeon-Werkstatt" (or translated by Google into English: "Accordion Workshop") site, great find! It says they're based in Rorschach in Switzerland. I found several concertinas they make, and a sound sample. Here's their concertina page (here's the English translation), which will play the short sound sample when you load it.

According to this PDF File, they make double-voiced 20 or 30 button concertinas in a 180mm size (about 7.1"), and 20 or 30 button single-reed anglos in a 156mm size (about 6.15").

They also make Bandoneons with chromatic button accordion fingering on both sides! I will have to ask if they can make me a custom Wicki (Hayden) accordion...Kaspar Wicki was Swiss after all!

Edited by Daniel Hersh