Now is the winter of my discontent.

Well, I was taking off my socks. Thats it. I slid my fingers down the back of my ankle and pushed the sock along with it. As I rounded my heel, I gave an extra push to round the bulge of my heel, and POP!...

It hurt for a few seconds and then, not so much, but my left ring finger tip (last joint) stands at about 40 degrees from the rest to the fingers and I have no control over it. Seems I broke the tendon connection to the last bone.

Two months in a splint. Even typing this is work, but I need some sympathy so I am complaining to you all....I was taking off my socks for God's sake.

Waaaa :( :( :(

FJB

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ow! That had to hurt.

On the positive side you can tell everyone you got into a fight with a Sumo wrestler who insulted your concertina, so you had to open a can of whoop ass on him. While you may have walked away with an injured finger, they should see what you did to him!

that really stinks! especially the reason it happened.... it always helps when you injure yourself doing something... you know... harmful? that's totally random and senseless.

are you going to give up the concertina for two months then? how will you keep your sanity?

Cripes, you'd think that someone who played concertina and fiddle (presumably) would have extra strength in their digits. I'm a bit prone to hand injury myself but usually when the hands are cold - I've sort of dislocated thumbs taking off wetsuits for example but thankfully usually recover in a day or so.

Well, I was taking off my socks. Thats it. I slid my fingers down the back of my ankle and pushed the sock along with it. As I rounded my heel, I gave an extra push to round the bulge of my heel, and POP!...

It could have been worse...you could have been putting on tights....and laddered them and broken a nail ;)

my left ring finger tip (last joint) stands at about 40 degrees from the rest to the fingers

I can only get mine to bend back about 10 degree angle..but then I'm double jointed.

btw. this is me trying to cheer you up.

Edited by LDT

my son did t pulling off his underpants it's quite common! The finger not the pants!

Just to encourage you, I nearly sliced off my left hand pinkie ( in my mid 60s) when a beer glas shattered when I was serving in our pub. After microsurgery feeling and use returned and it got better quite quickly and now I am using it all the time on the left hand F sharp on my Anglo

bestof luck

Mike

A mallet finger. I had the same about a year ago: Had some glue left on my middle finger, rubbed it in the palm of my left hand, and *snip*. Incredible, you can damage your own body that way in a split second!

I had it in a splint for no more than five weeks, to make sure, the joint wouldn't grow stiff. The finger never became really straight again, but I'm used to that now. And I'm glad it totally regained its flexibility.

The day it happened:

post-1580-1233318936_thumb.jpg

And a year after:

post-1580-1233320298_thumb.jpg

In those five weeks, I couldn't keep my hands of my concertina (english), so I used my ring finger instead of my middle finger for the third row as well. That helped me afterwards in alternative fingering.

FJB, I hope you'll recover as well as I did!

Now I am glad I sent the origial message about my finger. Mine looked just like that. I am a bit worried. You had no surgery? Just a splint. any advice about splints.

My doctor said I could do anyting I wanted to, play fiddle, ect. He never mentioned splints. He is setting me up for an ortho apointment next week. So then I went on line and found everyone advising a splint, so I made one for myself. If its going to be 6-8 weeks I figure the soooner I get started the better.

Thanks for the photos too.. I am not alone...

Fjb

Edited by fiddlerjoebob

It could have been worse...you could have been putting on tights....and laddered them and broken a nail ;)

my left ring finger tip (last joint) stands at about 40 degrees from the rest to the fingers

I can only get mine to bend back about 10 degree angle..but then I'm double jointed.

btw. this is me trying to cheer you up.

Thanks, I did get a good laugh at the broken nail coment....

fjb

Or I should sign Non-fiddlerjoebob, at least for a few months.....

My sympathies also. Could have been worse. A friend of ours was on a skiing holiday, but managed to break her leg falling off the pavement (US: sidewalk). It was a bad break, and four years later she still needs crutches to walk.

so you had to open a can of whoop ass on him.

Que? :unsure:

Chris

so you had to open a can of whoop ass on him.

Que? :unsure:

Chris

American slang for easily and thoroughly beating up another person in a fight. See also "beat the sh^t out of him".

sorry about the finger, fiddlerjoebob :( Once, a few weeks before a concert, I hyperextended my right first finger by having it try to occupy the same space at the same time as my dog's head (see avatar). The dog was fine; I was in a splint for a week.

You have my sympathy. 3 years ago I broke my index finger on my left hand playing football. I was playing in goal and the ball hit me on the end of the finger and broke the bone lengthways from the main knuckle. It took 3 hours of microsurgery and 2 months of recovery to sort it out. It is as bent as a dog's back leg, but it works and I can play my concertina with no problems.

Don't get too down. these things happen. Just be thankful that it can be sorted out.

In the meantime, try the harmonica.

Nigel

...Seems I broke the tendon connection to the last bone...

By a strange coincidence I was hearing about a similar injury last night from a fiddler mate. She knew a guitarist who did in a finger tendon doing something mundane. His finger was getting better but he rushed the recovery, started playing too early, buggered up the finger for good and is now an ex-guitarist. Take it easy & I hope you're back in action soon.

At least you can explain what happened. A friend many years ago in Edinburgh did something very similar but refused to tell us how it happened. When we finally put together all the details it seems he did it playing rugby. He missed a tackle and the opposing player ran past him. Not one to give up so easily, he grabbed the guys shorts from behind and got his finger stuck in his underwear :blink: