Morriss: A life with bells on

This is being discussed on Mudcat and anything good for the Morris should be good for the concertina world I would think.

http://www.morrismovie.com/

The problem is that the film has not managed to get to the point of acceptance for national release. Yes, it pokes fun, but apparently in a good humoured way and an article in the Daily Mail revealed that the actors found themselves being drawn in more and more until the point where they went out of their way to dance when off camera.

I would like to get it into the mainstream cinemas.

Robin Madge

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is being discussed on Mudcat and anything good for the Morris should be good for the concertina world I would think.

http://www.morrismovie.com/

The problem is that the film has not managed to get to the point of acceptance for national release. Yes, it pokes fun, but apparently in a good humoured way and an article in the Daily Mail revealed that the actors found themselves being drawn in more and more until the point where they went out of their way to dance when off camera.

I would like to get it into the mainstream cinemas.

Robin Madge

Amazing!

PS - the "ball is now rolling" in Croydon, with the local Morris teams prepared to see whether this film can be shown at a local venue. Thanks, Robin!

Edited by PeterT

Amazing!

PS - the "ball is now rolling" in Croydon, with the local Morris teams prepared to see whether this film can be shown at a local venue. Thanks, Robin!

Looks fun and I recognise many of the actors in it, some are even big ones. Surely that would be enough to get it a release in mainstream cinemas?

Ian

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that only the other week, the Morris Ring brought Morris into the news for the first time since, well, probably for the first time?

Isn't it? :unsure:

Well spotted Dave. Or are we both cynics?

Ian

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that only the other week, the Morris Ring brought Morris into the news for the first time since, well, probably for the first time?

Ian

all three of us might well be. But at least it's something we'd like publicised.

Ian

all three of us might well be. But at least it's something we'd like publicised.

Is this a joke, or a real movie?

Is this a joke, or a real movie?

It's a real movie - and if it manages to acquire cult status (and a wider distribution than is currently suggested), it might even bring a much-needed injection of young dancers into the Morris. Which would be nice. :)

I live in a very small town called Brasstown in Western North Carolina. In this small area we have a Border Morris, Garland, Northwest clog and two rapper sword teams. I play in the band so that makes for more folks who would think that the movie would be fun to watch. Does anyone know if it will come to the US. Who would one contact to make such a request?

Pam Howard

Brasstown, NC

I suspect, if it comes to the US, it will be in a limited release. There are quite a few good movies that aren't in more than a few cities. "The Field" with Richard Harris, Sean Bean, and John Hurt comes to mind. It was only for a very short while in New York, and Los Angeles. Nowhere else. If it was on TV, I missed it. Still looking for it, but no luck. "Brassed Off" is another one from 1997. It took more than 10 years to see it again, but I found it on the internet just before Christmas. Closing the Ring, released in Canada in Sept, 07 is supposed to have been released in the US Jan 9 to a limited release, but I haven't been able to find out where.

I'm hopeful it does make it to this side of the pond. It looks like a good story with some good music, but I have my doubts. If it does come over, I'm guessing it will be limited and maybe a long wait.

Thanks

Leo :(

At the moment, it's only being shown in the west country. But I would think the first thing for anyone elsewhere in the UK (or overseas) to do is to contact and lobby the producers themselves at film@morrismovie.com (see the movie website for details & info) as I suspect they'd love it to be more widely distributed.