My new Morse Ceili

Hello everybody;

Well, I did it. Broke my piggy bank and purchased a gorgeous Morse Ceili C/G Jeffries layout with a lovely black finish. So, please, I would like to ask a couple of questions because I don't figure how to deal with with it:

1) My old box is a Stagi pretty less responsive and harder to play, so I had to struggle and fight with it more than play it. Is there any chance I could screw up my new 'tina playing it that hard?

2) One of the reeds of my Stagi - the 3rd one in the RH, G row; I think is a D - stopped sounding suddenly. Being a bit handyman, is there any possibility I could fix it by myself?

BTW, I play Irish traditional music. So, very few chords, - if any - apart from the ocassional drone.

Thanks in advance. If wasn't for this amazing community, I wouldn't had the less idea about concertinas!

Cheers,

Fer

1) My old box is a Stagi pretty less responsive and harder to play, so I had to struggle and fight with it more than play it. Is there any chance I could screw up my new 'tina playing it that hard?

Hi Fergus,

Have you received your Morse yet? I'm in the same boat. I've been playing a Rochelle for about 8 months, and just recently got a Morse. I didn't think the Rochelle was too hard to play, not having anything to compare it with, but now that I have the Morse, the Rochelle does feel like a bit of a struggle. I haven't had any problems going back and forth between the two, however (I keep the Rochelle at work for a lunch-hour practice), and I don't think there is any danger of "over-playing" the Morse. I think you'll find that the bellows are so smooth and easy that you won't be able to fight with it. One thing that does take a bit of adjustment is the sensitivity of the buttons. The Morse needs a much lighter touch, and I find I can't get away with sloppy fingering like I can on the Rochelle, because everything you do to the Morse produces a sound! But it only takes a few bars of playing to make the adjustment.

Congratulations! If you are like me, you will find yourself playing even more, because it won't wear you out!

Exactly, Bill!

When the Morse arrived I though: beatiful and light box, let's see how it works... and after playing a couple of tunes... well, where's the trick? It's too easy! I mean, my small left finger falls exactly and effortlessy on the F#, the notes can be played nicely slurred... even if you play in the rows!

And another feature with wich I'm delighted is the ability of this little beast to play from piano to forte - never able with the Stagy. Basically, the Stagi is On/Off, no subtleties at all.

Happened to me the same with my main instrument. After years of play/fighting with a good, but hard german fiddle, I got a french one in more or less the same range - if not a little better - but a lot easier to play and a lot richer in undertones. Well, my playing inproved a 200%! So, I hope to bring my Morse to the local session in a couple months maximum :lol:

Cheers

Nah.

I sometimes use a Morse G/D for Morris. Play the living heck out of it, it's gone 4 years without even being opened for repairs.

Nah.

I sometimes use a Morse G/D for Morris. Play the living heck out of it, it's gone 4 years without even being opened for repairs.

Right! So, I supose that if it passed the Morris test, can then carry on with anything... ;)

Exactly. It's gotten rained on, snowed on, kicked and hit a few times with sticks, but still performs flawlessly.

Agreed with everything above.

I find sloppy fingering the largest problem, as I get some badly timed, involuntary slap-rolls (phantom button).

Also some triplets (EF#G) on the inner row, tends to respond differently than on my Stagi, but I have only played my Morse (C/G Jeff) since Saturday morning.

Big thanks to all the lovely people over there in Sunderland, Mass.!

Snorre