Looking to upgrade

pipives

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 30 key G/D Norman that I've had for many years and love dearly to something a bit better. Just wondering if anyone knows of anyhing out there at the moment.

Preferably Lachenal, and obivously 30 key (or more would be better). Anything in reasonable, playable condition considered. Possibly even if there's a decent Ab/Eb aorund that I could get and then have tuned to G/D, I would look into that too,

Cheers

Pip

Have a chat with Chris Algar. You never know ...

Chris

I have. He hasn't got anything at the mo, although he knows what I'm looking for if anything comes up. Just thought I'd put a message out here, in case anything was on the market that Chris didn't know of!

I believe Theo of The Box Place may be close by and he has a 30b Ab/Eb that might make the journey to G/D.

http://www.theboxplace.co.uk/boxshop-concertinas.htm

Greg

Aye, Theo is close by, and he does have a box like that. Only the Norman I already play is a better box than that little Ab/Eb (in my opinion). Although there's nothing actually wrong with that box Theo has, in fact it's quite nice, I'm just being a bit fussy!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 30 key G/D Norman .....

.....Preferably Lachenal,

Depends what you see as an upgrade. I don't think there will be many Lachenals that will beat the Norman on responsiveness, or loudness, but of course the tone will be much different. Perhaps a Connor with Lachenal reeds would fit the bill?

Hi everyone,

Depends what you see as an upgrade. I don't think there will be many Lachenals that will beat the Norman on responsiveness, or loudness, but of course the tone will be much different. Perhaps a Connor with Lachenal reeds would fit the bill?

The only reason I said preferably Lachenal is because so far most people I've spoken to ahve suggested looking for high end Lachenal in good condition. I have to say, there isn't goig to be much that will beat the responiveness or loudness of the Norman, but the tone will be completely different and if I could find a 36 key for example, the extra buttons would come in real handy!

I would echo, "Have a chat with Chris Algar."

In the past 6 months I've seen Algar about a G/D. . . and have come away with, in his words, "the best G/D I've ever seen." I managed to play a number of instruments, including a few, "quite dear". The box I came away with is a remarkable instrument which feels like a C/G rather than a G/D.

In the end, I think it depends on how much you're willing to spend and how long you're willing to wait. If you're in touch with Algar regularly, I'd expect you'll manage to meet your needs.

I'm pleased as punch with my new box. . .

lloyd

Hi everyone,

My experience is similar to Theo's. _Every_ Norman I have ever played is superior (especially in action and reed response) to about 90% of all the Lachenal anglos I have owned or played. I suspect you may need to consider something better grade in the vintage world or newly-made with traditional reeds to get what you are after. Or yes, the very exceptional Lachenal, if you are patient enough to wait for it. Good luck.

Ken

(who just hit 1000 posts here - gee, maybe I should make up some more category titles!) ;)

Well, best of luck! Not long ago I went through the same process of looking for a reasonably priced, good playing concertina-reeded G/D that didn't involve a long wait. I never did find a completely satisfactory option. If you do wind up with a Lachenal, bear in mind that even a high-end one may well have a much noisier action than your Norman (unless the original action has been replaced with a riveted one, which would of course add to the cost).

Let us know what you wind up with -- I'm sure there will be other players in the same situation who can benefit from your experience.

Hi everyone,

The only reason I said preferably Lachenal is because so far most people I've spoken to ahve suggested looking for high end Lachenal in good condition. I have to say, there isn't goig to be much that will beat the responiveness or loudness of the Norman, but the tone will be completely different and if I could find a 36 key for example, the extra buttons would come in real handy!

Well, best of luck! Not long ago I went through the same process of looking for a reasonably priced, good playing concertina-reeded G/D that didn't involve a long wait. I never did find a completely satisfactory option. If you do wind up with a Lachenal, bear in mind that even a high-end one may well have a much noisier action than your Norman (unless the original action has been replaced with a riveted one, which would of course add to the cost).

Let us know what you wind up with -- I'm sure there will be other players in the same situation who can benefit from your experience.

Hi everyone,

My 30 key Norman Anglo is now a 32 Key.Thanke to Andrew Norman ! ATB Bob

If this is possible, I will probably keep the Norman for now, as it is a lovely little box. I didn't realise Andrew could modify them that much.

Pip

My 30 key Norman Anglo is now a 32 Key.Thanke to Andrew Norman ! ATB Bob

I am Interested to know what is the tuning (C/G or G/D, jeffries or wheatstone leayout)

and what are the additional 4 notes you have now?

thanks