What is the highest price ever paid for a Concertina?

Ptarmigan

Lawrence you seem to imply that this thread sees paying a lot for a concertina in a negative way. I don't think that was the intention. It's just a matter of curiosity, how much are people willing to pay for a concertina. The idea of a price being too high is very objective that's for sure. Since I received my Dipper I don't care about any other concertina in the universe and would never sell the Dipper at any price, but I still find discussions like these interesting. US$12 000 was like CAN$16 000 a few years back, it's a very impressive number.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrence you seem to imply that this thread sees paying a lot for a concertina in a negative way. I don't think that was the intention. It's just a matter of curiosity, how much are people willing to pay for a concertina. The idea of a price being too high is very objective that's for sure. Since I received my Dipper I don't care about any other concertina in the universe and would never sell the Dipper at any price, but I still find discussions like these interesting. US$12 000 was like CAN$16 000 a few years back, it's a very impressive number.

US$12 000 was a lot of moolah a year ago and now it's a heck of a lot for many over here in the UK. But, if someone has it and wants to spend it on a fine instrument, good luck to him I say: there are worse things to spend it on that's for sure.

Ian

If this strange beauty of a plastic edeophone continues at that rate ( from 1 to 1600 Sterling in only a few hours ) it might be a candidate...

I see that this auction ended early. Does anyone have any idea why?

Steve

Probably he was made a good offer. It's not a good move to accept usually as you can do better letting it run.

If this strange beauty of a plastic edeophone continues at that rate ( from 1 to 1600 Sterling in only a few hours ) it might be a candidate...

Steve

Ebay displayed this message: The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

- John Wild

Steve

Ebay displayed this message: The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.

- John Wild

and it now says there were no bids.

Steve

- John Wild

and it now says there were no bids.

Perhaps the error was in the price?

Ian

[i would not have posted this unless.....] no worries. no one posted anything about the instrument that was not already public from either the ebay sale or past discussions here, with the exception of my own shaky recollection (with disclaimer to that effect) which proved inaccurate, as to it being re-tuned. somewhere i have encountered a jeffries ab/eb concertina or mention of one re-tuned by dipper with mention somewhere as to its fantastic voice.......

in any event, the fact is that prices are going to continue to rise, recession or no recession. the only thing that might put a brake on it is ready availability of quality concertina-reeded instruments at current new prices but with low wait times....my bet is that vintage instruments would continue to be prized, but by a much smaller potential clientele......i believe the price pressure would diminish considerably.....

Edited by ceemonster

I know this is about highest ever, but to throw two pennorth into the discussion, it may be interesting to evaluate on price per button not just top total sale cost.

It seems one well known maker suggests that when ordering a top custom tina you should work on the basis of around 100 quid (sorry UK pounds, not a plug of tobacco...) per button.

Here's a Canadian (hope its not one of those being discussed) 30 button Wheatstone which is from English speaking Toronto with a notice part in French and for sale in US dollars at 3250 (and at the pound flirting around parity that could endd up more than 100 quid per button).

http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Quality-Wheatstone...%3A1|240%3A1318

This one may also work out dearer than 100 per button if not already discussed:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wheatstone-Linota-4...%3A1|240%3A1318

[i would not have posted this unless.....] no worries. no one posted anything about the instrument that was not already public from either the ebay sale or past discussions here, with the exception of my own shaky recollection (with disclaimer to that effect) which proved inaccurate, as to it being re-tuned. somewhere i have encountered a jeffries ab/eb concertina or mention of one re-tuned by dipper with mention somewhere as to its fantastic voice.......

in any event, the fact is that prices are going to continue to rise, recession or no recession. the only thing that might put a brake on it is ready availability of quality concertina-reeded instruments at current new prices but with low wait times....my bet is that vintage instruments would continue to be prized, but by a much smaller potential clientele......i believe the price pressure would diminish considerably.....

Business opportunity for someone.... hopefully soon.

I know this is about highest ever, but to throw two pennorth into the discussion, it may be interesting to evaluate on price per button not just top total sale cost.

It seems one well known maker suggests that when ordering a top custom tina you should work on the basis of around 100 quid (sorry UK pounds, not a plug of tobacco...) per button.

Here's a Canadian (hope its not one of those being discussed) 30 button Wheatstone which is from English speaking Toronto with a notice part in French and for sale in US dollars at 3250 (and at the pound flirting around parity that could endd up more than 100 quid per button).

http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Quality-Wheatstone...%3A1|240%3A1318

This one may also work out dearer than 100 per button if not already discussed:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wheatstone-Linota-4...%3A1|240%3A1318

All the Wheatstone dating registers may be thrown into confusion when you see the Combine Harvester button box which Charles II

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/p...=5&role=sit

not only played a but at 100 quid per button this would surely rank as one of the most expensive ever made/bought/sold... It was only when I saw the picture I realised the sound (I can be quite deaf to tones) was coming from .... an e-box, named appropriatelely after La Chanson de Roland, so he was also way ahead of his time.

Turn away if you do not want to know the score immediately...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9jfJJOdWsAQ&...feature=related

And my Dipper is not for sale at any sensible price either.

Aye Peter, I understand fully that some instruments transcend value! ;)

e.g. I have my Great-Grandfathers Fiddle ............. It's only wood & strings, you couldn't pay me anything that would make me even think of wanting to part with that!

e.g. I have my Great-Grandfathers Fiddle ............. It's only wood & strings, you couldn't pay me anything that would make me even think of wanting to part with that!

And I'll bet the strings aren't even original!

Edited by Theo

I noticed that a Dipper just sold for £6,364! & I see that the Button Box is selling a Jeffries for £8,709

Which begs the question ....

Does anyone know what has been the highest price, ever paid for a Concertina?

Cheers

Dick

Well Dick, today I was researching something else entirely on this site:-

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?...%2F19060108.xml

and came across case No 147 which reads:

"(147.) JOHN ROBERT BEVAN (47) to forging and uttering a request for the delivery of two concertinas, with intent to defraud. Eighteen months' hard labour. [Pleaded guilty: See original trial image.]—And

Reference Number: t19060108-148 "

I'm guessing that 9 months hard labour for each of two concertinas has to be a prime contender for the highest price paid!

I'm not sure if this Mr Bevan is the one usually associated with Mr Ball but it seems at least probable.

Maybe the proceedings of the Old Bailey is an untapped source of information for the researchers into concertina history.

Cheers John.

Yes, the Dipper restored Jeffries sold for US 12,000. It in fact was not tuned up from ab/eb. I think at the time it was probably the highest price

for an ebay sale. It's a wonderful instrument and my pride and joy here in Los Angeles. Some people wondered what would make a new player like

myself pay that kind of price. After a relapse - after 2 1/2 years of chemotherapy my family asked me what I wanted, and the Jeffries was it. When I was too sick to get out of bed, it sat at my side where I could touch it. It was a reminder that I still had something to strive for. A year later, I'm proud to say I'm still here, and will be playing the Jeffries onstage with Dr. Mick Maloney and my band the Sweet Set St. Patrick's week!

I'm in Los Angeles myself! Where will your band be playing? I hope you found something to strive for with a nice Jeffries too!!! :)

I'm guessing that 9 months hard labour for each of two concertinas has to be a prime contender for the highest price paid!

Cheers

John.

Well John, I guess that begs the question;

How much time would you be prepared to do, to get your hands on your ideal Concertina? ;)

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan