What is the highest price ever paid for a Concertina?

Ptarmigan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that a Dipper just sold for £6,364! & I see that the Button Box is selling a Jeffries for £8,709

Which begs the question ....

Does anyone know what has been the highest price, ever paid for a Concertina?

Cheers

Dick

I don't know the answer Dick, but prices of Aeolas are reported to be rising - due, experts say, to pressure from some guy in Ireland seemingly trying to buy them all.........

I don't know the answer Dick, but prices of Aeolas are reported to be rising - due, experts say, to pressure from some guy in Ireland seemingly trying to buy them all..................

Hey John, remember that old saying ....

Two Æolas don't make a Summer! :lol:

Edited by Ptarmigan

The most expensive concertina that comes to mind was that Dipper-restored Jeffries that was bought by an american woman in LA a few years back... What was the price again, I think around US$12 000 ?

In that case, if the Button Box sell that Jeffries for their asking price of $13,000, they'll top that Dipper-restored Jeffries!

The most expensive concertina that comes to mind was that Dipper-restored Jeffries that was bought by an american woman in LA a few years back... What was the price again, I think around US$12 000 ?

In that case, if the Button Box sell that Jeffries for their asking price of $13,000, they'll top that Dipper-restored Jeffries!

Hmmm I really doubt it's gonna sell at that price, anyway not in the next 1-2 years... especially that it's not a C/G...

i generally feel that market prices for vintage jeffries anglos have inflated beyond actual value, but in the case of that dipper-restored jeffries, i will say that it did have a brand-new bellows and reworked action......a very, very beautiful voice.....i'm shaky ground here, but i have a vague recollection that it was a former ab/eb....that is the thing about the bb concertina, it does not have a new bellows, plus someone wanting a c/g would have to pay on top of that to alter, so if it sells at this price, then we know the market has REALLLY skyrocketed.....i'm not one of the faction that finds "flattening" the ab/ebs a crime....i'm all for keeping them original and sympathise with that yearning, but i also don't think there is anything dastardly about altering them, either...

i generally feel that market prices for vintage jeffries anglos have inflated beyond actual value, but in the case of that dipper-restored jeffries, i will say that it did have a brand-new bellows and reworked action......a very, very beautiful voice.....i'm shaky ground here, but i have a vague recollection that it was a former ab/eb....that is the thing about the bb concertina, it does not have a new bellows, plus someone wanting a c/g would have to pay on top of that to alter, so if it sells at this price, then we know the market has REALLLY skyrocketed.....i'm not one of the faction that finds "flattening" the ab/ebs a crime....i'm all for keeping them original and sympathise with that yearning, but i also don't think there is anything dastardly about altering them, either...

Aye, I have asked here about the pros & cons of flattening Ab/Eb down to G/D & it seems most folks are happy enough with such a small shift. However, most seem to agree that anything more than 1/2 a note is verging on the criminal!

i.e. For anyone who shifts a Bb/F up to C/G ... they should bring back the Guillotine! 9.gif

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

If this strange beauty of a plastic edeophone continues at that rate ( from 1 to 1600 Sterling in only a few hours ) it might be a candidate...

Hmmm.. a bit OTT but strangely attractive :rolleyes:

Is 1920 a bit early for Mother of Toilet seat - I thought that would be more a 50's thing - so maybe not plastic but real MOP?

Will Ab/Eb play in "Bb" (using same fingering as C/G) ? If it's the case, well, I would *love* to have a "Bb" concertina to play at home and sometimes in some Bb sessions. I would love it, but not enough to pay that much though, I don't have the luxury.

Will Ab/Eb play in "Bb" (using same fingering as C/G) ?

Yes, it would be the perfect instrument for a Bb session. Do you have them where you live?

Hmmm not really, I can barely get to a good "D" session so a good Bb session would be unheard of in here. But whenever I get to festivals like Catskills or in Ireland there's a bunch of good Bb and C sessions and this is when you wish you had a flat concertina...

Yes, the Dipper restored Jeffries sold for US 12,000. It in fact was not tuned up from ab/eb. I think at the time it was probably the highest price

for an ebay sale. It's a wonderful instrument and my pride and joy here in Los Angeles. Some people wondered what would make a new player like

myself pay that kind of price. After a relapse - after 2 1/2 years of chemotherapy my family asked me what I wanted, and the Jeffries was it. When I was too sick to get out of bed, it sat at my side where I could touch it. It was a reminder that I still had something to strive for. A year later, I'm proud to say I'm still here, and will be playing the Jeffries onstage with Dr. Mick Maloney and my band the Sweet Set St. Patrick's week!

Having heard and played this Jeffries I concur, it is one of the nicest around. I would have not mentioned this unless La De Da had posted the information. I have also played one restored by Paul Groff a number of years ago, equally worth any amount of money. I don't really concern myself with what might be the most expensive instrument ever purchased. I guess my feeling is if you can afford a work of art, know what you are legitimately buying, and want it bad enough it is nobody else's business. I am sure most of us have an instrument ( or a few) that we are connected with in more than just it's financial cost.

quote name='la de da' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:38 PM' post='87734']

Yes, the Dipper restored Jeffries sold for US 12,000. It in fact was not tuned up from ab/eb. I think at the time it was probably the highest price

for an ebay sale. It's a wonderful instrument and my pride and joy here in Los Angeles. Some people wondered what would make a new player like

myself pay that kind of price. After a relapse - after 2 1/2 years of chemotherapy my family asked me what I wanted, and the Jeffries was it. When I was too sick to get out of bed, it sat at my side where I could touch it. It was a reminder that I still had something to strive for. A year later, I'm proud to say I'm still here, and will be playing the Jeffries onstage with Dr. Mick Maloney and my band the Sweet Set St. Patrick's week!