Skype lessons - side issue -Skype Squeezathon?

Kautilya

Just on a side issue, I recently asked a skype expert whether the conference facility could be used for a world record sound squeezathon (and the webcam facility could be useful for maybe later a little YouTube concertina promotion for the most concertinas playing on line at the same time.

The maximum Skype conference call allows 24 “callers” which of course could be 24 tina groups with ‘X’ nos. of concertinas in each group.

But to get really big the technical question to be tackled is, whether each of 23 of the caller tina groups could each have another 23 conference “callers” etc etc. The numbers get quite big.

I am initially told the second stage would probably not work at the moment, but perhaps some of our tecchies may have a solution lurking somewhere.

• 2 years later...

Skype Sessions?

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,7175.0.html

Just on a side issue, I recently asked a skype expert whether the conference facility could be used for a world record sound squeezathon (and the webcam facility could be useful for maybe later a little YouTube concertina promotion for the most concertinas playing on line at the same time.

The maximum Skype conference call allows 24 “callers” which of course could be 24 tina groups with ‘X’ nos. of concertinas in each group.

But to get really big the technical question to be tackled is, whether each of 23 of the caller tina groups could each have another 23 conference “callers” etc etc. The numbers get quite big.

I am initially told the second stage would probably not work at the moment, but perhaps some of our tecchies may have a solution lurking somewhere.

Just to get a little technical, the way Skype works is by using your own internet connection to transmit your video to each person connected to the 'conference'. It can work 'ok' with a few people, but the more people connected, the more each connection has to be 'downgraded' to accomodate the other streams. Most internet providers will limit your upload speed, which is part of the problem, because you need to upload lot of data... So basically, if you're saying Skype allows 24 people in a conference... I assume the video and sound will have a very, very low quality and will lag many seconds, unless everyone has optical fiber.

The only realy way to get your big online session (at the moment) would be going through a chat server, which handles every stream and takes care of broadcasting all signals to every connections. Adobe as such technology with a software called Flash Media Server, which requires a powerful server to handle. The way it works is chat your chat application connectes ONLY to the server, not to the people sharing the conference with you. The server then redistributes this feed to everyone else. You are not even aware of the IP address of the other connected people, you don't have a direct connection to them. The "middleman" does everything.

So I doubt you'll ever be able to get your mega session on Skype (or MSN or equivalent) soon, unless Skype allows to use a media server instead client to client like now, and then you'd need to have such server available.

So I doubt you'll ever be able to get your mega session on Skype (or MSN or equivalent) soon, unless Skype allows to use a media server instead client to client like now, and then you'd need to have such server available.

v. useful.

I find conference call via skype with two participants London/say 3 in India/and China has weakest synch connection with the London participants and crystal clear to from/ and between India/china end.

When first demoed as a commercial offering back in 1997 at ITU Telecom Interactive I remember the mfr's trick was to have the two speakers facing away from each other so they couild not 'see' the time lag on each others'mouths! They 'heard' a normal two-way conversation.

Perhaps one would have to start with a canon - Three blinde mice knowing that each starter would naturally fall into place becoz ofthe time lag.... :huh:

Let's keep pondering..... :)

And for that very reason, it won't work.

Azalin has indicated that there are technical constraints on how many "callers" (individuals or groups) can share a single conference, but if there weren't (and probably even though there are) Skype and others would have to exclude the possibility of tying in secondary "conferences".

Why?

Breeders of computer viruses!

Imagine a quiet virus going around, infecting thousands (even millions?) of inadequately protected computers with a program that just waits for its computer to be invited into a conference and then adds 23 more members to that conference. If each of those member computers is also infected by the virus, within seven iterations (including the original) the "conference" would have more than 9 billion member computers. (Actually fewer, since by then there would have been a lot of duplicate "invitations". But you get the idea.) Even the fourth iteration, with "only" 292,008 members, would need 8.5 times 10 to the 10th power connections, since each member would be connected to every other one.

That's a "cute" way to crash the entire internet... which is why it's an option that can't be allowed.

Imagine a quiet virus going around, infecting thousands (even millions?) of inadequately protected computers with a program that just waits for its computer to be invited into a conference and then adds 23 more members to that conference. If each of those member computers is also infected by the virus, within seven iterations (including the original) the "conference" would have more than 9 billion member computers. (Actually fewer, since by then there would have been a lot of duplicate "invitations". But you get the idea.) Even the fourth iteration, with "only" 292,008 members, would need 8.5 times 10 to the 10th power connections, since each member would be connected to every other one.

Congratulations, you pretty much summed up the definition of a 'worm' or 'spyware'. Most worms are distributed through an email from your friend in disguise. A worm will get your personnal address book from your computer and email a small program to all of your friends... once they install the program in the email (equivalent to 'accepting' the invitation in your example) the other computers become infected, and they go on sending emails using the address book on those computers... and so on!

What does it all do? Once a computer is infected, it can be used by hackers to access the internet with YOUR ip address, meaning your computer is used to do non-legit stuff. They can take control of your internet.

I once knew a company that had more than a million "zombies" or "slaves" ready to be used to do whatever.

Fortunately for us (and sadly for the hackers) it's pretty much impossible that the 'whole internet' becomes infected as many people are using anti viruses that will protect them against that, and newer versions of Windows have built-in protection against spywares... but still, we had well known worms before that infected millions of computers around the planet.

Hi Kautilya

If I had 24 callers on my call, of which you are one, and you had 24 callers, of which I am one, we couldn't see each others group. I don't understand how the numbers could get quit huge. For all intent and purposes, there are still 2 groups of 24, not one group of 48. If we had a few common callers, with 24 each, then we are still individual groups. I don't think there's a way to tie them together, even if/when Skype allows some higher number, they would still be limited to individual groups of ??? numbers.

Think phone party lines, only sort of vaguely similar like the way phones worked when I was a child. When it was in use, there was no way to make a call unless both party lines had room for a caller, otherwise those on the same exchange could listen in and converse but only to each other.

That's my take on it.

Thanks

Leo

If I had 24 callers on my call, of which you are one, and you had 24 callers, of which I am one, we couldn't see each others group. I don't understand how the numbers could get quit huge. For all intent and purposes, there are still 2 groups of 24, not one group of 48. If we had a few common callers, with 24 each, then we are still individual groups. I don't think there's a way to tie them together, even if/when Skype allows some higher number, they would still be limited to individual groups of ??? numbers.

That's the way it's currently implemented, and that's the way it's likely to stay. It would be possible for Skype and others to implement groups that could be expanded by "linking in" other groups, but there are strong reasons for NOT doing that. (Besides, they could get the same result by simply removing the size limit on groups. And they wouldn't have the limit if they didn't think there was a reason for it.)