H Crabb for sale ebay ending shortly

Asked if this could be listened to over phone or visited to examine and any dating or numbers etc.

seller said:

"soory but none of these are possible due to personal reasons and i do not have knowlege of this concertina"

Sale says

Postal insurance

Not offered

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170293567107

Crossposted to buy and sell

The answer is surely that you tell him that you will collect and pay cash (whether he gives that as an option or not) once you have "won" it, if you really want it. (or find an agent to do it)

The sort of money involved is worth losing feedback points over!

"Won". What a triumph of marketing that word is, used in this context...

The concertina is an odd one too. The Crabb badge looks genuine, but the design of the ends and fretwork pattern look exactly like an early Wheatstone or Lachenal. I wonder if its a Crabb rebuild of an older concertina from one of the other makers.

The concertina is an odd one too. The Crabb badge looks genuine, but the design of the ends and fretwork pattern look exactly like an early Wheatstone or Lachenal. I wonder if its a Crabb rebuild of an older concertina from one of the other makers.

Is that an air button I see set off from the others? I hadn't realised that a model like this had those. (That is a question by the way because I have not seen enough instruments to make any statements about them really).

Ian

I had some questions about this one as well. The pictures of the ends may indicate a new finish with the edges of the fret work losing their sharpness (right angles).

The bellows are six fold, a bit unusual for a concertina like this. They may be a tad robust for Wheatstone but within bounds for a Crabb rebuild.

Hereward had a good point concerning the air button.

I suppose a look at the interior and a serial # might clear up some of these mysteries.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

When I enquired about this I was told the serial number is 89411 - is this consistent with Crabb's numbering?

I agree Theo, looks like a Lachenal given the serial number - so I'm out of the bidding.

Caveat emptor.

Steve

Does this picture (if I can insert it under manage current attachments or go see http://www.priceofhistoys.com/2006/08/24/r...evw-truck-kit/) reflect the kind of thing behind your thinking Theo?:

The thumbstrap buttons also look very very like Lachenal ones (nickel perhaps?) and also the button layout on a Lach English perhaps...

BTW - it was two days or more, plus a repeat sending of first query, before I received the reply posted at start of this topic.

Does this picture (if I can insert it under manage current attachments or go see http://www.priceofhistoys.com/2006/08/24/r...evw-truck-kit/) reflect the kind of thing behind your thinking Theo?:

The thumbstrap buttons also look very very like Lachenal ones (nickel perhaps?) and also the button layout on a Lach English perhaps...

BTW - it was two days or more, plus a repeat sending of first query, before I received the reply posted at start of this topic.

ATTACHMENT OPENS TOO SMALL - sorry

and URL picked up my closing bracket -- sorry twice

should be

http://www.priceofhistoys.com/2006/08/24/r...cevw-truck-kit/

When I enquired about this I was told the serial number is 89411 - is this consistent with Crabb's numbering?

No, and not consistent with Lachenal or Wheatstone either!

Well sort of, but not exactly because if it is a rebuild it seems to have much of the external features of the original.

Another speculation is that it was a Lachenal instrument, or part instrument, that was acquired after the demise of Lachenal and completed or rebuilt by Crabb. I have a 20 key anglo like this. The action and endplates are typical Lachenal, but the reeds look typically Crabb and it has a Crabb nameplate.

I agree Theo, looks like a Lachenal given the serial number - so I'm out of the bidding.

Caveat emptor.

Steve

The fretwork pattern is consistant with Wheatstone and Lachenal of circa 1850 (my 1851 Wheatstone is the same but not as fine on the fretwork )

Serial numbers that large only tally with Lachenal Anglo's of circa 1898 as far as i can accertain.

My conclusion would be that is has been reworked by Crabb at some time , hence the name plate etc.

Mike

Edited by miikae

Just received the reply to my questions and are as follows---

the serial number i am un aware of and sorry the files on the item description are all i have

thanks.

Not a lot of good to a prospective buyer .

Mike