Good heavens...

catty

Anyone who reads anything I write is likely weary from my NON-concertina related contributions. Yet, I persist, I guess, because I generally find the discussion here satisfying. But I digress...

I actually have a gig next month to play concertina :blink: . A few colleagues and I are are throwing together a sort of fiddle extravaganza--doing sets each of Scandanavian, Celtic, Cajun and Flamenco (guitar). My fiddle bit is the cajun, so I'm playing other instrumets during the other sets. Lo, I broke out the anglo and EC (and 2-row box) for the "celtic" set at last night's rehearsal.

Does anyone have clips of some simple Scandanavian tunes where melodeon (or concertina) is employed?

I can't find any youtube clips, but do a web search for Mark Gilston. He plays Scandinavian tunes on a mountain dulcimer and his lovely Wheatstone EC (at least on his Troll Road CD he does!)

He is also here on C-net as tradman.

Anyone who reads anything I write is likely weary from my NON-concertina related contributions. Yet, I persist, I guess, because I generally find the discussion here satisfying. But I digress...

I actually have a gig next month to play concertina :blink: . A few colleagues and I are are throwing together a sort of fiddle extravaganza--doing sets each of Scandanavian, Celtic, Cajun and Flamenco (guitar). My fiddle bit is the cajun, so I'm playing other instrumets during the other sets. Lo, I broke out the anglo and EC (and 2-row box) for the "celtic" set at last night's rehearsal.

Does anyone have clips of some simple Scandanavian tunes where melodeon (or concertina) is employed?

Don't have a clip of it, but "Josephine's Waltz" sounds great on the concertina and is usually popular at sessions.

Interesting. This version:

sounds to me the same as an O'Carolan planxty (help, please--I don't recall the name) that I used to play often on guitar. Edited by catty

Interesting. This version:
sounds to me the same as an O'Carolan planxty (help, please--I don't recall the name) that I used to play often on guitar.

Couldn't get the link to work properly but sounds like Planxty Irwin to me

Try searching under ' Josefin's Dopvals ' or Josefin's Waltz (Josefin's christening waltz)

The tune was penned by a Swedish fellow called Roger Tallroth who played with the group Väsen.

A beautiful waltz. Do resist the urge to speed it up. Played slowly, it is a haunting tune, and a Concertina & Cello combination really sounds special.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

Here's a clip of Josefin's as played by Vassen themselves - it's easy to learn it from this, and it works really well on anglo - http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=38343055

Also Serpentiner och Confetti ('Streamers & confetti') - lovely tune that's also popular in English sessions, played here by Mats Eden (who wrote it) and friends: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...ideoid=38343055

Also the Schottische fran Havero, another session standard - the only clip I could find was here http://ffd.amplifier.co.nz/track/7189/scho...8273640C4C5AE14. It's a cracker on the anglo, gets people's shoulders going as well as their feet!

Pippa

hope the links come out OK - I haven't posted links before -