Challenge for English Concertina Players

LDT

I have a challenge for all those players of the English Concertina....

I'd love to hear a modern tune on it...one I would recognize? (1950's - present day).

I'd like to know if its possible. (as I'm finding the anglo a bit...limiting...and may consider getting an english over a duet in the future* unless duet players you can convince me to choose a duet over and english?)

Are there any on youtube already or are you up for the challenge of recording one?

*by future I mean in a year or two's time.

I might even make a little award. ;)

Edited by LDT

LDT, here is a modern tune, i.e. somewhat recent, but I am afraid its not a Pop tune. But its good! And, fun too.

The link is via Jody Kruskal's website, (a C'netter) and is a recording of David Cornell at the North East Squeeze-in in Massachusetts several years ago. Although someone might get technical and comment that he is not playing an English. I think its a Maccan Duet. You however, can learn it on the English. I am. :rolleyes:

Do you sing LDT?

http://jodykruskal.com/player_profiles/cor...76D.Cornell.MP3

Fjb

Hi LDT

You couldn't have forgotten about the pink elephants already could you? :unsure:

And the second is "Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini, adapted from the piano score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpVOOmmQA5Q

Don't know whether you spotted it but there was a pink elephant behind you. :P :blink:

From the 1962 movie "Hatari" on a Duet concertina

Thanks

Leo

Goodness, I play all kinds of things on my English!

The group I play with (mainly lap dulcimers, but also guitars, a mandolin, a bass player and a hammered dulcimer player, and I'm the only concertina player and I also play the washboard as needed. <G>) had tons of engagements through November and December and we played traditional carols as well as many of the holiday tunes written since the 1940s.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

White Christmas

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Jingle Bell Rock

Silver & Gold

I'm not much of a jazz fan, though I do like the early stuff. I'd love to hear some early jazz performed on an English! Why not? Music is music.

I understand there were even concertos written for the English, and I'd love to lay hands on some of them. I'm probably not nearly good enough yet to play them, but it's nice to have a goal. <G>

Chances are, you will not be satisfied with the "modern music" on EC.

Who wants to play that kind of music, usually picks instruments it was created for and with. Especially when these instruments are mainstream and widely available inexpensively.

If you want to play quick passage from "Led Zeppelin", why of all things you'll pick English Concertina? It's slower than electric guitar, it lacks it's power, it doesn't give "Wall of sound", it doesn't bend pitch. It has been elitist instrument, not designed to play folk or popular music of the masses.

And that aside from the whole topic of why pop music from 1950s to this day is "modern". Is hip-hop modern? It's a rip off from African traditional dances. Is abstract painting modern? Not, if you are familiar with ceramic designes of South American Indians. Etc.

Edited by m3838

You can play any melody you choose and there are millions to choose from, the EC is chromatic so the notes are all there. Essentially (and I think the point Misha makes) is that it won't sound much like the tune you are looking for - it will sound like a concertina playing it. I've been playing old Beatles stuff on my EC, some of them sound good. The distinctive voice of the concertina is its strength and weakness, it matches well and sounds good playing traditional music. Moved away from the genre it can work but it will always sound like a concertina.

Edited by Simon H

I have recorded YESTERDAY, AND ALL MY LOVING, it should be on my new cd.

Do you have a link to the appropriate CD? :)

LDT, here is a modern tune, i.e. somewhat recent, but I am afraid its not a Pop tune. But its good! And, fun too.

I like pop up until the end of the 90's then I go a bit 'indie' in my tastes.

I like The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan (in my mind he's pop no folk), T-rex, The Who, AFI, Bonzo Dog Do-Dah Band, Evenesence, Maximo Park, Kings of Leon, Rise Against, Nirvana, razorlight, The Zutons, and recently I'm liking the Rock 'n' Roll (Chuck Berry etc.).

Do you sing LDT?

No....can't sing a note. I howl and wail but don't sing. (The only song I can get a half decent score on on singstar is Nirvna's 'come as you are')

Chances are, you will not be satisfied with the "modern music" on EC.

Who wants to play that kind of music, usually picks instruments it was created for and with. Especially when these instruments are mainstream and widely available inexpensively.

I've tried guitar and couldn't stick to it. The strings hurt my fingers, I can't reach to hold down strings and my nails keep breaking.

If you want to play quick passage from "Led Zeppelin", why of all things you'll pick English Concertina?

Not a Led Zep fan myself....

It has been elitist instrument, not designed to play folk or popular music of the masses.

We'd never go anywhere if no one experimented.

Edited by LDT

You can play any melody you choose and there are millions to choose from, the EC is chromatic so the notes are all there. Essentially (and I think the point Misha makes) is that it won't sound much like the tune you are looking for - it will sound like a concertina playing it. I've been playing old Beatles stuff on my EC, some of them sound good. The distinctive voice of the concertina is its strength and weakness, it matches well and sounds good playing traditional music. Moved away from the genre it can work but it will always sound like a concertina.

I don't mind that I just find I don't know a lot of Trad stuff....so find it hard to play tunes I don't know. I'd prefer to play stuff I am familiar with....and yes Beatles songs would be one of them.

We'd never go anywhere if no one experimented.

Experimented again and again. It's been around for 150 years already. It's almost as old as saxophone, older than chromatic accordion. But it didn't catch up. Better people than us tried and tried hard, all their lives - at no avail. May have something to do with construction, voicing, range, expressiveness... whatever. Just like a Ukulele is not a small guitar and doesn't sound particularly great when played classical or jazz on it. It can, but guitar sounds better. But you try rhythmic merry music and Uke is hard to beat. Irish on Anglo is impressive, almost as impressive, in my view, as Irish on one row button accordion, but not quite. Classical on English has potential, as Danny showed, but few are capable, as many of us showed. Looks like so far Irish has the most successful implementation of Concertina uniqueness. And, by the way, playing traditional music takes lots of experimentation (obviously).

"Is hip-hop modern? It's a rip off from African traditional dances."

not true.

It may be very true actually. There are many videos circulating, where Hip-Hop masters clearly show where they get the moves, similarities between specific Hip-Hop moves and traditional dances of Africa. Sure, there are motives from Irish tap and even some similarities between it and Russian/Ukrainian folk dance moves, which are very athletic, employ lots of jumps, splits, visual illusions etc. There is nothing new, it is said for a good reason. Hip-Hop is part of Afro Renaissance and it's origins are where they should be. Definitely far from been unheard and unseen. My former company hired two african dancers for us to see the moves, and one of them, from Ghana, was very critical of the Hip-Hop's novelty. She said, in their village they danced like this since she remembers herself, and went on to actually explain some moves' meanings and applications, whereas Hip-Hop tends to utilize the moves for their appearance.