Crane & Mccann

On another topic, Stephen Chambers said:

I think you will find that Tommy's music works much better on the Maccann, though I never heard him play any hymn tunes. 

It has been nearly 30 years and it wasn't for more that 10 minutes that I held a Maccann. I do play a Crane with good regularity. I realize that the two keyboards are different but when I try to imagine a musical difference between the two I draw a blank. Different key signatures? Arpeggios versus chords? Staccato? Legato? If two players had the keyboards down and both instruments had the same left and right hand ranges, beyond personality, how could one hear the difference? What about the two keyboards would steer a player to what sort of music?

Neville Crabb told me that they were equal and it was just what you started on. My own opinion was that I (no one but me, so this is personal) was more comfortable with fingers reaching up and down (out and in?) on the keyboard rather than moving from side to side. So I liked the taller and narrower (five versus six rows) keyboard. A second benefit for me (again, this is personal) was separation of chromatic naturals and accidentals. But it never occurred to me that one system would be more suited to a certain kind of music. Was I wrong?

Firstly, I think I should point out that my post was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek reply to a friend, Shay Fogarty, here in Dublin (Stephen, he plays anglo if you want to "put him on the map").

I will leave it for others to discuss the relative merits of the two systems, but will just go on to explain that Tommy's big influence was the playing of Alexander Prince, who many would regard as the greatest concertina player to ever record (and certainly the most prolific).

The Maccann system has certainly attracted virtuosi, who have left us a legacy of their recordings, starting with "Professor" Maccann himself, and going on to include Percy Honri and Ernest Rutterford (my personal favourite) as well as Prince.

I have never heard of a "virtuoso" of the Crane system, nor of anybody who could perform Prince's music on it. (But would be delighted to hear somebody do it !)

I'm putting my tin hat on, & running for cover, now, don't all shoot at once ! :unsure:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

No need to run for cover on my account. I'm also not in the least interested in working on virtuoso status. I would however, be curious to see sheet music and hear the playing of a duet virtuoso. Could you point me in the right direction?

I would ... be curious to ... hear the playing of a duet virtuoso.  Could you point me in the right direction?

I would put David Cornell in that class (on the Maccann), but I don't know that he's made any recordings.

I would ... be curious to see sheet music and hear the playing of a duet virtuoso.  Could you point me in the right direction?

You can see tutors and music on the www.maccann-duet.com website, music arranged for Maccann duet is also availble from the ICA Library on their website, but recordings seem to be a problem at present. There used to be cassettes available, made from 78rpm recordings of Alexander Prince, but I don't think you can get them now. I have a lot of the original 78's, maybe, one of these days, I will put some of them onto CD ?

Thanks Jim. I am aware of Cornell's playing. Several people have encouraged him to record, but better yet would be hearing him in person -- something I hope to do one day.

Stephen, it would be wonderful if you could find a way to share those recordings and I don't think that I'm the only person that would be interested.

The sites mentioned are really great resources. It is a great experience to print and play the materials available on the Maccann-duet site. When within range, (the problem is always on the left side of my instrument) everything is well within the ability of a Crane. There is no accounting for taste, but save Cornell's arrangements, very little of the old stuff seems that compelling. (Isn't the casual playing of familiar and entertaining songs and tunes the most compelling of all?) The old stuff IS interesting though.

I'll really haven't made that much use of the ICA site, but will try to do better. I have had a membership check in an addressed envelope for several months now and have yet to mail it because I can't figure out how much postage it needs. ;) Pay Pal?

Again, thanks.

Edited by Kurt Braun

I'll really haven't made that much use of the ICA site, but will try to do better.  I have had a membership check in an addressed envelope for several months now and have yet to mail it because I can't figure out how much postage it needs.

Your local PO should be able to tell you that. :)

Pay Pal?

So far, the ICA doesn't accept payment by either credit card or PayPal. (Note that such services require the recipient of the payment to pay a fee.)