Classic question - Old vs New

I am watching this space quite carefully because I am already considering moving up to a better instrument and the more informed I am about this the better. Without doubt this forum has been of inestimable help with this and many another thing.

Ian

I couldn't agree more, Ian! I doubt you can find as much gathered concertina knowledge and experience elsewhere in the world. And, most importantly, people are very generous with sharing this.

Again - thank you all for the inputs on this matter! I'm waiting for a monetary bonus to pop up on my bank account, and then it will not be there for long.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt you can find as much gathered concertina knowledge and experience elsewhere in the world.

The reason is, of course, that, being in hyperspace, this is everywhere in the world really. However, as I've said before, the creators of this forum and those who know (sadly not me yet) are the ones to really thank.

Ian

I doubt you can find as much gathered concertina knowledge and experience elsewhere in the world.

The reason is, of course, that, being in hyperspace, this is everywhere in the world really.

That's how the internet works? Dahmet, I thought y'all was inside this little box with letters written on it!

Really though, I'm very thankful for the advice of even those who don't "know". It's interesting for me to listen to novices who are, or just recently were, in my seat, as well as those who've played for a lifetime and have tried all sorts of instruments out there.

I haven't been on this forum for a very long time :unsure:

I do have some input on this topic though.

I started on a Morse anglo and then a Crabb and then......my husband got the bug and pinched them :(

He then allowed me to play his Jeffries.....lovely, and then his Dipper.....lovely, and now he has made one,

born on the 1st Jan '09.

Without doubt the easiest to play is the Morse, the best sound, toss a coin between the Dipper and Jeffries.

His new baby however is easy to play too action wise, and bellows......but then again I helped him with them, so they would be :lol:

If I had to go shopping again, playability would come first (especially if you need to play with people).

Then sound would come a high second if I played on my own, otherwise sound is mixed with other instruments and not so important.

Upgrading instruments is a hugely successful trade and immense fun.....it never stops :P

Sharron

I started on a Morse anglo and then a Crabb and then......my husband got the bug and pinched them :(

He then allowed me to play his Jeffries.....lovely, and then his Dipper.....lovely, and now he has made one,

born on the 1st Jan '09.

Without doubt the easiest to play is the Morse, the best sound, toss a coin between the Dipper and Jeffries.

His new baby however is easy to play too action wise, and bellows......but then again I helped him with them, so they would be :lol:

If I had to go shopping again, playability would come first (especially if you need to play with people).

Then sound would come a high second if I played on my own, otherwise sound is mixed with other instruments and not so important.

Upgrading instruments is a hugely successful trade and immense fun.....it never stops :P

Sharron

Looks like you should post more often Sharron because you have crammed a lot of useful gen into this posting and given me much to think about (and I shall watch out that my wife doesn't start eyeing my concertina).

Ian

born on the 1st Jan '09.

Sharron

Looks like you should post more often Sharron because you have crammed a lot of useful gen into this posting and given me much to think about (and I shall watch out that my wife doesn't start eyeing my concertina).

Ian

That is why the old twenty button is hidden here at my place "But you have two working concertinas."

Alan

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I handed my concertina over to my other half willingly but sadly, as I already played the fiddle and he had developed a shoulder problem playing his beloved b/c boxes. Seemed only right and fair.

Then I embarked on making violins, and am on to my fifth now, plus he is a toolmaker by trade, decided to join me in the workshop and make a concertina. Well the concertina has been designed/built/rebuilt several times now....as well as making a couple of boxes.

If I can prise it away from his *grubby little hands* I might get to take some pictures :lol:

He has one order and it has been booked and paid for.

MINE!

It is PAYBACK time for pinching mine in the first place :lol:

Sharron

Edited by Sharron

Very neat looking - must have been a good few hours/ days/ weeks/ months in that! Did you buy many parts, pre made?

Springs, pads and bellows papers.

Everything else made from scratch and think of many months in development and resurrection (cat with nine lives).

Sharron

Very neat looking - must have been a good few hours/ days/ weeks/ months in that! Did you buy many parts, pre made?

Springs, pads and bellows papers.

Everything else made from scratch and think of many months in development and resurrection (cat with nine lives).

Sharron

Unforunately, although I apprenticed as an engineer in my youth, that was an electronics engineer, and I have two left hands when it comes to anything mechanical. Thus I never could dream of producing such a lovely looking (and no doubt performing) instrument as this example.

Ian

Unforunately, although I apprenticed as an engineer in my youth, that was an electronics engineer, and I have two left hands when it comes to anything mechanical. Thus I never could dream of producing such a lovely looking (and no doubt performing) instrument as this example.

Ian

I'm graduating as a mechanical engineer in a month or so, but I wouldn't know how to construct a concertina anyway. I could probably make a pretty neat CAD-drawing, but I've spent too little time in the workshop to actually be able to build it. Hmmm, I should out-source the actual manufacturing!

From one thing to another - does anyone know which of these "hybrid" makers (if any) are based in Europe? If I end up buying a brand new one, I might as well try to order one as close to Sweden as possible. I'll regard it as my contribution to the environment...

does anyone know which of these "hybrid" makers (if any) are based in Europe? If I end up buying a brand new one, I might as well try to order one as close to Sweden as possible. I'll regard it as my contribution to the environment...

A C Norman, England

Marcus Music, Wales

Harry Geuns, Belgium

Great, thanks alot!

I came across a maker in Germany too, but they were out of my price range. Wonder who that might have been... Not that it'll affect me anyway. Thanks for the links!

I came across a maker in Germany too, but they were out of my price range. Wonder who that might have been... Not that it'll affect me anyway.

That was probably Jurgen Suttner, but he makes traditional concertinas not hybrids and has a fine reputation for same.

Pete.

Ahh, of course! Yes it was, thanks for easing my mind.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to order a new one now. (Suttner or whatever)You won't need to pay for the whole thing right away, and by the time you get it, say 4 years from now, you'll have saved the money. (mechanical engineers are in demand, you know, even in hard times such as these) Besides, if you don't want it, chances are you'll find somebody eager to snatch it from you! The concertinas being built today are outstanding (Suttner, Thomas, Carroll, Ghent et al. for the higher end stuff...). For what it's worth.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to order a new one now. (Suttner or whatever)You won't need to pay for the whole thing right away, and by the time you get it, say 4 years from now, you'll have saved the money. (mechanical engineers are in demand, you know, even in hard times such as these) Besides, if you don't want it, chances are you'll find somebody eager to snatch it from you! The concertinas being built today are outstanding (Suttner, Thomas, Carroll, Ghent et al. for the higher end stuff...). For what it's worth.

That's a good point, haven't really thought about that. I'll wait until I've purchased my upgrade to the Rochelle first though, or I might get too tempted to burn all money I have saved up on something that is better than I can take use from.