baritone Anglo?

I've been listening to Steve Turner's latest CD and he plays a bass baritone EC which he prefers to sing to than treble . How common are such lower tunings say in C/G but as Anglos? Or is it a matter of going down to the dusty end on the Left hand side?

I find singing to my G/D Anglo more pleasing than a treble C/G

How low can you go before you lose a clean tone? I assume salvation Army anglos were used to accompany hymns - what are their common keys?

On melodeon I prefer to sing to a B flat/E flat Hohner, maybe that's the amswer?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a baritone C/G anglo. It dates from the time when Harry Geuns and Wim Wakker were building them in collaboration, with accordion reeds. It is a nice instrument. It really demands a different playing style (to my ear) than just doing your C/G arrangements an octave down. I haven't worked up a lot of those so far.

IIRC you can get baritone anglos from Tedrow and Morse by special order, and maybe other makers too.

Ken

I have a Lachenal baritone in F/C. Actually, I've been told off on here for calling it that, because it's not strictly a baritone as there is no corresponding treble version an octave higher. But it's of baritone size and construction, with some huge reeds, and sounds quite different from my G/D treble although it's only a tone lower in pitch.

As Chris says, they're great for song accompaniment. It does demand a slightly different playing style, I find I have to play a bit more "oom-pah" than I normally do, to get those big low reeds kick-started.

As Chris says, they're great for song accompaniment. It does demand a slightly different playing style, I find I have to play a bit more "oom-pah" than I normally do, to get those big low reeds kick-started.

Hmmmm does an EC Baritone require a similar approach, I wonder?

Cheers

Dick

Cheers

Dick

My German silver reeded baritone EC (a very early one) is only a tiny bit slower to respond than its treble brass reeded cousin from the same era. I haven't felt any need to change my technique when playing it. I don't do much oompah playing. My baritone is in Youngs #2 temperament. It is a lovely mellow instrument.

Cheers

Dick

My German silver reeded baritone EC (a very early one) is only a tiny bit slower to respond than its treble brass reeded cousin from the same era. I haven't felt any need to change my technique when playing it. I don't do much oompah playing. My baritone is in Youngs #2 temperament. It is a lovely mellow instrument.

Och Larry it sounds great, any chance we might hear it on MP3 or YouTube?

A photo would be nice, too. ;)

Cheers

Dick

I have been playing tunes quite a bit on the LHSide getting down to the dusty buttons of low CGAB. I'm wondering whether to replace some duplicates with a D,E, F and Fsharp. What do people think? Is it worth it?

It feels like using the Anglo like a duet

I've got a Lachenal Maccann duet but someone said the Jeffries duet system is more suited for Anglo players, any comments?

IIRC you can get baritone anglos from Tedrow and Morse by special order, and maybe other makers too.

Also Frank Edgley would make. http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5955

My friend in Japan placed an order last year and will have one soon.

--

Taka

Yes, thank you, I had forgotten about that thread. Add Frank to the list!

Ken

Ian Munro (Kilmarnock) had a lovely Lachenal baritone for sale not so long ago (I'd have nabbed it myself if cashflow had allowed). Peter Trimming might know more.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes; I know a bit more (like you have first refusal!).

I don't know whether Ian is offering this instrument for sale, but it's certainly not being played very much (Ian has been in poor health for a while, but manages to send me some jokes, most weeks).

I got to play this instrument in March 2007; the first time I had seen it since moving from 30 to 32 keys (work carried out by Colin Dipper). It's a Baritone, tuned C/G, so an octave below the normal C/G tuning.

Years ago, when Ian first had this instrument, I took great delight in playing it, while Ian played his normal C/G Anglo. We never practised anything, since we only got together at WCCP events, plus a couple of other occasions.

Is it for sale? Well I don't really know. Ian is on this Forum (squeezeesy), so can be messaged by anyone with a serious interest. Alternatively, contact myself and I can mail him.

Remember, it's a Baritone not a Ferrari, but it plays well and has a lovely, mellow, tone. If I could have justified the purchase by sufficient use, it would not have left my house!

Regards,

Peter.

I have a Lachenal baritone in F/C. Actually, I've been told off on here for calling it that, because it's not strictly a baritone as there is no corresponding treble version an octave higher. But it's of baritone size and construction, with some huge reeds, and sounds quite different from my G/D treble although it's only a tone lower in pitch.

I too have an F/C "baritone", but made by Wheatstone. It was previously owned by Steve Harrison. This also has some large reeds which sound very different from a Wheatstone G/D - much more mellow and rounded which give the impression of more than just the one tone difference in pitch.

Chas