Lark Rise to Candleford

LDT

In sundays episode of Lark Rise to Candleford in the scene in the hotel at the party I'm sure I spotted a concertina in the background.

You did see one Lady DT ,it looked like at twenty button wooden ended Lachenal being frantically played by using the air button only, to a back ground music of a Palm Court Orchestra. They then danced "Drop the Handkerchief to a dance band that did not feature a concertina.

OH Dear :(

Al

In sundays episode of Lark Rise to Candleford in the scene in the hotel at the party I'm sure I spotted a concertina in the background.

You did see one Lady DT ,it looked like at twenty button wooden ended Lachenal being frantically played by using the air button only, to a back ground music of a Palm Court Orchestra. They then danced "Drop the Handkerchief to a dance band that did not feature a concertina.

Al

But what about my Busker in " A Touch Of Frost" ? Who is that?

Chas

Al

I found it very funny to watch it being "played" that fast when clearly it wasn't actually being played :lol:

Al

I'd guess it was a Lachenal (or similar) being played without reedpans. I couldn't get the bellows to move that fast with just air valve, unless the bellows were "shot".

Same band for the dance, and the Anglo "player" was still lurking there.

Regards,

Peter.

I'd guess it was a Lachenal (or similar) being played without reedpans. I couldn't get the bellows to move that fast with just air valve, unless the bellows were "shot".

Regards,

Peter.

I don't have a telly so cannot confirm this refers to the scene you're talking about, but..........

I was talking to Alan Dyer at a WCCP meeting yesterday. He was telling me of his day's 'shoot' on 'Lark Rise'. If it's the same scene then I can confirm that the bellows were 'shot', there were two of the twenty keys missing and one key was jammed. There was no bellows resistance at all, and as Alan said, 'You try miming bellows action without anything to push or pull against''. Oh, and Alan actually plays English system - and extremely well at that - but had to make do with what the props department gave him on the day. Such is the veracity of these dramatisations.

Al

Guys, watch out for an advert that's doing the rounds about now, plugging Ireland as a holiday destination!

We don't see it here, but you just might.

Our wee ballad group are the ones playing the music for it, although they have probably dubbed some other music over ours.

Anyway, the point is, they had a few actors sitting amongst us & one of those appeared with one of those cheap, enormous, brightly coloured Chinese or Italian Concertinas, but it took him THREE attempts before I finally got him to hold it correctly .... after upside down & back to front! :rolleyes: :lol:

Of course, when we started playing, all he did was use the air button & wiggle his fingers.

I'm sure it looked awful but hopefully the camera didn't show his playing!

Cheers

Dick

Regards,

Peter.

I don't have a telly so cannot confirm this refers to the scene you're talking about, but..........

I was talking to Alan Dyer at a WCCP meeting yesterday. He was telling me of his day's 'shoot' on 'Lark Rise'. If it's the same scene then I can confirm that the bellows were 'shot', there were two of the twenty keys missing and one key was jammed. There was no bellows resistance at all, and as Alan said, 'You try miming bellows action without anything to push or pull against''. Oh, and Alan actually plays English system - and extremely well at that - but had to make do with what the props department gave him on the day. Such is the veracity of these dramatisations.

Hi John,

I'm also a member of the "I don't have a telly" club!

So that was Alan, playing? Amazing; I haven't seen him for many years. The last time I remember seeing him was in about 1987 at the session in Eynsham, near Oxford. We had a concertina "invasion", with Dave Townsend, Andy Turner, Pippa Sandford, Alan Dyer, and myself all turning up.

Must have seen Alan since then, surely.......

Oh; and the pub Landlord had gone to the same school as me, in Croydon!

Regards,

Peter.

Guys, watch out for an advert that's doing the rounds about now, plugging Ireland as a holiday destination!

We don't see it here, but you just might.

Would it be on the 'Visit Ireland' website?

Anyway, the point is, they had a few actors sitting amongst us & one of those appeared with one of those cheap, enormous, brightly coloured Chinese or Italian Concertinas, but it took him THREE attempts before I finally got him to hold it correctly .... after upside down & back to front! :rolleyes: :lol:

lol! Maybe it needed a sign saying 'this way up'

Regards,

Peter.

So that was Alan, playing? Amazing; I haven't seen him for many years. The last time I remember seeing him was in about 1987 at the session in Eynsham, near Oxford. We had a concertina "invasion", with Dave Townsend, Andy Turner, Pippa Sandford, Alan Dyer, and myself all turning up.

Must have seen Alan since then, surely.......

Oh; and the pub Landlord had gone to the same school as me, in Croydon!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Oops! Having watched the episode through the link provided by LDT I can confirm that is NOT Alan; he may have aged since you saw him, but not by that much!!. He said he thought 'his' episode would be in a few weeks time, so there'll no doubt be more comments when it's broadcast.

Looks like it was the same box Alan had to contend with though!

John

• 1 month later...