An outstanding young player

Being some 30 years behind I wonder if I'm not wasting my time! That stuff was just too good. But then there was that other video of the little girl who casually bashed out a fine tune after playing with the stuffed toys. How do they do it? Still, it's great to be inspired by 10 year olds!

Being some 30 years behind I wonder if I'm not wasting my time! That stuff was just too good. But then there was that other video of the little girl who casually bashed out a fine tune after playing with the stuffed toys. How do they do it? Still, it's great to be inspired by 10 year olds!

Like many another older type I occasionally despair at the youngsters. This makes me realise that they aren't all bad.

Ian

FINALLY, they've posted some of the concertina contestants! all we seem to get is fiddle and ceili band, not that that's not nifty, but i've been pining for the free-reed entrants....thanks, Comhaltas Live Gang!

the clips of gearoid keane on concertina with his brother sean on fiddle are super also, and i love the fitzgerald clips....love the concertina styles on all these posts---very modern in the sense of across-the-rows and light rolls or slaps, but the melody is not drowned out by heavy, loud bass stuff or loud, constant cuts....just lovely stuff, and virtuoso playing too....

Edited by ceemonster

Talking about styles and possible influences, a bit of info that people may or may not be interested in is that Gearóid Keane as mentioned by ceemonster http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltas..._cormac_murphy/ is a nephew of Noel Hill. His sister is also a good concertina player and his mother,Nuala, seen towards the end of this clip

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltas...zgerald_family/

is Noel's sister and was among the medal winners at the All Ireland concertina before Noel. As they say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree !!

Check out this video of Ciarán Fitzgerald, All-Ireland Under-12 champion concertina player. (He also plays flute.)

His poise and command of ornamentation are amazing. I especially enjoyed the smile on his face after he switches tunes.

Well, if you think he's good, and he is, what about his sister, the youngest member of the Fitzgerald family at ten years old, Áine. She plays two reels on concertina: “The Chicago Reel” and “The Providence Reel” with piano accompaniment by her father John. Áine, who took third place on under-12 whistle at the 2008 Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann is also an accomplished sean-nós singer. Amazing playing for someone so young. And her concertina is a full-size one too!

Chris

His sister is great, but he has a more mature way of playing. I heard several CD's of adult players that do not attain his technical skills. And he's quite musical as well (certainly for his age). Apparently he plays the flute and the fiddle as well (See family clip) and he composed the first jig played on the family clip! What can one say......

Surely these youngsters don't know about Gladwell's 10,000 'Rule'. Catch 'em young and give them a love of the music plus good teaching seems to be the thing. Also a lively social scene with people their own age helps. The Comhaltas structure must be a big positive

I was in Ennis a few years back and a fiddler friend and I went to the local CCE evening. There were lots of kids and we sat in a circle and everyone played a tune at their own speed and the others joined in as well as they could and took it at that pace. Mutual respect and good fun. The youngest were about 5 and the older ones encouraged them

His sister is great, but he has a more mature way of playing. I heard several CD's of adult players that do not attain his technical skills. And he's quite musical as well (certainly for his age). Apparently he plays the flute and the fiddle as well (See family clip) and he composed the first jig played on the family clip! What can one say......

What can one say? Give her another two years!

Chris