Why do people bother?

Well, um, I thought it would be impolite to lurk without joining.

But how would we know? Being secretly impolite... like "going commando" at the Queen's garden party...

I once sang the Pogues' "Birmingham Six" in Kensington Gardens. I believe I was commando (albeit in jeans), and I was rather drunk.

Hi, I'm ikemopes, or ike. I just got a Hohner D for Christmas and was looking for the usual beginner info. I signed on because the "Why do People Bother?" tag made me sad.

I've played guitar nigh on 35 years. Cripes, I'm old. Been picking up other instruments along the way. The concertina is the latest. None of them are in the cupboard - I've recorded or performed with every instrument my wife has indulged me to own.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I’ve registered because I like to read the forums and had dreams that I could possibly find a nice instrument in the buy & sell I could actually afford…

I don’t normally post because although the regular posters try to be helpful, responses can be a little rough, conflicting, and/or confusing. It’s a little intimidating. That, and I’m embarrassed that I play the equivalents of a Ford Pinto.

So that’s my two cents. Hello again. Signing off…

Hi,

I joined the forum before I had a concertina because I knew nothing about them. I now have a Rochelle and I read the forum daily. I have learned a lot by reading the posts. I don't post often because I have nothing intelligent to add.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello.

I’ve registered because I like to read the forums and had dreams that I could possibly find a nice instrument in the buy & sell I could actually afford…

I don’t normally post because although the regular posters try to be helpful, responses can be a little rough, conflicting, and/or confusing. It’s a little intimidating. That, and I’m embarrassed that I play the equivalents of a Ford Pinto.

So that’s my two cents. Hello again. Signing off…

Hey jaycott, that's the first time I've ever heard of a Ford Pinto

I must say though, it looks like our good old Ford Capri, which were very popular cars, way back when ...... & I bet are still highly prized by collectors!

Just remember:

"It ain't what you got, it's how you use it, that counts!" ;) :lol:

Cheers

Dick

Hi,

I joined the forum before I had a concertina because I knew nothing about them. I now have a Rochelle and I read the forum daily. I have learned a lot by reading the posts. I don't post often because I have nothing intelligent to add.

Thanks,

Mike

Good to hear from you too Michael.

A Bodhran making friend of mine from Ballycastle, here in Co Antrim, is actually heading your way, to Alaska for the first time this year, to do a spot of fishing.

So if you see a Fisherman using a Bodhran as a keepnet, you'll know that's him! :lol:

Are there many Concertina players way up North in Alaska? ... & are there many opportunities for sessions up there?

Cheers

Dick

OK then, I'll crawl out from the undergrowth and say 'Hello'.

I think they're people who're thinking of getting a concertina. Then they read the "which one should I get" threads ....(snip)

This is spot on. In my case the 'research' period has been extended (and interrupted by frequent cries of 'How (expletive deleted) much??' ), and the 'buying' bit deferred (possibly indefinitely) by a ruptured thumb tendon that requires surgery. I guess that any discussion of the prognosis for recovery from that belongs elsewhere - possibly the Ergonomics board? I don't want to be pushed, pulled and squeezed by the mods for posting on the wrong board in my first post! I did try to post there once but it disappeared into the ether, never to be seen again as far as I can tell.

Back on topic, a registered lurker can distinguish between read and unread posts, which is very helpful and which an unregistered lurker cannot do.

Hi, your nickname here is interesting. Can we assume that you are coming to the Concertina from the Blues?

It's always fascinating to me to hear how folks reach Trad Music.

There is certainly not just one route to ye olde Diddly Dee!

I, like I suspect a lot of folks came to trad through the Beatles > Rock/Blues > Singer Songwriters > The Dubliners/The Corries > then Trad!

I'm sure our musical journeys greatly influence how we interpret the tunes we play, making our versions just that little bit different from the next guys.

Cheers

Dick

Well, um, I thought it would be impolite to lurk without joining. I'm a beginner player. Don't know what to ask yet and certainly don't have anything to contribute, but I might someday.

Hey Lynne,

Beginners are probably the most important folks on this forum.

Believe me, without them, we're just a bunch of old farts, patting each other on the back! :lol:

The fact is, experienced players really need learners to encourage, that way we can give back just a little of all that joy we experienced on our own musical journeys!

Glad you joined us!

Cheers

Dick

Well, um, I thought it would be impolite to lurk without joining.

But how would we know? Being secretly impolite... like "going commando" at the Queen's garden party...

I once sang the Pogues' "Birmingham Six" in Kensington Gardens. I believe I was commando (albeit in jeans), and I was rather drunk.

Hi, I'm ikemopes, or ike. I just got a Hohner D for Christmas and was looking for the usual beginner info. I signed on because the "Why do People Bother?" tag made me sad.

I've played guitar nigh on 35 years. Cripes, I'm old. Been picking up other instruments along the way. The concertina is the latest. None of them are in the cupboard - I've recorded or performed with every instrument my wife has indulged me to own.

Nice of you to join us Ikemopes. I hope the rest of the forum has cheered you up then! ;)

I think you'll find that a lot of members here have played their way through loads of instruments & are, like me, nearer the end than the beginning of their musical journeys! 2.gif

I'm pleased to hear that all your instruments are being played, though.

There's surely nothing more depressing than seeing or hearing about musical instruments that are locked away in glass cases or cupboards or bank vaults ..... & never played. Even a songbird, locked up in a tiny cage can at least sing! 6.gif

OK I'll get off my soapbox now! :rolleyes:

Hope you have years of fun with your Christmas Concertina.

Cheers

Dick

Thanks for the reply, Ptarmigan!

The Ford Capri does look like a nice car, however, after checking online I see it lacks the Pintos tendency to jam the doors and rupture the gas tank in the event of a rear collision (not to say my concertina is at risk of exploding… as far as I know).

Just remember:

"It ain't what you got, it's how you use it, that counts!" ;) :lol:

I'm using it the best I can! :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Can we assume that you are coming to the Concertina from the Blues?

I, like I suspect a lot of folks came to trad through the Beatles > Rock/Blues > Singer Songwriters > The Dubliners/The Corries > then Trad!

I'm sure our musical journeys greatly influence how we interpret the tunes we play, making our versions just that little bit different from the next guys.

Cheers

Dick

Sorry, Dick but you really shouldn't assume that a wish to play concertina means 'folkie'. Maybe blues is still his preferred style. Remember this is a concertina forum, not a trad music forum. If it was, I, for one, wouldn't be here.

That was a valiant job greeting everyone though. Hallo and welcome from me too, folks. Great instrument with enormous (often untapped) potential, the concertina, you won't regret it. I wish I'd discovered them a lot earlier in life.

As for not having anything to contribute, well, worrying about that doesn't stop any of the regulars...

Sorry, Dick but you really shouldn't assume that a wish to play concertina means 'folkie'. Maybe blues is still his preferred style. Remember this is a concertina forum, not a trad music forum. If it was, I, for one, wouldn't be here.

Quite right, I stand corrected. 3.gif

I was only speaking from my own viewpoint & of course you are quite correct, our new member is quite entitled to play Blues, or whatever kind of music they like on their Concertina.

Cheers

Dick

I must say though, it looks like our good old Ford Capri, which were very popular cars, way back when ...... & I bet are still highly prized by collectors!

My brother's got a ford capri, are you on the capri forum? Coz He's on there...all the time.... :( :huh:

As for not having anything to contribute, well, worrying about that doesn't stop any of the regulars...

Oh, I don't know....the "old farts" comment was pretty much on target...........

Oy! I'm not a old fart!

I'm a young burp :P

and I like posting trivia. lol!

Welcome newbies and lurkers. :) Lotsa hugs from the annoying one i.e. me. ;)

Can we assume that you are coming to the Concertina from the Blues?

Cheers

Dick

I agree, Dirge.

The Anglo that I've been playing for so long is a versatile instrument, and it would be a pity to regard it only as an "ITM" instrument, which I think is what Dick means by "trad", or as a Morris instrument. My new duet is, of course, above all suspicion in this respect!

I'm also uneasy about the "journey" to trad (or wherever it is you consider to be your destination). Journeying entails leaving something behind and moving on to something else. My personal musical development has been more a matter of picking things up here and there and putting them in my rucksack. These "things" may be instruments, techniques, repertoire, styles or theoretical knowledge. I seldom "leave anything behind" ;)

Cheers,

John

I agree, Dirge.

The Anglo that I've been playing for so long is a versatile instrument, and it would be a pity to regard it only as an "ITM" instrument, which I think is what Dick means by "trad", or as a Morris instrument. My new duet is, of course, above all suspicion in this respect!

I'm also uneasy about the "journey" to trad (or wherever it is you consider to be your destination). Journeying entails leaving something behind and moving on to something else. My personal musical development has been more a matter of picking things up here and there and putting them in my rucksack. These "things" may be instruments, techniques, repertoire, styles or theoretical knowledge. I seldom "leave anything behind" ;)

I pick from a musical buffet...

Back to the question of why do people join and then not post ... I joined quite a while back to be able to use the Tune-o-Tron and the music database. I hope I give back to others by having similar-ish resources available on our own website. I browse the forum occasionally and use some of the other pages (and bought a Concertina recently, which the girlfriend hates, to add to bagpipes and a fiddle). For a long time, though I found it very difficult to access the Forum. I would sign in to get to my tune book etc, but then have to sign in again for the Forum, except this generally would not work. I don't know what I'm doing differently now.

[edit] Looking at the lhs panel I only joined in October - but I joined eighteen months or more ago when I began using the tune-o-tron etc and saved a tune book. I suspect that having two lot of membership sign-up will confuse some of us simpler folk, who may not return. I really couldn't understand why I couldn't post when I was already logged in, or so I thought.

Besides, plenty of sites have occasional lurkers who prefer not to post - it's part of web culture (albeit one I don't quite understand).

Edited by Greg in London

Looking at the lhs panel I only joined in October - but I joined eighteen months or more ago when I began using the tune-o-tron etc and saved a tune book. I suspect that having two lot of membership sign-up will confuse some of us simpler folk, who may not return. I really couldn't understand why I couldn't post when I was already logged in, or so I thought.

The date on the lhs is when you registered for the forum. That's not the same as for the rest of c.net.

See this note of our administrator Paul Schwartz.