Suggestion for this forum

Jim Besser

I was just thinking that, since most of the threads in the Buy & Sell forum start with an offer to sell or buy, one might achieve the goals of Jim's original post by only reading the first post in each thread. I really don't think there's any way to stop "thread creep."

I'm one of those who like this forum as it is, and I speak as one who has sold, I think it's three concertinas but it may be more, plus a melodeon through this forum. I would always use this in preference to eBay any day, and the chatter that goes on here does not, in my experience, get in the way of the serious business of buying and selling. In fact I think it enhances it by creating a friendly atmosphere. Leave well enough alone, I reckon.

Cheers,

Chris

I'll defer to Chris here. Wise man. It's not a bad idea to make it "transactions-only", but I think the chatter around buying/selling/scams is probably of more value in the end... even if I don't agree with all the opinions, just having them out there helps people form their own conclusions. And this chatter really is often quite useful and informative, so what the heck.

But it was a good suggestion, so thanks everyone for the input.

Paul

It's quite another thing to ruin somebody's sale. What seems a high price to one person may seem appropriately priced to another. In the end it is the market that determines whether or not a price is fair. If a price seems so high that a bystander must say something then I think a private message to the seller would do.

Well I agree it is the market that determines the "reasonability" of a price. If someone is asking too much, sooner or later he/she will find out it doesn't sell. I think it is of no use to sneer about a price, the market mechanism will settle the right price in the end.

If somebody likes to be annoying and shouts out loud that a concertina has been offered for too much money, let him/her do so. The real deal is still between the buyer and the seller. If the seller is smart enough a serious concertinist will still have to pay the "reasonable" bunch of coins.

I don't think that comments about a high price will lower the real value of a concertina or make it less attractive.

very interesting.

KEEPING RECORD OF (EBAY) SALES AND PHOTOS?

1. Has someone been able to work out how to keep easily those ebay sales (and of course photos of the scam offers) and their details as a record for comparison?

2. A link to ebay saying: 'see this fantastic 163k ivory Lanehcaew', is fine if an ebay listing is current. But if the message is an old one then the ebay link is dead so the history has died with it.

3. Or is there an easy way to copy a current ebay item to the forum with its text and photo instead of simply the URL link or would that not be good because of forum space restrictions?

4. Or praps such data could go in a subsection of buy and sell called 'sold or sales history'. When you wanted to find out what a reversible "139k Weachenal" looked like and what it sold for by the dozen over the last five years it would be safely there with photos and final price. It might even have the name of the maker and how long it took to build -- e.g. by Bbarc, started Boxing day 2008, completed New Year's day 2009".

Just a thought...

K

What I'm a bit uncomfortable with is the number of posts which say "XXX on ebay, is this a scam?" without having any evidence that it might be.

I'm aware there are plenty of scams on ebay and this forum does a valuable job of identifying them. If you recognise the instrument being offered and it makes you suspicious, or if you've had a bad experience with the seller, then you're doing a service by pointing it out. But some of these scam scares seem to be based on nothing more than "someone told me this might be a scam". There was one such recently, and it turned out that the instrument for sale bore no resemblance to the one it was being compared with.

If you're buying, you need to be cautious about scams, and where people have real knowledge then they can make a valuable contribution by pointing them out. But raising scam scares without evidence or justified suspicion just increases people's worry, and could damage a genuine sale.

very interesting.

3. Or is there an easy way to copy a current ebay item to the forum with its text and photo instead of simply the URL link or would that not be good because of forum space restrictions?

Just a thought...

K

K

You might want to try executing a print and then select pdf when the print window appears and then hit continue or print in that window and save it to your desk top or whatever folder of your choice. This should give you several pages of everything in the auction listing including the pics. Mind you, that after archiving several of these over time may use up a lot of your available memory space. I only do this for items that I have won so that I have an exact archive of the listing in case there is a dispute, either by me or the seller. Fortunately, I have never had to use the listing pdf in any disputes. Better safe than sorry though.

The rest of your suggestions would be better worked out with Paul the moderator of this discussion forum.

useful trick, tks

very interesting.

Just a thought...

K

K

You might want to try executing a print and then select pdf when the print window appears and then hit continue or print in that window and save it to your desk top or whatever folder of your choice. This should give you several pages of everything in the auction listing including the pics. Mind you, that after archiving several of these over time may use up a lot of your available memory space. I only do this for items that I have won so that I have an exact archive of the listing in case there is a dispute, either by me or the seller. Fortunately, I have never had to use the listing pdf in any disputes. Better safe than sorry though.

The rest of your suggestions would be better worked out with Paul the moderator of this discussion forum.

useful trick, tks

You are welcome. I assume you tried it and it worked?

I created a new folder for ebay items and sub folders for purchased and interested, etc in my main document folder and selected "sort according to date". .

Edited by s2maur