Who Should I Be Listening To?

Who would you recommend as those English concertina players I should especially check out on CD. Apart from our erstwhile members who have taken the time to post their own efforts, I should say. (Thanks!)

Simon Thoumire was suggested. I've been listening to Keith Kendrick as well.

Others?

Thanks,

ldp

Keith Kendrick is interesting as he is one of the few who is fully AC/EC - that is, he plays both English and anglo with high dexterity.

The following names immediately come to mind (in no particular order): Lea Nicholson, Dave Townsend, Dick Miles, Alistair Anderson, Pietro Valente. Recordings by Lea Nicholson will now be very hard to find, but worth it (I'm The Urban Spaceman on concertina is one of the great unknown classics). Pietro Valente is a jazz player, the finest I've heard. Dave Townsend represents the "every button in sight" school of playing, while Alistair Anderson is the pure melodist par excellence. Dick Miles does sensitive song accompaniments.

Chris

The following names immediately come to mind (in no particular order): Lea Nicholson, Dave Townsend, Dick Miles, Alistair Anderson, Pietro Valente.

The next question is, of course, where to get these... or any others that might be recommended. Especially for someone in America.

Here are some players of English who live in North America:

.. Louis Killen (song accompaniment; some tunes)

.. Jeff Warner (song accompaniment; some tunes)

.. Jerry Epstein (song accompaniment; some tunes)

.. John Roberts (song accompaniment; some tunes; both anglo and English)

.. George Marshall (a few tunes on Wild Asparagus recordings)

.. Riggy Rackin (a variety)

.. David Paton

.. Randy Hudson (No Band Is an Island)

.. Ken Sweeney (I don't know if he's recorded, but he should have!)

.. Richard Carlin

.. Ian Robb (song accompaniment; some tunes)

.. Mike Agranoff (song accompaniment; some tunes)

More Brits, Scots, & others:

.. Alf Edwards

.. John Nixon

.. Robert Harbron

.. Anne Gregson (w/ Chris Timson)

.. Bernard Wrigley (he doesn't only play the bass concertina)

The Button Box carries many of these, though not all. Also lists some others I'm not familiar with. And I know I've missed out many more than I've listed. Then there are all those folks who play but haven't yet issued any recordings. Like me.

Happy hunting.

As a minor deviation; whatever happened to Lea Nicolson? I bought a second hand copy of his 'The concertina record' about 15 years ago (still have it). I play anglo, so I've not yet tried to reproduce his version of the Brandenburg Concerto.

Clive.

I would recommend Ian Robb, he does some great stuff, especially his accompaniment work. You'll find him on Finest Kind CDs too.

Also, on the old Gary and Vera Aspey albums she did some nice simple but effective accompaniment.

Edited by Paul Read

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming!

The next question is, of course, where to get these... or any others that might be recommended. Especially for someone in America.

Ah ... this is where friends come in handy. And since this is a long voyage of listening and appreciating and learning, there's time.

ldp

Ian Robb has an album called "Grass Roots" by the "Old Sod Band" which is only instrumental and I think is a great pleasure to listen to. I have used it to help me along with quite a few tunes, for both Irish and Contra Dance. He performs in eastern Canada. George Marshall is also fun to listen to and he performs in the North East U.S. Also Alistair Anderson can be heard on one or two of Fennig’s All-Star String Band Vinyl LPs, I guess from the late 70s or early 80s. I am pretty sure Wendy Morrison of Washington DC is on a few CDs one of which is all O'Carolan tunes. I will have to check out the music from all the other folks on the list. Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

Its a dirty job but somebody has to do it.

I'm glad that someone is doing it. I would help compile a list if I had a better start. A few of the CDs I thought had a few tunes with concertina on them turned out to be small accordions or melodions.

Bandoneon is another story :D

And Paul, I appreciate your pointing out that website. The price is dear given the current exchange rate. I hope one of my friends abroad will be able to help find a means to defray the cost.

Thanks for your help.

ldp

edited to add other thoughts....

Edited by ldpaulson

Of all those listed.. who might be the players using just the standard 48  and not a tenor treble????

Most of those on the list I gave play standard treble, though some have more than one instrument and so may use a tenor-treble, baritone, etc. on some numbers.

Guest Roger Gawley

Well, if I am allowed to say this, I am part owner of a shop that could supply most of the CDs cited (and many more) to any part of the world. Take a look at

http://www.roots2music.com

Chris Timson above understated Keith Kendrick's talents: he is the only man I have seen switch from Anglo to English and back during a tune set. I reckon he missed about one bar total doing it.

If you buy his "Well Seasoned" CD, you get a duet with Ralph Jordan as a bonus. Speaking of Ralph, "Flat Earth" by Patterson, Jordan, Dipper (John, son of Colin) is very good although there is not all that much concertina on it.

Anyone who wants to experience a rich density of concertina players, and the chance to purchase their CDs, should consider the Lancaster Maritime Festival this Easter. I do not have details of who is appearing yet, but it is usually just about everyone with a reputation for maritime song, and most of it is Free!!

Robin Madge