The Best Christmas Present!

Pam B

Hello Pam

I too had a concertina Christmas. My husband got me a soft case for my new to me 1926 Wheatstone. I also got the 3 CD set of English Concertina music along with several more CD's on Morris tunes. I even got the Concertina Workshop book and CD.

Pam Howard

BRasstown, NC

I had a free reed Christmas. My daughter who curently lives in China, came home to Scotland for Christmas with a 17 reed Sheng for me. Fascinating, incredible instrument, at times it sounds so similar to my Wheatstone, its uncanny.

3135957691_1e3dfda190.jpg

Edited by Simon H

Hello Pam

I too had a concertina Christmas. My husband got me a soft case for my new to me 1926 Wheatstone. I also got the 3 CD set of English Concertina music along with several more CD's on Morris tunes. I even got the Concertina Workshop book and CD.

Pam Howard

BRasstown, NC

Blimey Pam; what a great hubby. He doesn't want to adopt a new son does he?

Ian

Cool instrument! Any chance of a sound file?

I'd love to hear it.

RB

You're probably better served doing a Youtube search for Sheng - there you'll find some vids of players who have mastered it. At the moment I suspect I need to do some adjusting to get all the reeds to sound at the same air pressure as a couple are barely sounding. Also despite going round it with my chromatic tuner and marking each tube with a paper dot telling me the note, I'm not at the point of remembering or understanding the sequence. So even getting a basic tune is a laborious process. It is tuned in d with a couple of extra accidentals. (at least that's how it seems). It definitely is brand new and needs some working in.

Nonetheless what a party piece to turn up and play a couple of tunes with at our local session!!

If other concertina historians or those like me who have an interest in unusual musical instruments are interested I know these can be had on ebay, (the usual way for things like this, a low buy-it-now price but postage about £80) or I might be able to get my daughter to send a couple over when she goes back in a week or two. PM me if you are interested.

Simon

Blimey Pam; what a great hubby. He doesn't want to adopt a new son does he?

Ian

I am rather smart.....I emailed him my list so he can print it out, with telephone numbers, and exact descriptions of what I want. When I do that I get something I can use and something that I really would rather not have. Sorry no adopting unless we can our daughter to make ends meet on her own<g>

Pam Howard

Brastown, NC