Another Lachenal McCann Duet?

Ptarmigan

Yep....them pesky critters just keep poppin' up.................

Ah ha, thought so, though I must confess, I'm not in the least bit interested in these strange dudes.

I'm just kinda pleased that I'm actually starting to recognize these odd looking beasts.

I'm afraid, the fact that there's not much of a pattern to the buttons, would immediately put me off.

Plus, with this one, I'd be a bit concerned, when the seller says things like:

".... and there is a good strong sound when you pull the ends in and out." :blink:

Cheers

Dick

I'm afraid, the fact that there's not much of a pattern to the buttons, would immediately put me off.

ah but there is: its just not obvious.

To study the MacCaan is a sojurn few concertina players have dared to venture, yet as in all things in life the rewards are tempered with remorse. Only regret your failure to visualize, that Dr. was onto something.

Edited by Hooves

"I'm afraid, the fact that there's not much of a pattern to the buttons, would immediately put me off."

Hey Dick,

I have recently picked up a Maccann here in Aus... it was a mystery until I downloaded patterns for scales off Concertina.com. Now I must admit I am hooked! Though strange at first... The maccan system seems very logical when you start to play. Your fingers seem to fall to the right spot. I am an anglo player so it is a big change, but one I am enjoying. The maccann seems very suited to bach's contrapunctal peices.

(Not that I am not playing the anglo any more... )

Dave

Yep....them pesky critters just keep poppin' up.................

Indeed - this one is in germany filed under antiques Nice but pricey - made worse by the value of the pound to euro at the mo.

Except that this one is a Wheatstone. Looks like a lovely instrument, and I would have thought that any serious collector would see this as desireable, despite the price tag. I'm sure this one has been flagged up before. From the photograph of the one end, I would guess that it's in amazing condition for its age.

I hope it goes to a good home, where it will be loved, and played as regularly as this quality of instrument demands.

The Lachenal 46-key looks like it has had a tough life: many bellows corners crudely patched with some non-matching leather scraps, and other badly worn corners unpatched. But the raised metal ends indicate that is better quality than most 46-keys. So it is likely to need a full restoration, and even a better quality Lachenal 46-key won't be worth very much more than £700 in fully restored condition.

The 67-key Wheatstone is of a size and type to be highly desirable to many serious Maccann players. Again we cannot tell whether it needs basic maintenance/retuning, etc. But the main issue is, as Peter says, the exchange rate, and today this is expensive in pounds and dollars. Are there many buyer for top quality Maccanns who paying in Euros? I think rather more of them are paying in pounds and dollars.