Price compare Rochelle

Hello members I want advice please on the place/price to buy a beginners Anglo Rochelle Concertina in England. It will have to be mail order online. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Just seen a demo on you tube of a rochelle by someone called le Faux at Cleckheaton but it still looks big for me..is there a small one perhaps for a child which is same technique and quality?

Edited by doggyvonne

Hi,

I bought my Rochelle a year or so ago from http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/

I found them efficient and friendly, and received some good advice on the choice of instrument before ordering.

I cannot comment on whether the Rochelle is the right choice for you as I have nothing to compare it with, but I play it just about every day which must say something about the quality of the instrument.

Good luck.

Rich.

Hi,

I bought my Rochelle a year or so ago from http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/

I found them efficient and friendly, and received some good advice on the choice of instrument before ordering.

I cannot comment on whether the Rochelle is the right choice for you as I have nothing to compare it with, but I play it just about every day which must say something about the quality of the instrument.

Good luck.

Rich.

thank you for your fast reply. Yes I am familiar with themusicroom and seen what they have in stock however I was wondering if I missed other suppliers with offers etc. The size is now an issue and wondered if there as a child sized rochelle whihc does not compromise on sound or quality? I would consider a newish secondhand one too. Think it is a great pity that lots of folks dont get the chance just to handle and experiment for a few minutes in a shop but in our area this is rarely possible and sales people dont know much even if they have one in the shop to look at. I belong to U3A and wanted to start a U3A music group which is essentially a music workshop but looking for other enthusiastic people with instruments to meet in my house in Ely. U3A is for retired folks in the Ely area or at least over 50 and avialable in the afternoons.

Have seen some fom china on ebay at £75 each all black. the seller which is a shop says that they are great value and I believe him but can they be repaired in UK as other models?

Edited by doggyvonne

Another vote here for the Music Room - and a tip: wait for their January sale! The Rochelle is a bit bigger than most Anglos but I don't think anything else comes near it on quality for the price. The video someone posted recently of a very small Irish girl playing beautifully on a full-size Anglo should reassure you that even small hands can cope with the fingering.

The instrument is usually supported on your knee so a bit of weight shouldn't be a problem. ;)

The size is now an issue and wondered if there as a child sized rochelle whihc does not compromise on sound or quality?

I don't think that size is as much of an issue as most people would believe. See this recent thread and the video which we were discussing:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8578

A bit off topic, but I have just realised I received my Rochelle two years ago today! OK, I had to check my diary - this isn't the kind of thing I carry around in my head.

I will have to think of a way to celebrate tonight, and also apologise to my partner for putting up with me for the last two years.

Rich.

The size is now an issue and wondered if there as a child sized rochelle whihc does not compromise on sound or quality?

I don't think that size is as much of an issue as most people would believe. See this recent thread and the video which we were discussing:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8578

Thanks but when i click on it all I get is biscuit the dog? I have three real live ones and they all answer to the name of 'Biscuit' :lol:

the size and weight is an issue for me as I am old and have bad shoulders and cant hold a position with anything too weighty.

Are these chinese models at £75 on ebay any good for a beginner- would cost me that to hire one for six months? :blink:

Another vote here for the Music Room - and a tip: wait for their January sale! The Rochelle is a bit bigger than most Anglos but I don't think anything else comes near it on quality for the price. The video someone posted recently of a very small Irish girl playing beautifully on a full-size Anglo should reassure you that even small hands can cope with the fingering.

The instrument is usually supported on your knee so a bit of weight shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Thanks I might just wait till then..but it's odd because Millers in Cambridge say 'quick buy now as the stocks are all going up 20% in January'.. :rolleyes:

A bit off topic, but I have just realised I received my Rochelle two years ago today! OK, I had to check my diary - this isn't the kind of thing I carry around in my head.

I will have to think of a way to celebrate tonight, and also apologise to my partner for putting up with me for the last two years.

Rich.

Happy anniversary to you :rolleyes: I hope you and 'tina' will be blissfully happy forever ;)

the size and weight is an issue for me as I am old and have bad shoulders and cant hold a position with anything too weighty.

Are these chinese models at £75 on ebay any good for a beginner- would cost me that to hire one for six months?

Well I've got a cheap one (well relatively cheap,from hobgoblin, not a rochelle I might add ). And I find the bellows need quite a bit of oompf....although after 3 months of practicing either I'm getting stronger or the bellows are getting easier to push 'n' pull. :rolleyes:

Edited by LDT

Are these chinese models at £75 on ebay any good for a beginner- would cost me that to hire one for six months?

Well I've got a cheap one (well relatively cheap,from hobgoblin, not a rochelle I might add ). And I find the bellows need quite a bit of oompf....although after 3 months of practicing either I'm getting stronger or the bellows are getting easier to push 'n' pull. :rolleyes:

That is interesting. Might I ask how much it was and the model etc? You see Ideally all I would want is to try it out because I can tell if I can manage it well after a few minutes really..can buy a cheap one to see if I can manage a better one of a similar size and weight and also if I can play the chromatic system. I am fairly able with my melodeon which is Chromatic but it is too weighty and unwieldy tbh.

Hi doggyvonne

Thanks but when i click on it all I get is biscuit the dog? I have three real live ones and they all answer to the name of 'Biscuit' :lol:

Watch the whole clip, or fast forward to 2:45. It's worth it. You're in for a treat.

Are these chinese models at £75 on ebay any good for a beginner- would cost me that to hire one for six months? :blink:

In a short essay: NO! There are more frustrations than it's worth, and it might not last 6 months. You would then have an unrepairable instrument. Wasted money, and a false economy.

Leo

That is interesting. Might I ask how much it was and the model etc? You see Ideally all I would want is to try it out because I can tell if I can manage it well after a few minutes really..can buy a cheap one to see if I can manage a better one of a similar size and weight and also if I can play the chromatic system. I am fairly able with my melodeon which is Chromatic but it is too weighty and unwieldy tbh.

It's a GR4714 Scarlatti 30 key C/G Anglo

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/GR4714-p-Sc...-Anglo-Page.htm

Was £165...I went to the shop in London and well after trying out different ones come back with the scarlatti.

If you want to know how it sounds

http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BFB...D3CE&page=2

I've put up a couple of videos.

Flaming Hell - I've just looked at the Music Room website and seen that the Rochelle has gone up to £370! I bought mine in their last January sale for £180 (including 20% discount). So much for prices coming down because of the recession... :blink:

Hi Dave

Do you suppose the reason is that the factory is now in the US, and the price increase is duties and such? It happened this past year.

Thanks

Leo

Hi Dave

Do you suppose the reason is that the factory is now in the US, and the price increase is duties and such? It happened this past year.

Thanks

Leo

Hi Leo

That might well be the explanation. Not very often I manage to time something right...

I only had the Rochelle for about 3 months before I part-exed it with Chris Algar - I think he does take the occasional non-concertina-reeded instrument to festivals, etc. so it might be worthwhile trying to hunt down a secondhand Rochelle.

Flaming Hell - I've just looked at the Music Room website and seen that the Rochelle has gone up to £370! I bought mine in their last January sale for £180 (including 20% discount). So much for prices coming down because of the recession... :blink:

The prices of imported goods are set to rise, because the pound has crashed against the Euro (close to parity) and is now weaker against the dollar than it was. Doubt that a £100 hike is justified, though.