Tenor / Treble

Ptarmigan

While poking around in The Ledgers, I hunted out, or tried to, the info on my Tenor /Treble ~ 28004, but unfortunately, apart from the date Jan 31st there's nothing there! :(

Here's the page: 1919

Can you guys tell anything at all about this instrument from what's not written there ... if you see what I mean? :)

Cheers

Dick

SV=steel vibrators I think

WS=wrist straps

The diagonal line seems to indicate that the design of the instrument is the same as the one above it. I assume that the Black indication means that it has ebonized wood ends.

In this period the ledgers don't say who bought it, so it's hard to read any more into the history.

WS=wrist straps

The diagonal line seems to indicate that the design of the instrument is the same as the one above it. I assume that the Black indication means that it has ebonized wood ends.

In this period the ledgers don't say who bought it, so it's hard to read any more into the history.

Yes, that ties in ok.

It has 8 sides & is black.

Wrist Straps eh! Hmmm interesting, as it doesn't have them now.

However, there are a couple of groups of 3 tiny holes on either end, where straps must have been attached at one time.

That'll do very nicely thanks, Larry.

Cheers

Dick

WS=wrist straps

Also No.19 refers to the model number in the price list.

Here's a link to a 1920 price list http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheat...t-Eng-c1920.pdf

Steve

WS=wrist straps

Here's a link to a 1920 price list http://www.concertina.com/pricelists/wheat...t-Eng-c1920.pdf

Steve

That's great Steve, it's good to know & also means that my Baritone is a Model 20.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Dick

WS=wrist straps

Steve

That's great Steve, it's good to know & also means that my Baritone is a Model 20.

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Dick

WS=wrist straps

Steve

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Dick

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...entry8251

I believe the discussion above had established that the S.V. meant single valve

Best regards,

Gerry

So I see Gerry, thanks.

I see that it also established that there was no such thing as a Double Valve.

However, my #22 has an air valve in front of each thumb strap.

I'm sure mine is not the only one, or is it?

My TT only physically has one, but the slit in the fretwork is there for one on the other side.

Cheers

Dick

"In general, the answer is that on the English (and duets) the air valve is not used during playing. "Signor" Jame Alsepti introduced and (with Richard Ballinger) patented a system of paired air valves -- one in each hand, and each working in only one direction of the bellows, -- and he apparently promoted or taught a style of playing using those valves while playing. I understand that Harry Boyd commissioned instruments with such "bowing valves" from both Wheatstone and Lachenal, and the existence of a few such instruments has been reported here on C.net over the last couple of years.

But there don't seem to be any contemporary players who have bowing valves that actually use them while playing, and I don't think it's even clear how Harry Boyd used them or whether any other performers ever did. There doesn't seem to be any need for or even benefit from them while playing an English. The idea that such "bowing valves" would be helpful in using the bellows to imitate the bowing patterns of a violin appears spurious, since the violin has no corresponding aids, and so any pattern of reversals -- bellows or bow -- that would exceed the limits of the bellows should be expected to go beyond the end of a bow, as well.

Standard (one hand, good for both directions of the bellows) air valves seem to be used -- and useful -- only for the purpose of opening or closing the bellows without playing a note."

Dick: The above paragraphs written by Jim Lucas in March 2006 may be helpful. Do your two valves work on both the push and pull or are they "one way' only? An interesting instrument indeed.

Best regards,

Gerry

"In general, the answer is that on the English (and duets) the air valve is not used during playing. "Signor" Jame Alsepti introduced and (with Richard Ballinger) patented a system of paired air valves -- one in each hand, and each working in only one direction of the bellows, -- and he apparently promoted or taught a style of playing using those valves while playing. I understand that Harry Boyd commissioned instruments with such "bowing valves" from both Wheatstone and Lachenal, and the existence of a few such instruments has been reported here on C.net over the last couple of years.

But there don't seem to be any contemporary players who have bowing valves that actually use them while playing, and I don't think it's even clear how Harry Boyd used them or whether any other performers ever did. There doesn't seem to be any need for or even benefit from them while playing an English. The idea that such "bowing valves" would be helpful in using the bellows to imitate the bowing patterns of a violin appears spurious, since the violin has no corresponding aids, and so any pattern of reversals -- bellows or bow -- that would exceed the limits of the bellows should be expected to go beyond the end of a bow, as well.

Standard (one hand, good for both directions of the bellows) air valves seem to be used -- and useful -- only for the purpose of opening or closing the bellows without playing a note."

Dick: The above paragraphs written by Jim Lucas in March 2006 may be helpful. Do your two valves work on both the push and pull or are they "one way' only? An interesting instrument indeed.

Best regards,

Gerry

Very interesting.

Gerry, they work both ways, but it's the first & only Treble I have ever owned, so I wasn't surprised to find that it had two.

Cheers

Dick