replacing a lever arm...

Hi,

Advice please...

A lever arm went yesterday evening :( (just before the session, & there I was left tapping my fingers on the bar table...) The arm had worn through at the bottom.

No time to send my box to Theo so I'm going to try to make a replacement part...

I'll flatten a piece of brass wire in the middle to make a new arm, & drill the hole in it. But how do I get out/replace the rivet?

There's a suggestion on this forum to use a very small bolt... where would one get one?

Is it possible to do this repair without taking out the pivot post? I hope so.

btw, it's a Jones.

Many thanks for any advice,

Lleanne

Hi,

Advice please...

A lever arm went yesterday evening :( (just before the session, & there I was left tapping my fingers on the bar table...) The arm had worn through at the bottom.

No time to send my box to Theo so I'm going to try to make a replacement part...

I'll flatten a piece of brass wire in the middle to make a new arm, & drill the hole in it. But how do I get out/replace the rivet?

There's a suggestion on this forum to use a very small bolt... where would one get one?

Is it possible to do this repair without taking out the pivot post? I hope so.

btw, it's a Jones.

Many thanks for any advice,

Lleanne

As a temporary, check out the bolts used to hold glasses frames together, you can pick up a glasses repair kit or a cheap pair of glasses/sunglasses with suitable bolts for very little money.

Its going to be much easier to take out the old rivet after pulling out the post. If you can make a new lever you should be capable of pulling out a post, driving out the old rivet and then fitting a new rivet. Why do a temporary repair when you are well on the way to doing a proper job!

Its going to be much easier to take out the old rivet after pulling out the post. If you can make a new lever you should be capable of pulling out a post, driving out the old rivet and then fitting a new rivet. Why do a temporary repair when you are well on the way to doing a proper job!

Crikey you over-estimate my competance... I can bash out a bit of wire but have never dealt with rivets... don't know where to obtain them/how to fix. I can try getting the post out...

Lleanne

Crikey you over-estimate my competance... I can bash out a bit of wire but have never dealt with rivets... don't know where to obtain them/how to fix. I can try getting the post out...

Lleanne

If you can bash a bit of wire and do it precisely enough to make a lever, then you have done (in my opinion) something more difficult that making and fitting a rivet. After all, a rivet is just a bit of wire bashed at the ends. Maybe you are overestimating your ability to make a lever?

Lleanne

better still, meaure the lever arm between the pivot and the key end, and the pivot and the end at the pad, add the two together for an overall length and a pivot / end length. Phone David Leese and he will be able to send you a reclaimed pivot/ arm assembly, if not I may have one available, but David is more likely to be able to sort you out with an exact replacement. David is the Mr Unipart of the Concertina World.

regards

Dave

• 13 years later...

Reviving this old thread because I now have the same problem on my main concertina (a probable Crabb Anglo from around 1890).   It's a very short arm that's broken, about 4 cm long.  Does anyone have any current suggestions for getting a replacement, ideally but not necessarily in the US?  I realize I could try contacting Greg Jowaisas or Wim Wakker or Button Box (or Mark Lloyd-Adey in the UK) but I thought I would start here.

Daniel

Any local machinist should be able to make a copy of what you’ve got. It may be expensive, but there probably isn’t a cheap way to get one unless someone like Wim, who mass-produces levers, has one in the exact shape you need.

Edited by David Barnert
Punctuation correction

5 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Any local machinist should be able to make a copy of what you’ve got. It may be expensive, but there probably isn’t a cheap way to get one unless someone like Wim, who mass-produces levers, has one in the exact shape you need.

Here’s a sample of text from the web page of a machine shop  in the New York area:

CAN'T GET THAT PART ANYMORE?

We can help!  One of our most important contributions to our customers is our ability to fabricate replacement parts.  Often, companies we work with use equipment that eventually becomes defective or damaged in some way.  Many times, when these companies try to contact the manufacturer, they learn that the part they need has been discontinued or the manufacturer has gone out of business.  If we are provided with the defective part or the mating components, we can fabricate a new part for you and have your machine up and running in no time.

We make replacement shafts and assorted parts for:

• HVAC Units
  • Pumps & Motors
  • Medical/Dental Components
  • Food & Beverage Equipment
  • Construction Equipment
  • Motor Vehicles
  • Printing Equipment
  • Laboratory Equipment

& Much, Much More!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 12:34 PM, David Barnert said:

David - thanks again for this suggestion.  You were right on both counts - a local machinist could do it (and did do it) and it was expensive, but the problem is solved.