E Bay

Kelteglow

Hi All

Item on E Bay (AC Norman Anglo Concertina No 1096)in Leicester UK .I have an AC Norman Anglo Cocertina also numbered 1096.

I don't think my concertina has ever appeared on E Bay. I have tried to contact Andew Norman and have left a message for him in case ther is another explanation .Happy Christmas and New Year to you all .Bob

The reply from the seller ---

Hi Mike

the concertina shown in the pictures is the one for sale

how the number as been allotted you will have to ask A C NORMAN that i really could not say

this auction is for a great sounding & great condition concertina 100% GENUINE

best regards Danny

Hope this helps

Mike

I tried posting earlier, but it didn't "take" - apologies if it's a duplication...

I spoke to Andrew Nowman about his serial numbering a few years ago (I own 994), and he explained it as follows:

The first 1 or 2 digits are the month, the last 2 digits are the year.

So:

994 = September 1994

1096 = October 1996

The scheme allows for duplications, but when he started, he didn't make more than 12 a year.

But it's always easy to find out when it was made, and no worries about the legers going missing!

Regards,

MichaelB

Edited by MichaelB

I tried posting earlier, but it didn't "take" - apologies if it's a duplication...

I spoke to Andrew Nowman about his serial numbering a few years ago (I own 994), and he explained it as follows:

The first 1 or 2 digits are the month, the last 2 digits are the year.

So:

994 = Septamber 1994

1096 = October 1996

The scheme allows for duplications, but when he started, he didn't make more than 12 a year.

But it's always easy to find out when it was made, and no worries about the legers going missing!

Regards,

MichaelB

Andrew told me this same information when I got mine. Which is 895 (August 1995)

Try item no 180313816663

Mike

Thanks for clearing that matter up .I did not know the meathod of numbering and thought only I had a concertina with that number .With E bays reputation it is better to be safe than out of pocket afterwards .The concertina if its like mine is excellent and holds its own in any session plenty of volume , responsive and good on air.ATB Bob

re: Item on E Bay (AC Norman Anglo Concertina No 1096)

I'm interested in buying this Norman too. I'm very much in need of a good C/G. I'm only playing G/D at present.

If I can't get this Norman, I'm prompted to go for a second hand Richard Morse "Ceili". Presumably they are similar accordion-reeded concertinas. Can anyone comment on similarities or differences?

Thanks

Eamonn

re: Item on E Bay (AC Norman Anglo Concertina No 1096)

I've managed to buy this Norman C/G. I'd still appreciate any comparisons with other hand-made accordion reeded concertinas as I don't know how long i can continue to borrow "my" G/D and I'm on over a years wait for Andrew Norman to make me a 36 button C/G & D/G. I would have to find another D/G before then when my loan runs out. If this is a sensitive issue for some reason, please PM me!

I've got a Morse Ceili G/D and I've had goes on a couple of Normans over the years. I'd say they are comparable instruments in terms of quality and playability, but very different in character. I think the best way I can put it is the Normans I've played are more "butch" than my Morse! Most people would be happy with either, I think, if they arte interested in concertinas in that price range.

Chris

I've managed to buy this Norman C/G.

Ha!, I saw that - you were 'lucky'! - the person who bid £20 or so less must have been p*ssed off! Had a punt myself as it would have done as a nice wee instrument for my daughter but sure we'll keep looking out.

Nope, there was a bit of luck as the highest bid up to about 30 sec. left was about £700 - it started at £600 : In the final flurry, the bids jumped £300 and two people bid over £1000 with Eamon just edging it by a few quid.

Apparently someone talked to Boney about a good general and he replied that he preferred lucky ones.

Ian

Eamonn's actual maximum bid could have been considerably higher. EBay only displays the price that he actually paid, which is the second-highest bid plus a fairly small increment. If his maximum bid was higher and the second highest bidder had bid a higher price, Eamonn still could have won, but he would have paid more.

Nope, there was a bit of luck as the highest bid up to about 30 sec. left was about £700 - it started at £600 : In the final flurry, the bids jumped £300 and two people bid over £1000 with Eamon just edging it by a few quid.
Edited by Daniel Hersh

Well, you learn something every day :) Obviously I never read all the ebay rules - I thought if you bid £x and you won, you paid £x

Hi tombilly

It's called proxy bidding with a maximum amount automatically instead of a manual bid.

It's explained here: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/proxy-bidding.html

Here is the bid history. Look at the times to see how it works.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...p;showauto=true

Thanks

Leo