Jones Anglo Recently Sold On Ebay

Chris Drinkwater

This beautiful refurbished metal-ended 32 key C/G Anglo Concertina by George Jones, Ebay item number:180313788833, sold on Ebay on thursday for just £1,025. A similar metal-ended Lachenal Anglo would set you back £2,000. I'm not an Anglo player, so I have no experience of the different makes and how they compare for quality and sound. £1,025 seems like an absolute bargain to me for a 32 key anglo with metal ends and proper reeds, cheaper even, than an equivalent English treble concertina. How good is a Jones compared to a Lachenal, or even Wheatstone? Would any anglo players out there, especially Jones owners, care to comment? Has someone got a bargain?

Chris

This beautiful refurbished metal-ended 32 key C/G Anglo Concertina by George Jones, Ebay item number:180313788833, sold on Ebay on thursday for just £1,025. A similar metal-ended Lachenal Anglo would set you back £2,000. I'm not an Anglo player, so I have no experience of the different makes and how they compare for quality and sound. £1,025 seems like an absolute bargain to me for a 32 key anglo with metal ends and proper reeds, cheaper even, than an equivalent English treble concertina. How good is a Jones compared to a Lachenal, or even Wheatstone? Would any anglo players out there, especially Jones owners, care to comment? Has someone got a bargain?

Chris

I would say yes it's a bargain. I had one very similar and it was a beauty and a nice player. I wish I'd bid on it.

Chris

I would say yes it's a bargain. I had one very similar and it was a beauty and a nice player. I wish I'd bid on it.

I thought it was a bargain too. I bought it for a 12 years old who now plays whistle. She's been dying for one and her folks finally agreed to get her one for her birthday. The seller said he sent me an invoice - not yet received - and he might be having seller's remorse. It might yet work out and I'll let everybody know what the concertina sounds like when and if it arrives.

Edited by David Levine

The only thing that put me off bidding was the lack of feedback for this seller , plus he was not listing anything else to sell which can be a good indication of selling intent, while i fully appreciate that everyone has to start from scratch , so caution was needed here .

I have been caught once only thankfully and it cost be too .

If nothing is heard from Craigi6722 then dont push to hard or you may well gey burnt .

Mike

Chris

I thought it was a bargain too. I bought it for a friend who plays the whistle. But the seller has not answered my emails and seems to be having seller's remorse. It's a shame. There doesn't seem to be much that I can do at this point.

I thought the listing seemed a bit suspicious to me. The fact that the seller is brand new to Ebay, at least under the name he was using to sell the concertina, so zero feedback. There was no reserve set; he started off at a penny, odd for such a potentially valuable instrument. It was a private listing, so bidders' ID's were kept secret. All the hallmarks of a scam. Yet, on the plus side, the pictures and description of the anglo seemed to very good and honest and he said bidders should contact him if further information was required. Nobody on C.net, who may have viewed the listing, has said that they recognise the photos and description from another listing, suggesting it might be a scam. I guess if the sale was bogus, or he has had second thoughts, changed his mind and withdrawn the item from sale, with zero feedback, he is not going to suffer from being blacklisted under his craigi6722 ID. Let us know what transpires, David. My fingers are crossed for you.

Chris

Edited by Chris Drinkwater

But the seller has not answered my emails and seems to be having seller's remorse. It's a shame. There doesn't seem to be much that I can do at this point.

I thought the listing seemed a bit suspicious to me. The fact that the seller is brand new to Ebay, at least under the name he was using to sell the concertina, so zero feedback. There was no reserve set; he started off at a penny, odd for such a potentially valuable instrument. It was a private listing, so bidders' ID's were kept secret. All the hallmarks of a scam. Yet, on the plus side, the pictures and description of the anglo seemed to very good and honest and he said bidders should contact him if further information was required. Nobody on C.net, who may have viewed the listing, has said that they recognise the photos and description from another listing, suggesting it might be a scam. I guess if the sale was bogus, or he has had second thoughts, changed his mind and withdrawn the item from sale, with zero feedback, he is not going to suffer from being blacklisted under his craigi6722 ID. Let us know what transpires, David. My fingers are crossed for you

Chris

Don't give up yet. Some people just don't communicate well. Give it a week before you do anything.

Edited by Paul Read

Chris

I thought it was a bargain too..........the seller has not answered my emails and seems to be having seller's remorse. It's a shame. There doesn't seem to be much that I can do at this point.

I avioded it for the same reason. Otherwise I'd have been bidding too!

This little Jones does look like a real bargain, and I'm glad it's gone to such a young player. Having a decent instrument when you're that young makes a BIG difference. I started when I was six, on a Gremlin :( and then got treated to a C/G lachenal when I was ten. This improved my playing no end. When it wore out i got the Norman.

I only avoided bidding myself as I have had my fingers burnt on ebay before (although luckily it didn't cost me anything), and now I know where the concertina has gone and at what price I am very pleased that no one put in a bid at silly money.

Cheers

Pip

Edited by pipives

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I thought it was a bargain too. I bought it for a 12 years old who now plays whistle. She's been dying for one and her folks finally agreed to get her one for her birthday. The seller said he sent me an invoice - not yet received - and he might be having seller's remorse. It might yet work out and I'll let everybody know what the concertina sounds like when and if it arrives.

So did this one ever get sorted David?

Hi Paul- yes, it did get sorted. That is to say, it was a scam all along. It took me a while to realize that.

I started to get a bit nervous when the "seller" completely ignored my repeated requests for his telephone number so that we could make voice contact.

I finally found a number for the guest house which the seller/scammer listed as his address. The people there had never heard of him.

I did receive impressively branded invoices from Moneygram, which assured me that the seller was bonded.

However, Ebay specifically mentions that Moneygram has been connected with past scams.

There were also some misspellings and grammatical errors on the document that gave the game away.

It wasn't even a close call since I was very careful.

The concertina didn't go anywhere, Pip, since there wasn't one to begin with.

If it seems too good to be true then it probably is....

Edited by David Levine