Concertina database

wally

If I remember well there once was a database of concertina's in the (horniman?) museum internet pages. I remember that in 2000 you could check lots of pages with pictures of concertina's, mostly english make but also including german brands. Unfortunately it disappeared from the internet. Such a database on the internet would be interesting (not for identifying serial numbers or owners but) for checking if a concertina at hand is a known type or model and also information for dating my concertina (like the wheatstone ledgers) is interesting, and now I'll stop for today as I have a date with my concertina.

As you surmised the wrist straps are absent, where would they be attached as, by memory (I'm at work) there are no obvious attachment points?

Here's a picture of my 1915 model 21 with wrist straps fitted. The top fitting is a screw of the same type as the thumb strap screws so there should be two small brass discs with threaded holes set into the edge one flat round from the thumb straps. On the next flat around will be two tiny holes, the bottom of the strap was fixed with a wood screw in a tiny screw cup; replacements for all of these parts are available from Steve Dickinson at Wheatstone.

photo-3860.jpg

Yes mine does have the attachment points for the wrist straps, it also seems to have non standard thumb straps.

I will post some pictures in the new year when I have some time.

Do many players use wrist straps and what are the pros and cons?

Cheers Wally

If I remember well there once was a database of concertina's in the (horniman?) museum internet pages. I remember that in 2000 you could check lots of pages with pictures of concertina's, mostly english make but also including german brands. Unfortunately it disappeared from the internet. ...

Not quite. Its here. There's also a new catalogue, but I haven't seen it yet, as it won't work on my Linux machine. Can't seem to get away from Windoze.....