Concertina database

wally

Hi

As I'm relatively new to the forum I apologize if this is an old topic.

What do people think about a database of instruments owned by users of this forum.

I'm not sure of the benefits such of such a database but I am curious about the numbers and histories surviving instruments.

It could just be a record of maker, age, serial number and where and when the current owner came by the instrument.

A picture or two would be nice too.

I'll retire to a safe distance and take cover.

Wally

Hi

As I'm relatively new to the forum I apologize if this is an old topic.

What do people think about a database of instruments owned by users of this forum.

I'm not sure of the benefits such of such a database but I am curious about the numbers and histories surviving instruments.

It could just be a record of maker, age, serial number and where and when the current owner came by the instrument.

A picture or two would be nice too.

I'll retire to a safe distance and take cover.

Wally

Wally,

There's something of that sort, but limited to Crane system duets, here, in the form of a picture gallery with "biographical" data such as you mention.

Looking at the small number of instruments shown, I doubt whether everyone who has a Crane has listed it. Probably not, for the reasons that Leo gave.

Cheers,

John

I can see issues with this, but perhaps a database set up with user names anonymous / optional. I love looking at pictures of concertinas and getting to understand their history. Also such a thing might provide data for historians, provide a record for owners against theft / insurance claims and provide a resource for missing concertinas. It might also help owners find out more about the history of their instruments if experts were able to provide information or fill out the fields. It might provide players an incentive to share photos, it might provide incentive to photographic types to do their best photogrpahing their cherished instruments.

There are probably web platforms out there with all the functionality we might need.

Can I put in a plug for the so called 'Lachenal Project' maintained by Randy Merris. Randy has been harvesting instrument numbers for quite a few years now from various sources, including ICA Newsletters, various concertina magazines, ebay auctions, and c-net direct members reports to him. The database is used by a few of us researchers attempting to find more info on Lachenal instrument dates, so an instrument description (type, buttons,etc) plus details of any unusual makers or dealers labels, date markings, etc is very useful. In the last list I saw (Feb07) Randy had around 2500 instruments listed. The database is anonymous, so no worries about any of us trying to sell you anything. You can see an example of its use here.

Wally,

There's something of that sort, but limited to Crane system duets, here, in the form of a picture gallery with "biographical" data such as you mention.

Looking at the small number of instruments shown, I doubt whether everyone who has a Crane has listed it. Probably not, for the reasons that Leo gave.

Cheers,

John

Thanks for giving the Crane gallery another plug! When I set it up, I was very aware of people wanting to remain anonymous, so listing the owner, or even the country, is entirely optional. The list grows (very) slowly, but a couple more have been in contact with me this week, so look out for a surge!

Expanding this idea to cover all concertinas would be a noble task, but a massive one. So who's going to do it? ;)

I can't help but thinking that participating in an instrument database is just providing potential robbers with a shopping list! I realize that there is no reason to suspect nefarious activity by any of our members, but anyone can get on and look at our postings so I for one will keep my cards close to my vest - and I recommend others do the same. Just as thieves use Obituaries to know when people won't be home because of the funeral -- and I have family members who have been victims of this crime -- thieves should not be expected to pass up a useful shopping list like this would be. So don't be naive and make their work easy for them!

Ross Schlabach

"I can't help but thinking that participating in an instrument database is just providing potential robbers with a shopping list!"

We're talking an instrument database not an address list of valuable concertinas with times when we will be at home or not and whether we leave a key under the plant pot.

We've lists of names and members willingly supplied in different threads. Everyone here Ross, I expect owns a concertina of some sort. Some of the more active members probably own valuable instruments.

Frankly I think such a resource as a database with details, photos etc would be useful to aid the recovery of stolen instruments as the listing with details and photos could be posted here, or printed off and passed around in folk clubs and sessions.

How many of us have got a good detailed set of photos and descriptions of their instruments for insurance purposes? Something like a well managed database might encourage a few more to, and the other advantages of turning up interesting instruments and aiding research might be a useful thing.

In reality many members both here and at photo sharing websites have made it clear what sort of instruments they own already. (look at Avatars, read posting, descriptions of purchases, repairs etc etc) I've not heard much about the resultant crime wave. Most concertinas get lifted in public by opportunistic thieves. I'm not convinced that there is a large concertina-theft-to-order racket out there. Most thieves would probably simply see a "squeezebox".

I think you risk more theft taking your instrument out in public than you ever would putting it on an anonymised database.

My original thoughts on the idea having a database were the same as others. I thought the value really lies in the expanding of players knowledge of their chosen instrument. There is a great deal of information on the net but I am curious about the instruments others players have and their history. I have been playing since August when I received a Scarlatti 30 button English as a birthday gift. I managed to work out a small repertoire of tunes on this woeful instrument but realized that something better was required if progress was to be made. After visits to Hobgoblin and searches on ebay I realized it was going to be difficult to find an instrument however as luck would have it a local player had a beautiful Wheatstone for sale. I am now the proud owner of that 48 button metal ended beauty (at not inconsiderable cost), serial no. 27445. A database with pictures would enable me to compare my instrument with others of a similar age and swap info with those with similar instruments. Maybe I can take a few photos and post them for comments. Finally Concertina net has provided me with valuable help and guidance and for that I thank you all.

Wally

27445. Model 22 (reasonably rare) 48 keys, hexagonal, raised nickel ends, air lever on r/h side, originally fitted with wrist straps (may now be absent). Left the workshop on the 30th April 1917; nice 'tina. :)

I am very pleased with it, the lightness of the action bears no comparison with the Scarlatti, I'm only just recovering from the blisters :(

As you surmised the wrist straps are absent, where would they be attached as, by memory (I'm at work) there are no obvious attachment points?

As you surmised the wrist straps are absent, where would they be attached as, by memory (I'm at work) there are no obvious attachment points?

Here's a picture of my 1915 model 21 with wrist straps fitted. The top fitting is a screw of the same type as the thumb strap screws so there should be two small brass discs with threaded holes set into the edge one flat round from the thumb straps. On the next flat around will be two tiny holes, the bottom of the strap was fixed with a wood screw in a tiny screw cup; replacements for all of these parts are available from Steve Dickinson at Wheatstone.

photo-3860.jpg

Some of the guys over on melodeon.net have started the melodeon equivalent;

Melodeon Database

Thanks for that link Lester, I was able to go straight to Hohner Club 1B & see a photo of an identical C/F Melodeon to my own. :)

There's certainly NO list of names & addresses for the Burglers there!

Cheers

Dick

Edited by Ptarmigan

Melodeon Database

Thanks for that link Lester, I was able to go straight to Hohner Club 1B & see a photo of an identical C/F Melodeon to my own. :)

Cheers

Dick

Anyone would think they didn't WANT to get rid of their melodeons.

Melodeon Database

Cheers

Dick

Anyone would think they didn't WANT to get rid of their melodeons.

You're a cruel man. But I got rid of mine and bought a concertina...

Ian