Faoi Lán Cheoil

Guest Peter Laban

Guest Peter Laban

Faoi Lán Cheoil is series of programmes on TG4 in which 'celebrities' learn to play an instrument in Irish Traditional music. A description of it can be found here.

On tonight's program Dearbhla Lennon learns to play the concertina, Micheál Ó Raghallaigh, Tim Collins and other teach her. Kitty Hayes makes an appearance, filmed six months before her death.

The show can be watched live on www.TG4.tv and will be archived after broadcast for on-line viewers.

Guest Peter Laban

That's a pain isn't it. They want to get different camera angles so they record it four times. We've had to do that in the Crosses of Annagh. Also had a whole crew in the house once to film myself and Kitty in the kitchen and Dympna and Kitty in the room. Light, rail and cameras on trolleys everywhere. The soundman stopped the clock because it ticked to loud. It never worked since.

That's a pain isn't it. They want to get different camera angles so they record it four times. We've had to do that in the Crosses of Annagh. Also had a whole crew in the house once to film myself and Kitty in the kitchen and Dympna and Kitty in the room. Light, rail and cameras on trolleys everywhere. The soundman stopped the clock because it ticked to loud. It never worked since.

Peter,

I would love to watch this show and others after viewing the programing but I can't seem to get player to work. I get thrown over to a yahoo/quest site. How do I select the program I want in the archives to view and is there a special player that I have to download?

Help Me Please and Thank You,

Steve Maurice

Guest Peter Laban

If you go to TG4.tv you get a page with player and a stream of the live tv (as I write the program will start in an hour, the one before it about James Goodman is worth watching too). Archived programs come in the cartlann/archive section and will play when clicked. I have that playing now, the signal for the 'normal' broadcast is blocked by hills where I live.

Maybe it is browser dependent, I never had a problem in Firefox. You need to allow Javascript.

Edited by Peter Laban

You can only watch archived shows from TG4 if not resident in Ireland. The MAC address and Server for your internet must have numbers generated in Ireland. There is a work around if you have something know as a proxy server. It makes your computer appear to be in the location of the server. Now, I used to be able to record the archived shows from the website, but not in the past year. They have hidden the actual stream address ( as opposed to a video on youtube), and therefore no longer can be imported into the software. If you wait a few extra days, most of the videos from TG4 appear on youtube at this link

http://uk.youtube.com/user/TG4gaeilge

If anyone cracks the issue of the file location on the website Henrik Muller and I would love to have it. It has been an ongoing frustration for us, and a good topic discussed over pints.

It was a very interesting programme and wouldn't it be great for us English if our tradition was strong in this way. One can always dream.

Ian

Wouldn't it just , very interesting and enjoyed , will keep an eye on that channel in the future .

Mike

Yeah, hadn't caught these before and it struck a nice blend. I thought Micheál's observation on the differences between the 'dance culture' and the 'music culture' to be spot on. It's strange isn't it, how the two have moved apart given that they are inextricably linked. Our two daughters were involved for a year or so in local dance classes but the competitive pressure was really quite telling, even at 7 yrs age.

I think this was the best of the Faoi Lán Cheoil series on TG4. Dearbhla Lennon has the music running through her lovely bones and out her feet so it's no surprise to me that she can play. I'll bet Azalin has fallen totally in love with her.

Not the greatest quality, but at least it's there. Someone recorded it off the TV and posted part of it here with subtitles for us foreigners:

Irish language (Gaeilge)

TG4 on Youtube doesn't update very often.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I was able to pull up this program through a link I have to TV.4 On-line, which I bookmarked a while back when some wonderful person on this forum made a posting that allowed me to save the link. When I clicked the link it brought up a page on TV.4. On the top left their were some listing for different types of programs. If you click the one (second from the top) = Ceol- Cartlann, it will bring up a page with several archived music shows. The one Peter was referring to was the first listing. I haven't watched it yet but plan to soon. Other shows that I have watched in the past have been wonderful. --Steven

I was able to pull up this program through a link I have to TV.4 On-line, which I bookmarked a while back when some wonderful person on this forum made a posting that allowed me to save the link. When I clicked the link it brought up a page on TV.4. On the top left their were some listing for different types of programs. If you click the one (second from the top) = Ceol- Cartlann, it will bring up a page with several archived music shows. The one Peter was referring to was the first listing. I haven't watched it yet but plan to soon. Other shows that I have watched in the past have been wonderful. --Steven

Hi Steve

I forgot all about TG4 online :rolleyes: : http://www.tg4.tv/

Thanks for the reminder.

Good program. :D I watched the whole program. Didn't understand a word that was spoken. :blink: Thankful for subtitles. And it works in the US.

Thanks

Leo

I'm watching it right now. Great fun! I noticed that Dearbhla is playing an all-black Morse.

In case this is helpful to those on Macs: I can't get TG4 to work on Firefox, but Safari works well.

Can any Irish speakers provide a translation of "Faoi Lán Cheoil"?

Edited by Michael Reid

I believe the literal translation of it is fully under the music. faoi is under , and lán usually is full, and well "cheoil" being a lenition of ceol( music). Maith dom mo chuid Gaeilge bhriste.( excuse my broken Irish ).

Thanks, Lawrence! I had to look up "lenition"--that's a new word for me, and I found this Wikipedia article helpful--though way over my head. :D

Would you accept "immersed in the music" as a loose translation?

Now, on to pronounciation: is 'faoi' roughly pronounced 'fwee'? And does the ch soften the initial sound, realtive to 'ceol'?