For Sale in Ireland: Edgley Professional Model Anglo Concertina in C/G

Gan Ainm

Status as of 11th May 2009:

The concertina is now sold.

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest.

I am selling a brand new Edgley C/G Professional Model concertina with wooden ends, 7-fold bellows and angled reed pans, which arrived yesterday by courier from Frank Edgley. The reason I am selling it is that, while on Frank's waiting list, I was lucky enough to find and buy another concertina (Jeffries), which I have grown accustomed to, so I no longer need this one. I am based in Dublin, Ireland. All import duties and taxes have been paid. As per the rules of this forum, a donation will be made to concertina.net if it is sold as a result of this posting.

I will sell it for 2,500 Euro, plus postage/insurance - this is equivalent to my costs, plus a 2.5% margin.

This opportunity to get a brand new Edgley concertina right now, without having to join the waiting list, will be of particular interest to people living in Ireland, but will also be of interest to people in the UK and other EU countries, since import duties and taxes have already been paid - copies of receipts can be provided to the purchaser, if required. This is a really beautiful instrument with 7-fold bellows, angled reed pans and a lovely sound.

There is a section on Edgley Concertinas in the Buyer's Guide here on concertina.net. I hope that, between the Concertina.net Buyer's Guide and Frank's own website there should be enough initial information for prospective buyers. The specific model details are:

Brand new Professional Model Edgley concertina

Traditional wooden ends

Key of C/G

Standard Jeffries 30 button layout

7-fold bellows

Fallon case

Available immediately

Located in Dublin, Ireland

Terms: Payment in full prior to shipping. The buyer, whether from Ireland or abroad, may of course collect the concertina in person, in which case postage/insurance would not apply. If you collect the concertina in person and pay the above price in cash, I will refund 100 Euro to you as a "luck penny". For avoidance of doubt, this is not an auction and I reserve the sole right to determine whether to sell the instrument, who to sell it to and at what price.

Edited by Gan Ainm

I'm curious, how did you end up paying 2500 euros for the instrument, when it sells for about 2500$CAN or 1700 euros as far as I know....

I am happy to share the basis on which I calculated the sales price for the concertina, which was as follows:

Purchase Costs:

CAD 2425 - Professional Model Concertina

CAD 170 - Fallon Case

CAD 220 - Shipping & Insurance

CAD 2815 - Total Purchase Cost in Canadian Dollars, excluding tax

EUR 1851 - Total Purchase Cost in Euro, excluding tax

EUR 381 - Irish Value Added Tax (VAT), paid on delivery

EUR 55 - Irish Import Duty, paid on delivery

EUR 16 - Import Handling Fee, paid on delivery

EUR 452 - Total charges on delivery

EUR 2303 - Total Purchase Cost in Euro, including tax

Sales Costs:

EUR 50 - concertina.net advertising fee @ 2%

EUR 85 - PayPal fee at 3.4%

EUR 135 - Total Sales Costs

EUR 2438 - TOTAL COSTS

EUR 62 - margin @ 2.5%

EUR 2500 - Sales Price

The shipping companies calculate and collect VAT & Duty on behalf Revenue/Customs for deliveries originating outside of the EU and will not hand over the package until the bill is settled, so these same charges would apply to any similar instrument arriving in Ireland from outside the EU.

If the buyer pays me in cash, then the paypal fee does not apply and, in this case, I have offered a refund of 100 Euro, made up of the 85 Euro paypal fee, plus a token "luck penny".

Well, just a honnest suggestion. If you're in a bit of a rush, I suggest you drastically lower your price, as you'll probably find out yourself. I don't think it would sell at that price in normal circumstances, but with the current financial crisis, I really, really doubt it.

Of course, this concertina is worth the price - it is excellent value for such a high quality brand new instrument, compared to prices paid in Ireland and elsewhere for other instruments. Your market in Canada may be different, but here in Ireland there is a constant demand for high quality instruments and Frank's concertina certainly fits that description. I specifically said that this concertina would be of interest to EU residents. It has been legally imported into Ireland (and hence the EU), with all taxes and duties paid. The purchaser can walk confidently through customs on return from a future foreign trip, without having to worry about whether he/she will be stopped at customs, or receive a demand in the post from Customs/Revenue in years to come for backdated taxes on on a concertina they might have successfully managed to bring in "under the radar".

I am not in a hurry to sell and I will not sell such a wonderful instrument at a loss.

Edited by Gan Ainm

Don't get me wrong, I love Edgley concertinas. I own one, and still have one and will never sell it. I was just telling you as a matter of fact. I've sold a concertina recently on eBay and have been through the hard reality of the market.

I don't believe my comments can devalue your concertina, as the market will fix it's price, but I won't comment on this anymore as I understand it can be annoying when you're trying to sell.

The best of luck.

[The shipping companies calculate and collect VAT & Duty on behalf Revenue/Customs for deliveries originating outside of the EU and will not hand over the package until the bill is settled, so these same charges would apply to any similar instrument arriving in Ireland from outside the EU.

If the buyer pays me in cash, then the paypal fee does not apply and, in this case, I have offered a refund of 100 Euro, made up of the 85 Euro paypal fee, plus a token "luck penny".

I suspect you'll be lucky to recoup all those add-ons unless it's someone in Ireland who desperately wants an Edgley immedialely. Certainly not worth it for the North American market as we can get them much cheaper without these add-ons.

Good luck with it though. Edgleys are nice instruments.

The seller specifically said:

This opportunity to get a brand new Edgley concertina right now, without having to join the waiting list, will be of particular interest to people living in Ireland, but will also be of interest to people in the UK and other EU countries...

Gan Ainm isn't looking for a buyer in North America. Why would he? I don't think it's on to criticize him. He's being honest and open about everything. If you don't want to pay the price, then don't. But don't make it harder for him.

That said, I think his price is reasonable. Many a new concertina will sell on the open market for a lot more than if it were sold from the maker's shop after a year or more on a wait list. If you live in Ireland and want a very good, playable instrument then this is a fair price. I'm sure it's a much better player than some old Lachenals I've seen selling for more than Gan Ainm is asking for the Edgley.

I don't know Gan Ainm or even what his real name might be and I have no interest in this sale. Along with Azalin, I wish him the best of luck.

Gan Ainm isn't looking for a buyer in North America. Why would he? I don't think it's on to criticize him. He's being honest and open about everything. If you don't want to pay the price, then don't. But don't make it harder for him.

That said, I think his price is reasonable. Many a new concertina will sell on the open market for a lot more than if it were sold from the maker's shop after a year or more on a wait list. If you live in Ireland and want a very good, playable instrument then this is a fair price. I'm sure it's a much better player than some old Lachenals I've seen selling for more than Gan Ainm is asking for the Edgley.

I don't know Gan Ainm or even what his real name might be and I have no interest in this sale. Along with Azalin, I wish him the best of luck.

I'm not sure anyone was criticizing him. I do see that we've all wished him luck. You guys on the spot should have the best idea of the value of an Edgley in Ireland and you two think it's reasonable so enough said!

the OP himself mentioned that any buyer from anywhere, could come pick up the instrument and receive a "luck penny," so it is the OP himself who indicated this was not aimed only at potential irish buyers. and there is nothing unreasonable about pointing out that obviously, no one outside of europe is going to pay his VAT and all the rest of the add-ons. as the seller himself well knows, no one is "devaluing" frank edgley's work. what is being "devalued," is the idea of asking buyers outside of the EU to even consider this price. and all of this is more than obvious to any sensible reader.

QUOTE (Azalin @ Dec 17 2008, 05:41 PM) *

I love Edgley concertinas. I own one, and still have one and will never sell it.

Now that sentiment is exactly what makes these instruments so valuable. Regardless of how hard Frank works, there can only ever be a relatively small number of concertinas in the world, which have been hand-made by Frank Edgley and an even smaller number available for sale in any given period. The laws of supply and demand will push up the price of these instruments over time - I have absolutely no doubt about this. It is of course very clear that your earlier comments were indeed well-intentioned and that you did not in any way mean to devalue Frank's excellent reputation.

Edited by Gan Ainm

"The recession will have an impact on concertina sales, but not necessarily on the price" Gan Ainm

I think you might be deluding yourself slightly Gan Ainm. Try giving that logic to someone who bought a house in Ireland last year for 400,000 Euro and now sees the same house selling for less than 300,000 Euro!!

"The recession will have an impact on concertina sales, but not necessarily on the price" Gan Ainm

I think you might be deluding yourself slightly Gan Ainm. Try giving that logic to someone who bought a house in Ireland last year for 400,000 Euro and now sees the same house selling for less than 300,000 Euro!!

So after buying and selling, somebody else in Ireland may have 100.000 Euro more to spend and buy the concertina?