Sid

I was having a hilarious discussion with a good friend of mine at the George session,he is an ex pianist for a rock band and we were discussing how simple little things can break up a good playing(or other ) relationship.When you meet people in the pub for a session you never really get to know people properly and a great relationship can be ruined by stupid little things.We were booked for a weeks festival and I was teamed off with one of our band members. On the first night we were doing a dance which finished at twelve and by the time we had packed up the instruments ,talked to people etc it was getting on for one oclock.We arrived at the Hotel at about one thirty and went to our room,I was absolutely wacked,the journey had been long and the dance finished late so I was well and truly ready for bed.A quick wash and quick brush of the teeth and I was in bed.My band mate started cleaning his teeth and this ritual was to go on for nearly three quarters of an hour,gargling,brushing,gargling again it went on and on.A week of this and I had had enough.

Sid was a lovely bloke jovial,a brewer by trade who looked like a wooden beer barrel with legs arms and a smiley head and everybody loved him, but take him away on a weekend Morris dance ale and he was hated by everybody.His problem ,snoring, he could have snored for England and would have won.The windows rattled and in some buildings the walls would ring to his sound. The idea was to get to sleep before Sid but you never could, he would be asleep in seconds with us awake all night.

With Richard his problem was that he was paired up with someone who repeated word for word what he had just said,like an echo.

What has driven you crazy ?

Al

I was at a weeklong dance event once and had to share a cabin with 5 other women. I was getting over a cold at the beginning of the week, felt pretty crappy, and elected to sleep through some of my classes. One of my oh-so-helpful roommates tried to be helpful and WAKE ME UP for class.

She only tried it once, tho'...

Another time I was at a similar music event (although in a hotel) and my roommate actually moved out after the first night because I had the audacity to snap about her needing the television on full volume all night.

Which is why when I found out that the NHICS midwest facilities included private rooms I nearly cried with happiness...

It wasn't music related, but at a 5 day business conference my roomate annouced on day 2 that he was moving out because of my snoring. This after he stumbled in dead drunk at 2 AM, knocked over a chair, vomited loudly in the bathroom and then fell headfirst into the closet!

...at a 5 day business conference my roomate annouced on day 2 that he was moving out because of my snoring. This after he stumbled in dead drunk at 2 AM, knocked over a chair, vomited loudly in the bathroom and then fell headfirst into the closet!

Loud noises do tend to aggravate hangovers. B) (So do bright lights.)

The bus trip from hell. . . sitting next to a woman from the singing group I was in. A lovely woman to chat with once a week for 5 minutes, but for the 7 hour bus ride to Montreal SHE NEVER SHUT UP! And she is LOUD. I tried reading, sleeping, talking on the cell phone and none of it detered her from directing her horn at me.

We then had to share a room for one overnight. Thank GOD she didn't talk in her sleep or I would have committed Hari-Kari!

We then had to share a room for one overnight.  Thank GOD she didn't talk in her sleep or I would have committed Hari-Kari!

I would think murder would have been a much more productive alternative. Even a public service. :ph34r:

Good grief, Lisa, Jim is absolutely correct. You should have taken her out, never yourself.

I think DBowers has me beat.

I was at a music festival with 10 people in our section and 32 in the one right next to us. One woman snored so loudly that EVERYONE was taking pot shots at her. (with wadded up paper, etc.) She slept blithely through it all.

The next year a woman pushed my bed next to the person on my right. The left side person had brought her seeing eye dog with her. And it slept in my spot. The dog grumbled barked and wagged its tail into the night stand all night long. And who can grumble at a seeing eye dog.

I still think DBowers had it worse, to say nothing of Alan.

I am with Rhomylly, I wept for joy when I found out we are having private rooms.

Helen

Most tales of Morris-fests are unrepeatable.

I went on a morris weekend to Faithfull City (Worcester, UK), which that year, was sponsored by Scrumpy Jack which went down well. Someone in a nearby bed unpacked his case and got out a little cabinet with half a dozen drawers in it. Yes, they were full of different snuff.

These were dipped into during the night as well as daytime.

> how simple little things can break up a good playing(or other ) relationship

Twenty years ago, first big gig, a colonial festival (in costume), we were playing for a traditional American square dance. Lovely location on the Chesapeake Bay -- but mosqutoes the size of F-15s. Then, a hideous band fight and breakup -- on stage, in the middle of Petronella. Guitar player and his wife storm off, never to return. The rest of us, flailing away at the insects as well as our instruments, muddle through the rest of the evening's entertainment.

Finally, it was over, our employers for the evening took us to the campground they had selected for us -- which turned out to be a graveyard.

Thought seriously about giving up music for good.

Apparently I need to get out more, too, or play in public more, because I am having a hard time visualizing being able to pay attention to anything but the music long enough to fight with someone!

...my roomate annouced on day 2 that he was moving out because of my snoring.

My experience was just the opposite (it's amazing how many kinds of "opposite" there can be :) ):

Weekend gathering at a friend's house in the country, and we discovered there weren't enough beds for everybody to have their own. No big deal. M and I elected to share a double bed, both of us being interested only in sleep.

In the morning I woke up to find she was already gone from the bed, but then I discovered her sleeping on the living-room sofa. Why? In the middle of the night she was awakened by her own snoring, and fearful of disturbing me, she crept off to the sofa. Meanwhile, I was completely unaware of both the snoring and the shifting.