Suttner A-1 Quality

s2maur

In lieu of the current worldwide financial dilemma I am considering divesting myself from the more expensive instruments in my stable.

I have been contemplating purchasing a Suttner Concertina since I have owned several in the past 8 years and know them to be of good quality and tone however, I do not know anything about the A1 model. Anyone familiar with it? It is the least priced instrument in his catalogue and if it is as good of a quality instrument as his A2 and A2-32, both of which I have owned, then I would think that it would do well for both my playing and my pocket book.

Any personal comments or any direction toward any owner reviews of the A1 model would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I would suggest that you get on Wally Carroll's list instead of Suttner's for several reasons. I own or have owned one or more instruments from both makers and personally consider Wally's instruments every bit the equal of Suttner's -- if not better. My last instrument from Suttner was nicely made but the reeds were poorly adjusted and the reed set had to be adjusted so that in reeds would start uniformly. Also his bellows are far too stiff when new and take a long time to become more playable. Then there's the issue of waiting list time. Wally has recently updated his site to indicate that his production has increased and waiting time has dropped down to 2-1/2 years. I add to that the serious efforts that Wally is making in concertina design innovation to improve the reliability and serviceability of concertinas. And he's easily accessible here in the states and you won't have to deal with foreign exchange (which has expensive fees) and I think that your decision should be clear.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,

Ross Schlabach

Hi Steve,

I would suggest that you get on Wally Carroll's list instead of Suttner's for several reasons. I own or have owned one or more instruments from both makers and personally consider Wally's instruments every bit the equal of Suttner's -- if not better. My last instrument from Suttner was nicely made but the reeds were poorly adjusted and the reed set had to be adjusted so that in reeds would start uniformly. Also his bellows are far too stiff when new and take a long time to become more playable. Then there's the issue of waiting list time. Wally has recently updated his site to indicate that his production has increased and waiting time has dropped down to 2-1/2 years. I add to that the serious efforts that Wally is making in concertina design innovation to improve the reliability and serviceability of concertinas. And he's easily accessible here in the states and you won't have to deal with foreign exchange (which has expensive fees) and I think that your decision should be clear.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,

Ross Schlabach

Ross, thanks for your opinion and critique of the Suttner 'tinas. I have never had any reed adjustment problems (guess I was lucky). I have had three under my fingers over the last 8 years and loved everyone of the them. Only reason I sold any was that other people wanted them more and were willing to pay enough to coax me into selling.

I did own one of wally's earlier models (#7 I believe). I found his reed set and tuning was impeccable as well as his wood crafting and finishing. I also loved the long scale reeds. Very quick to respond. Personally, I like a little stiffer bellows. I found that with the Carroll I had to place my index or pinkie fingers down on the ends to stabilize the instrument when playing. The ends flopped a bit causing me to miss a button or two when playing whereas, the Suttner offered a more stable in and out flow. I guess this would be where personal and anatomical preferences come into the choice equation.

The best arguments you have made are the shorter wait time, the fall in the value of the US dollar internationally and the fact that it can be maintained here in the US as opposed to being flown over the pond in the cold cargo hold of a plane.

Thanks for your input Ross. I'll have to give this some more thought.

Steve Maurice

Fellow Midwest NHICS Student