Meno Tempo

Dirge

I'm not quite sure what I'm being told to do by this instruction. Help.

It seems from this site NAXOS

Meno

Meno (Italian: less) is used in musical directions to qualify other words as in meno mosso, with less movement.

that MENO means less - so MENO TEMPO means LESS SPEED??

regards

Jake

I'm not quite sure what I'm being told to do by this instruction. Help.

It seems from this site NAXOS

Meno

Meno (Italian: less) is used in musical directions to qualify other words as in meno mosso, with less movement.

regards

Jake

Hi Jake. I thought perhaps it was a direction to be 'looser' with the timing, you know, 'less time'. But if you take it as speed then it comes across as 'a bit slower'. Hence the puzzlement and the query.

regards

Jake

Ish.

Meno means within the same given speed (allegro for example) that you continue with noticeable less speed. But not dropping down to something like andante...

I think important is as well that you play a bit in a different speed without adjusting it like in a ritardando. You play a bit slower and when it says back to full speed - well, than it´s the original speed again.

Christian

regards

Jake

Ish.

Meno means within the same given speed (allegro for example) that you continue with noticeable less speed. But not dropping down to something like andante...

I think important is as well that you play a bit in a different speed without adjusting it like in a ritardando. You play a bit slower and when it says back to full speed - well, than it´s the original speed again.

Christian

There we go, a definitive answer. Thanks very much, Christian. It even gives me an excuse to play the difficult bit slower....