oh my god........

scoopet

anyone fancy breaking into manchester hobgoblin tonight..... :unsure:

check out their second hand english concertinas that have just come in...........Oh my god!

Hmm.... I'll be heading into town next week for the works Xmas do - maybe I'll stop by - it might be a better way to pass the time than the Xmas market in Albert Square.

They usually don't have much of a selection - Chris Algar's only just down the road and he probably gets most of the concertina business in the area .....

anyone fancy breaking into manchester hobgoblin tonight..... :unsure:

check out their second hand english concertinas that have just come in...........Oh my god!

Hmm.... I'll be heading into town next week for the works Xmas do - maybe I'll stop by - it might be a better way to pass the time than the Xmas market in Albert Square.

They usually don't have much of a selection - Chris Algar's only just down the road and he probably gets most of the concertina business in the area .....

Let's face it, Concertinas don't get any more beautiful than that ~ Wheatstone AeolaTenor/Baritone ... do they? B)

Let's face it, Concertinas don't get any more beautiful than that ~ Wheatstone AeolaTenor/Baritone ... do they? B)

Just a wee technical semantic quibble: I've never seen anything described as a "Tenor/Baritone" in the Wheatstone ledgers. I'll bet that if we knew the serial number, we'd find it listed as a "baritone-
treble
".

If it's a 64-button English that goes down to the baritone bottom, then its top note will be the same as on a 48-button treble.

As for "beautiful", try the same thing in amboyna or tortoise shell. I've seen the tortoise shell version. The owner said he's willing it to his daughter, but I haven't succeeded in getting an introduction. :( I've also seen one that looked very much like that, but the metal plating was gold. Nice! :)

Just a wee technical semantic quibble: I've never seen anything described as a "Tenor/Baritone" in the Wheatstone ledgers. I'll bet that if we knew the serial number, we'd find it listed as a "baritone-
treble
".

If it's a 64-button English that goes down to the baritone bottom, then its top note will be the same as on a 48-button treble.

As for "beautiful", try the same thing in amboyna or tortoise shell. I've seen the tortoise shell version. The owner said he's willing it to his daughter, but I haven't succeeded in getting an introduction. :( I've also seen one that looked very much like that, but the metal plating was gold. Nice! :)

Sorry Jim, but being perfectly honest, I personally find most of those ones with the exotic wood & gold buttons etc etc just a little over the top & quite frankly, far too gaudy for my taste.

This Baritone/Treble { I believe you ;) } is for me just spot on .... PURE CLASS!

Of course it'd be a boring old place if we all had exactly the same taste.

Cheers

Dick

A beauty, I'm with you Dick, this looks, to use a hackneyed expression - stunning. Amboyna and tortoiseshell are fine but do remind me of a type of OTT 1930's furniture which I don't particularly like. Somehow this just looks perfect.

Problem is if i got it, it would still sound like it was being played by a learner....

Simon

Edited by Simon H

Is it me or does it seem that the prices are calculated a bit more... moderately?

Compare this one

Christian

This looks well over-priced Christian.

Ian

I can tell you from personal experience that Chris 'Barleycorn' Algar's prices for concertinas, except perhaps some anglos, are far more reasonable than similar instruments sold by Hobgoblin. For one thing, Chris doesn't have a shop, so his overheads are considerably lower. I doubt whether any of these English concertinas, highlighted by Scoopet, will sell at the prices Hobgoblin are asking for them. For 3 years, they have been trying to sell a wooden-ended 48 key Lachenal Edeophone for £2,300. It doesn't play very well and, though not damaged in anyway, has a few cosmetic blemishes. Chris will sell you a similar instument for £1800, and in much nicer condition playing-wise and cosmetically. That's £500 cheaper! For that, you could have a holiday as well.

Chris

I remember having been to the Crawley shop about 10 or 15 years ago and compared to the actual prices they seemed to be very well calculated. The price for the concertina I wanted to buy at that time was actually far lower than these days.

So maybe the pricing will change a bit - I remember it being a good shop with choice and quality, shame the instruments stay there so long.

have a good week-end

Christian

Just a wee technical semantic quibble: I've never seen anything described as a "Tenor/Baritone" in the Wheatstone ledgers. I'll bet that if we knew the serial number, we'd find it listed as a "baritone-treble".[/indent]If it's a 64-button English that goes down to the baritone bottom, then its top note will be the same as on a 48-button treble.

I managed to have a look at these today, and tried this one labelled tenor/treble ebony ended 64 button aeola, and it is a 64 button extending the treble range downwards by 16 buttons to a low G that shakes spiders from the ceiling (in fact there's also the F below that stuck on the accidental)

Plays beautifully, and not as heavy as I expected for a big box (this is at least half as big again as a treble). One fluttery note down in basement somewhere)

I didn't have the time to try the metal ended one that they've labelled tenor/baritone , but the body was bigger than the one I tried so it should be a lower range. They also had a bass.

The miniature is cute (but not exactly useful)!

Apparently they got them in a while ago but were waiting for them all to be refurbished before putting them on display (though there were a couple of trebles that they did split off .. pity the weren't in to try !)

Fortunately for my finances I don't need or want a box that big or going to that low pitch ... so I managed to leave it in the shop.