30 key Jones Concertina

Jon C.

Hi,

I just won this concertina on eBay. I posted on the buy and sell by accident, it is better over here in Concertina History.

I have read a little about Jones, but there isn't much information on his concertinas.

This one has fairly new looking bellows, looks like it was hardly played. I don't know how it will be tuned yet.

Any ideas? What would be the age of the concertina?

I guess it was a low end model, with the mahogany ends and ivory buttons, but if it plays nice,that is all that matters.

jonesah2.jpg

jonesbellowsha7.jpg

Do you think these are the original bellows? They look like new, but I guess if it wasn't played much.

I like the label under the case:

generalstorelabelkx6.jpg

Guns, cycles, and musical instruments, who could ask for more?

Jon

Edited by Jon C.

Hi,

I just won this concertina on eBay. I posted on the buy and sell by accident, it is better over here in Concertina History.

I have read a little about Jones, but there isn't much information on his concertinas.

This one has fairly new looking bellows, looks like it was hardly played. I don't know how it will be tuned yet.

Any ideas? What would be the age of the concertina?

I guess it was a low end model, with the mahogany ends and ivory buttons, but if it plays nice,that is all that matters.

Do you think these are the original bellows? They look like new, but I guess if it wasn't played much.

I like the label under the case:

Guns, cycles, and musical instruments, who could ask for more?

Jon

Here it is, looks just like mine. It is listed as Class "A". I guess mine was just 7 pounds, where the rosewood was 11 pounds. Interesting that the silver metal ended is listed as the "special cheap version". So that would put the age at 1890?

Jones_advertisement.doc

Hi

Jones worked for Jabez Austin 1844,

-apprenticed to him in 1852, -did development on 'anglo-german' concertinas,

-1857 took over from Austin on Austin's death, -early 1860's received a 'large order' from Joseph Scates (Dublin) for 'Anglos',

-in 1886 an advert claims that he was the inventor of the 'anglo',

-1899 retired and left business to son's who were lesser business men, Jones bailed them out 1905,

- 1912 wrote 'Recollections of the English Concertina from 1844' (concertina.com)

it's worth looking at concertina.com

chris

edited to add - Jones did make 'English' concertina's as well as 'Anglo's

Edited by chris

Here it is, looks just like mine. It is listed as Class "A". I guess mine was just 7 pounds, where the rosewood was 11 pounds. Interesting that the silver metal ended is listed as the "special cheap version". So that would put the age at 1890?

I think it says that yours was 2 pounds 7 shillings, with the rosewood one with steel reeds at 2 pounds 11 shillings. Hard to say about the date: the ad means that the manufacture date could have been 1890, but it also could have been earlier or later depending on the start and end dates of this model.

I was watching this concertina on eBay too, but decided not to bid in the end -- so I'd be interested in hearing more about it (here or via pm or e-mail) after it arrives.

Daniel

...Hard to say about the date: the ad means that the manufacture date could have been 1890, but it also could have been earlier or later depending on the start and end dates of this model.

Note dealers label - 'cycles' came into fashion around 1885-90.

best wishes ..wes

Hi Jon

Nice concertina! I was watching this one too! I do have a 30 and 20 key Jones (pics of both are on this site), but can email if you'd like more details. As and when you have a look inside I would be interested to know the serial number.

All the best

Dave

Hi Jon

Nice concertina! I was watching this one too! I do have a 30 and 20 key Jones (pics of both are on this site), but can email if you'd like more details. As and when you have a look inside I would be interested to know the serial number.

All the best

Dave

My new "tina" won't come until next week... When it rains it pours, there is a 26 key Jones on eBay at the moment. (Not as clean as mine...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150314833690

I lke the free form reed work, it looks like he was just winging it when he cut the design! The concertina shows the reed pan. Are these the wide reed design? The reeds don't look very wide on the 26 key.

I will post more, when the Jones arrives. The Waiting game... :(

Jon

My new "tina" won't come until next week... When it rains it pours, there is a 26 key Jones on eBay at the moment. (Not as clean as mine...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=150314833690

Jon

I see the seller says he knows nothing about it but he still manages to describe it as 'superb and rare'.

Hi Jon

All the best

Dave

So the waiting finely ended, it came today! I already took it apart, besides a couple of cracks from shrinkage, the concertina looks new inside. It looks to have the wide reeds, no rust at all on the tounges. There were two of them rattling around inside the bellows, but they fit tightly back in the reed pan. There are a couple of holes on the corners of the bellows, but thebellows also look fairly new. I think it spent most of it's like sequestered in its original box. "98" is penciled in on the back of the fret board, could be made in 1898?

The serial number is 21,998.

Here is some photos of the guts. The missing key is on my desk back at my office...

fretboardct0.jpg

jonesreedpanuk9.jpg

jonesinsidereedpanhd5.jpg

actionboardtx7.jpg

Jon

Edited by Jon C.

It looks incredibly clean on the inside for an unrestored Anglo. Is one of the buttons missing? (The picture seemed to be one short.) Are the pads/seals/valves working well? What key is it in?

Daniel

So the waiting finely ended, it came today! I already took it apart, besides a couple of cracks from shrinkage, the concertina looks new inside. It looks to have the wide reeds, no rust at all on the tounges. There were two of them rattling around inside the bellows, but they fit tightly back in the reed pan. There are a couple of holes on the corners of the bellows, but thebellows also look fairly new. I think it spent most of it's like sequestered in its original box. "98" is penciled in on the back of the fret board, could be made in 1898?

It looks incredibly clean on the inside for an unrestored Anglo. Is one of the buttons missing? (The picture seemed to be one short.) Are the pads/seals/valves working well? What key is it in?

Daniel

Hi,

As I mentioned in the post the missing button was on my desk, I was to lazy to go get it for the photo shoot. I have it all reassembled now. The tina is in C/G, tuned a little sharp, not quite SA levels though. I will need to replace the pads and Valves, they look like the originals, but hard to say. The seals look tight, no warpage on the reed pan or action board. There are some corners worn on the bellows, looks like it had bounced around it it's box over the years. The bellows don't look worn from playing, just cracks on the corners, so I will have to repair them. But all in all it is pretty clean. Has a good strong tone, on the notes that play. It will need a little TLC here and there, but a lot less then my little Lachenal!

It was funny, there was a dead centapede stuck in one of the valves on the other side, when I pulled it out, so it sealed better.

Jon

Edited by Jon C.

The tina is in C/G, tuned a little sharp, not quite SA levels though.

Hi Jon,

Most of these I have seen have been in a beautiful unequal temperament based loosely around Society of Arts pitch (A = 446 -447). Mahogany Jones anglos with broad reeds are just about the sweetest anglos around for song accompaniment (especially if you find one in lower keys than a C/G), but despite the riveted action are a little slow in response to use for really fast, highly ornamented Irish-style dance tunes. I do like these concertinas and do play jigs and reels on them, but it can be a workout to get the reeds sounding quick enough. I have had a few Jones instruments that were superficially similar to these but with narrower reeds, and some of those happen to have incredibly well-made reeds of really great steel -- those are much faster players than the broad-reeded ones. Since the type you have is at its best for sweet, rich, chordal music and since yours has 30 rather than 26 keys, and especially since yours is so unmolested I hope you will not be too quick to retune it to concert pitch, equal temperament. IMO the best use for these instruments is to preserve the unique and beautiful sound of the chords they give, when the original tuning is not altered. Could be a superb singer's instrument.

PG

Hi Jon,

Most of these I have seen have been in a beautiful unequal temperament based loosely around Society of Arts pitch (A = 446 -447). Mahogany Jones anglos with broad reeds are just about the sweetest anglos around for song accompaniment (especially if you find one in lower keys than a C/G), but despite the riveted action are a little slow in response to use for really fast, highly ornamented Irish-style dance tunes. I do like these concertinas and do play jigs and reels on them, but it can be a workout to get the reeds sounding quick enough. I have had a few Jones instruments that were superficially similar to these but with narrower reeds, and some of those happen to have incredibly well-made reeds of really great steel -- those are much faster players than the broad-reeded ones. Since the type you have is at its best for sweet, rich, chordal music and since yours has 30 rather than 26 keys, and especially since yours is so unmolested I hope you will not be too quick to retune it to concert pitch, equal temperament. IMO the best use for these instruments is to preserve the unique and beautiful sound of the chords they give, when the original tuning is not altered. Could be a superb singer's instrument.

PG

Thanks for the input. I agree with your assessment on the concertina. I have it playing save a couple of high notes that need some adjustment. I like the tuning, and will leave it as it is. I don't think I will be playing any fast jigs or reels anytime soon, so this is the perfect box for me... I have a lot of antique flutes with the same tuning, which I like better then equal temperament instruments. (the accordion players just don't understand...) <_<

I only do the major modifications on the lower end instruments, like my poor little Lachenal.

One of my main reasons for getting the concertina was to use it as a template for making a new one.

Jon

Lovely!

I've got in my notes that the highest Jones serial number recorded by Wes is 27877. Mine is 26910 so from another thread I think we thought it was from around 1900, so I guess yours could be mid 1890's?

I bet it's going to sound great!

Dave

I guess there isn't a ledger floating around anywhere for the Jones? I jumped to the conclusion that the "98" was 1898, could be, but the serial number does end in 98, so it probably was just reference so they got the right ends on the box.

It is already a playing nice, even with a couple of holes in the bellows.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

A question on the key layout of this Jones. It has the standard Wheatstone layout, the only strange button is the upper row left, first button, instead of E/F it has a G#/F? Has anyone seen this layout, or was it custom?

Thanks,

Jon

...I've got in my notes that the highest Jones serial number recorded by Wes is 27877. Mine is 26910 so from another thread I think we thought it was from around 1900, so I guess yours could be mid 1890's?...

I didn't exactly record it - the report is in this thread. But by simple linear interpolation (sorry Geoff!!) that suggests 1892'ish. The 'cycles' dealer's label supports this kind of date.