PICA Volume 5 2008

Edited to add an apology to LDT, who, with her fondness for fashions of prior centuries, surely does know what handwritten letters are. :)

I've even got a little wax seal so I can seal my letters and a proper calligraphy pen.... :unsure:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now can someone tell me what LOL means?

Lots of Love? Love of Life? Little Operation in Lancashire? Lumps of Lead?

The internet community has corrupted this one.

Back in my university days, "LoL" was often used as an abbreviation for "Lots of Love" in (handwritten) letters. (LDT and others, look that up in your prehistory books. :lol:)

But now, alas, instead of a term of endearment, it has been degraded to a term of amusement... "laughing out loud" (or, as others have indicated, with some other conjugation of "laugh"). :(

Edited to add an apology to LDT, who, with her fondness for fashions of prior centuries, surely does know what handwritten letters are. :)

Hi Jim

I've not had Lots of Luck in my List of Links finding any reference to old stuff like that. Maybe it's just a Labor of Love to remember so far back in time in the Land of Legends? Sorry to have sunk into the Lowest of the Low, but I couldn't help myself.

Thanks

Language Offending Leo

Edited by Leo

Perhaps someone could explain to those of us who do not share the irritating obsession for abbreviation what the initials PICA stand for.

Please Increase Concertina Awareness

:rolleyes:

Concertinas are made of win. lol!

Some of these messages need a book of instructions to accompany them.

I'm not quite sure exactly what it means myself only that it has the sense of 'cool' or 'fantastic' and other similar phrases....On another site where I put my artwork various people have expressed their like of a piece by saying its made of win.

I'm not quite sure exactly what it means myself only that it has the sense of 'cool' or 'fantastic' and other similar phrases....On another site where I put my artwork various people have expressed their like of a piece by saying its made of win.

I feel far more comfortable now that I know that neither of us know what you mean !

I feel far more comfortable now that I know that neither of us know what you mean !

Found the 'dictionary' definition

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=made+of+win

should help you with all the other new words around.

Now I know what I want from Father Christmas but will he know what I'm talking about ?

Now I know what I want from Father Christmas but will he know what I'm talking about ?

Only one way to find out..... try him.

But keep in mind that saying, "You win some, and you lose some."

(To which Charlie Brown replied, "Gee, that'd be nice! :(")

I would guess this is of hacker origin (where, as ever, I use the word hacker in its original meaning). Old time hackers divided the world into winners and lusers (sic).

Chris

FOLKS: since it was my review of English International and my specific comments about Harry Dunn that set off this thread. . . . .i should add my 6.5 cents. . . . . .

1. i will agree to disagree with Alan. . . . .i still think that Harry Dunn's performance of the Regondi piece is a TRAVESTY. . . .nothing less than that. . . .it makes a mockery out of the music. . . . . .but it is of real historical interest, since it shows the rather dismal state into which the victorian tradition fell until douglas rogers had both the courage and the virtuosity to bring it to life again. . . . ..otherwise, i'll stand by my comments about English International as a whole: IT'S TERRIFIC. . . ..A MAJOR CONTRIBUTION to our understanding of the English concertina................

2. thank you to those who had nice things to say about PICA. . . . . . .and the credit should be split three ways, with Roger and Jon playing every bit as important a role as i do (or don't). . . . ..

3. though i don't remember just who it was, one person said that it (PICA) was a bit boring and something or other. . . . . .may i ask that person to be just a bit more specific. . . . .and perhaps some constructive comments. . . .we can make it just a bit livelier. . . . . .we could include a limerick in each issue:

THERE WAS A FINE BROOKLYN-BRED COW,

WHO FELL DEEPLY IN LOVE WITH A SOW;

AND WHILE INTERBREEDING,

THEY KEPT RIGHT ON EATING,

WHICH MADE THOSE AROUND THEM SAY "WOW"

Allan

Edited by allan atlas