OT: the weather

LDT

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope the photographer didn't freeze to death. :unsure: All in the name of "art".

Nope..had a nice cup of tea waiting inside....

Snow! That's not snow. This is SNOW!

post-1882-1233655738.jpg

<gets out magnifying glass>Its very small</gets out magnifying glass>

Shock horror! Snow in Southern England kept thousands ( 1 in 5) off work today, it showed people on TV with snow almost up to the tops of their training shoes! Must have been 2 mm deep! Worst i.e. First for 18 years.

Mike

Snow what!!?? London ground to a halt. Mayor Boris couldn't keep the buses running, so the laid up drivers amused themselves by having snowball fights with each other. Would you believe that there are some young children who have never seen snow in England because we have had so many years of mild winters. I used to sledge on Hampstead Heath in the good old days but I sold my toboggan many years ago in disgust! Up here in Newcastle, where I am temporarily residing, they are used to such adverse weather conditions. All the roads had been properly gritted in advance (which they weren't in London, despite the accurate forecast) and all transport and the city were functioning normally except for a few schools which were closed.

Chris

Shock horror! Snow in Southern England kept thousands ( 1 in 5) off work today, it showed people on TV with snow almost up to the tops of their training shoes! Must have been 2 mm deep! Worst i.e. First for 18 years.

Mike

Snow what!!?? London ground to a halt. Mayor Boris couldn't keep the buses running, so the laid up drivers amused themselves by having snowball fights with each other. Would you believe that there are some young children who have never seen snow in England because we have had so many years of mild winters. I used to sledge on Hampstead Heath in the good old days but I sold my toboggan many years ago in disgust! Up here in Newcastle, where I am temporarily residing, they are used to such adverse weather conditions. All the roads had been properly gritted in advance (which they weren't in London, despite the accurate forecast) and all transport and the city were functioning normally except for a few schools which were closed.

Chris

I like everything shutting down when it snows....it means there's a chance of getting a day off and being able to play in the snow..

It only ever lasts a day maximum anyway...usually only till lunchtime for me.

• 4 months later...
I want a snowball fight.

Nearly seven months on, here in southern England we have the other problem :) :) .

This week the temperatures have been in the mid 80's (30 Celcius in "new money"). I don't do cold weather, and love it when the sun is out. When I was racing my bike, my fastest time was achieved in similar temperatures. Indeed, on the August Sunday, back in 2003, when the temperature touched 100 degrees, I clocked up 70+ miles on the bike.

However, some people can't stand the heat, and go to extreme measures to cool off!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1370842

Is it ok to take my concertina out in this heat?

It´s ok, as long as it´s not sitting unused directly in the sun. I played yesterday, not problem at all - apart from sweaty fingers ;)

Christian

Mine plays fine when it's hot but dislikes the cold. That's the opposite of me.

Ian