OT: the weather

LDT

Look, here's a nice warm pic of Napier today to remind you of summer.

Those aren't the municipal Xmas trees; they're Norfolk Island pines. They grow well here.

Wow! And they let English people come and live there?

If you ask very nicely.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luckily, although it gets cold enough for swimming pools to freeze over if they're uncovered, we very rarely get snow in this little corner of the world. Hoorah! :)

Bah humbug. The pool has been frozen over for most of the week, and today we had SNOW. Not as bad as Marseille, though, where they closed the airport.

We had just enough to build a mutant snow-frog in the garden.

Yeah they always show snow on the news and I'm thinking its not fair. :(

I live in one of the dryest parts of the country apparently...ironic as were by the sea..well estuary really.

Last snow was I think febuary 2007 and it was a light dusting like powder on a donut..hardly anything.

Dry? I spent xmas in the UK and indeed you don't know what's dry weather... The cold in my country gets into your bones and doesn't get out till spring... :blink:

About snow, I can see the snow covered mountains at the north of Madrid county from my home, but my wife is not very found of it, pity... there must be 2 or 3 feet of snow, plenty of skying and sledging people.

BTW, happy new year :P

Do you people live inside a fridge or something?

Here's a sample of our English winter weather, and gives a clue as to why the Romans eventually went home:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUcm55S3vg&...re=channel_page

It puts me in mind of The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town.

Please note that the Romans never even tried to take over Ireland :P

London fog? Pah! Belfast in the mid-'60s was the place for fog. Coal-burning fires and sea-fog coming in from the North Channel gave me one of my most mystic experiences on a November evening on the River Lagan. I was in a single-seater rowing skiff (don't ask me why!) and with the fog and the darkness I could see neither the ends of the boat nor the blades of my sculls. The water at my side was an invisible black. It was like being suspended between Heaven and Earth. I knew the river intimately - spent at least 2 hours a day rowing up and down it - but I could only find my way by feeling for the bank with my scull blade, and shot the bridges with the aid of the vague yellow patches in the grey nothingness that were the street lamps over the piers of the bridges. I could hear the arches of the bridges, but could not see them.

Fog? Either you like it or you don't. At least it keeps you safe from Romans ... :lol:

Cheers,

John

I remember my friends's father skillfully piloting our boat through pea-soup fog from the coast of Friendship Maine through the Cranberry Isles - all the while listening for the sound of the marker buoys and simply knowing from experience where all the submerged rocks were. Remember On Golden Pond? Mike

• 4 weeks later...
I want a snowball fight.

Wish granted?

Croydon Council provides snow storage units in a range of sizes, shapes, and colours.

lol! brilliant.

Apparently the weather's meant to stick like this all week - and it's certainly looking good, still snowing now halfway through the day!

yeah..usually its melted my midday.

I think this little fella needs a concertina to play....

post-6972-1233578251_thumb.jpg

Concertina and snow! Sadly, the actual flakes don't really show up but it's actually snowing quite hard... They might have shown up better if not taken through a window but, similarly, I don't think I'd want to bring my concertina out in the snow :P.

post-7186-1233581309_thumb.jpg

Concertina and snow! Sadly, the actual flakes don't really show up but it's actually snowing quite hard... They might have shown up better if not taken through a window but, similarly, I don't think I'd want to bring my concertina out in the snow :P.

Concertinas and snow. How much romance can this one man take? They are both lovely things in my eyes.

Ian

post-1710-1233583217_thumb.jpg

Shock horror! Snow in Southern England kept thousands ( 1 in 5) off work today, it showed people on TV with snow almost up to the tops of their training shoes! Must have been 2 mm deep! Worst i.e. First for 18 years.

I have about eight inches in my garden; probably the most snow that I've seen for about 30 years! In 1991, I was living in Scotland, so missed the last lot.

Regards,

Peter.