OT: the weather

LDT

Cross Country Skiing is great. It's one of the reasons that I ended up here in Sweden.

Mind you with the climate change we are having there's less and less snow. I've not been skiing for the past two years !!

Would still go if the snow was on my doorstep as it used to be 30 years ago.

Have skis, but won't travel to ski. Having been so spoilt in the past.

Chas

I don't know about your part of the world but over here this is how it works... the snow comes and goes in cycles (not the cycles you mentioned before) It goes in 20ish year cycles. We will hove good amounts of snow for 20ish years, one year it will just go away, then we will get no snow for 20ish years. Last year was the first year of the snowy part of the cycle.

I hope that made sense, an old farmer told me that once. As far as I can tell it's true...my brother is 30 now and the last time he remembers having snow for Christmas was when he was around 10 years old.

New England weather is crazy anyway, we had floods go through our area the year before last and we had a tornado this summer(first one in 10 years I think).

honestly a tornado in New Hampshire.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No.

There was a Canal Convention here in 2006. Four narrow boats came over from England to take part.

I joined up with them when they came past where I live. Played on board as they went through a couple of locks.

It took them several month's to complete the trip. The Dalsland canal is quite long. 60 odd miles. I think. Then there was the Göta canal back and forth from Gothenborg as well. Another 60 odd miles. And of course they had to navigate part of the lake Vanern - which is Europe's third largest.

One of the boats had no engine. It was however, full of promotional "London Pride". :o They didn't take any back with them.

post-1882-1228661905_thumb.jpg post-1882-1228661846_thumb.jpg

Well, it was above freezing when I had to play outside on Friday night and the concertinas took no harm, but When we tried to get to the farmhouse on Saturday morning we had to unload and carry things for the final 300 yards as the car got stuck in a snow drift.

It broke through a layer of ice into a puddle beneath and couldn't get any grip. It wouldn't have got much further anyway as there was nearly 3 feet of snow on one corner. After about an hour of digging we got it back out to a safer place about 1/2 a mile away. Future plans are to look into the possibility of creating a snow-fence of bushes to protect the lane from drifts.

We thought that we would be better able to go to some of the Sheffield carols in pubs events, but it is too treacherous trying to walk 1/2 a mile up hill on ice by moonlight to get back home afterwards!

It is raining here this morning so I'm hoping that the snow upon the hills is starting to thaw and not re-feezing into ice-sheets at night.

Robin Madge.

I hate cold weather. Give me 80+ degrees, and I'm happy!

Is that Fahrenheit, or Centigrade?
B)

Centigrade sounds a bit "retro". I will settle for good old Fahrenheit; at least we know where we stand with "proper" units of measurement!

B****y freezing again today! I have been out filming steam excursions (well; it beats sitting in front of a computer all day!):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gXl2wZTMHDI

:) :) :)

B)

Centigrade sounds a bit "retro". I will settle for good old Fahrenheit; at least we know where we stand with "proper" units of measurement!

B****y freezing again today! I have been out filming steam excursions (well; it beats sitting in front of a computer all day!):

That is very interesting shot. Is this a regular route? Steam? And where is pollution Police? Here in SF we have one in place and I voted "Yes" on it. Depending on weather condition a commitee decides on whether to allow burning wood in fireplaces or not.

B)

That is very interesting shot. Is this a regular route? Steam? And where is pollution Police? Here in SF we have one in place and I voted "Yes" on it. Depending on weather condition a commitee decides on whether to allow burning wood in fireplaces or not.

No. I'm certain that "preserved steam" has an exemption when it comes to pollution.

In the whole of the UK, there are about 5/10 steam excursions per week, on average. In the South (where more people live!) there is the highest proportion. The most regular routes are used about once per month, although near London some lines are more frequently used until the various routes diverge.

The last time that I recall a steam excursion passing through Mortlake was in April this year. However, yesterday, after filming the excursion hauled by Sir Lamiel, I had time for a sandwich, and coffee, before:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kq85d50gtf0

Robin, have you considered golf shoes? They're the urbanites crampons.

NO ! No ! No! Spikes on Icy pavements. Quickest way to get to hospital!

The "Soft Spikes" as they are called. Even worse as they are semi-soft plastic.

Well I managed to drive over the remains of the last snow drift on Saturday afternoon to reach the farm and found that the postman had been there before me! :o

He must have walked though as there were no vehicle tracks. :huh:

I think that I shall have to look into getting a four-wheel drive vehicle for emergencies, but it is very inspirational and so peaceful up there; we haven't taken the concertinas there yet :P

Robin Madge

I think that I shall have to look into getting a four-wheel drive vehicle for emergencies, but it is very inspirational and so peaceful up there; we haven't taken the concertinas there yet :P

I think good internet access and several weeks supply of food will be essential during the worst of the winter. At least you'll be able to tell us which tunes you are working on, and put up pictures of snow scenes.

Regards,

Peter.

Do you people live inside a fridge or something? Winter = fingers won't slip off the keys, provided the wind keeps up. As soon as the wind is blocked the sweating starts & fingers will slide off the keys.

Ahh, the benefits of the equatorial life. I even own a flannel shirt & a pair of jeans, to wear in case winter ever turns cold.

Winter = fingers won't slip off the keys, provided the wind keeps up. As soon as the wind is blocked the sweating starts & fingers will slide off the keys.

Winter = fingers can't even feel where the keys are! :(

Winter = fingers won't slip off the keys, provided the wind keeps up. As soon as the wind is blocked the sweating starts & fingers will slide off the keys.

Winter = fingers can't even feel where the keys are! :(

I could also put this in the posture thread but to stop from slouching and keep warm I've been sitting on a cushion on the floor and leaning up against the radiator when I practice.

I think good internet access and several weeks supply of food will be essential during the worst of the winter. At least you'll be able to tell us which tunes you are working on, and put up pictures of snow scenes.

Well, that would depend upon the most crucial essential: electricity. Without that almost nothing works. Computers and communications become the least of it. Here in New England most houses are heated with furnaces and boilers that rely electricity to operate. No electricity = no heat. In my case I have a wood stove so I'll be warm... as my basement fills up with cold water due to the sump pump not being able to work. I know. It's done that 4 times since I've owned this house (actually only fills to 14". I guess that's the water table limit around here).

And speaking of power outages, we just had one. An ice storm came though last Thursday night, hard on the heels of several days of near zero F temps and took out the power for hundreds of thousands of people. Even today, three days later, there are people without power restored. Check out some of the ice storm photos

-- Rich --