OT: the weather

LDT

Well, I'm off into the East Lancashire Pennines this afternoon to deliver an estate car load of assorted items to a farm house at the 1000' level. The snow line was at about 600' yesterday afternoon before the real stuff arrived so although it is thawing now I expect there will be some left. It was reported as between 8-12 inches earlier today.

You do get problems with concertinas when the temperature changes drastically, I've got one note in particular on my G/D where the reed seems to move sideways slightly during the temperature cycle. Must be something to do with the different coefficients of expansion between brass and steel and an uneven clamping pressure.

Robin Madge

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You do get problems with concertinas when the temperature changes drastically, I've got one note in particular on my G/D where the reed seems to move sideways slightly during the temperature cycle. Must be something to do with the different coefficients of expansion between brass and steel and an uneven clamping pressure.

surely if your house has central heating there would be no trouble with the cold tempretures? :huh:

surely if your house has central heating there would be no trouble with the cold tempretures? :huh:

I suspect that Robin is thinking in terms of the "Morris" at this time of year; not fun for either musicians, or concertinas. :(

At least I won't be playing on Boxing Day, this year!

Yes Peter,

The house may be heated but the car takes a while to heat up on the way to practices/events. Also I'm playing outside tomorrow night in Poulton for Singleton Cloggers and at Garstang Christmas fair for John o' Gaunt Morris on 16th. Then there's a wassail or two in January...

The farm house I'm going to later is supposed to be our retirement home eventually. It has a field that I'm told is good for sledging :rolleyes:

Robin Madge

The farm house I'm going to later is supposed to be our retirement home eventually. It has a field that I'm told is good for sledging :rolleyes:

Well; if it's anywhere near Ramsbottom, steer clear of "The Rake"!!! :rolleyes:

I rode in the 1999 National Championship Hill Climb on that hill, and it has a maximum gradient of 1:4.8 (21%). I dread to think how fast you could sledge down the hill, and I don't think there's a very big gap between houses where two roads join. :o

It's about 6-8 miles from there, but further northand east and higher up.

Ramsbottom is down in the valley, which is halfway to being a gorge. Because of the convex profile of the hill sides it means that we are on a flatter bit, on a sort of shelf about 2/3 of the way up, in real moorland country. Great sunsets from there as well!

Robin Madge

Scandinavia is the place for real snow. We just had our first bout in Stockholm 2 weeks ago.

However where I am on the west coast, well I was out on the golf course last Wednesday. Today, a week later we had the first, well a whie frost was all it was.

It can look like this though

post-1882-1228434138_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for my winter photos.

Chas

Ah! Here they are. This is the Dalsland canal at Håverud Jan. 1st a couple of years ago

post-1882-1228434756_thumb.jpg post-1882-1228434788_thumb.jpg

Looking South and of course Looking North

Brrrr. Don't remind me.

Chas

Edited to add same photo of what it's like in the summer

post-1882-1228639849_thumb.jpg post-1882-1228640072_thumb.jpg

We had a canal convention here in 2006 I think it was and four narrow boats came over from England I got a ride on one 'cos I had my "Lach" with me. :blink: :blink:

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Ah! Here they are. This is the Dalsland canal at Håverud Jan. 1st a couple of years ago

post-1882-1228434756_thumb.jpg post-1882-1228434788_thumb.jpg

Looking South and of course Looking North

Brrrr. Don't remind me.

Chas

Looks great. It's the real Swedish winters that I miss from my time living in Sweden.

Out of the cold weather, into the hot sauna, followed by a beer or two. :P

Steve

It must be strange not getting much snow.

If you have never gone sledding You must never have gone cross-country skiing, or ice fishing? Never tapped maple trees in snowshoes? poor deprived person.

At least you don't have to listen to the snowmobiles over in the UK...do you?

The thing to worry about with sledding are the barbed wire fences.

If you have never gone sledding You must never have gone cross-country skiing, or ice fishing? Never tapped maple trees in snowshoes? poor deprived person.

Yes.

I have seen someone with cross-country skis, though! Many years ago, we did have a "heavy" fall of snow, and most people were unable to get into work. I lived just two miles from the office, so was able to walk in (almost) as normal. One of my colleagues came in on skis. I took a photo of him, and suggested that I might submit it to Nestlé News. Sadly, he would not agree. Shame, it would have made a good story.

Well, I didn't get my cargo delivered to the farmhouse yesterday afternoon. I got within half a mile then had to turn back as I couldn't get up the final lane. I did meet someone who was trying to come down it witha 4x4 and they had given up with that! I hadn't skidded at all up to that point either, it was just a section that had drifted too deep. I'll try again on the weekend.

Robin Madge

Yes.

I have seen someone with cross-country skis, though! Many years ago, we did have a "heavy" fall of snow, and most people were unable to get into work. I lived just two miles from the office, so was able to walk in (almost) as normal. One of my colleagues came in on skis. I took a photo of him, and suggested that I might submit it to Nestlé News. Sadly, he would not agree. Shame, it would have made a good story.

It is with disbelief and fright that I am thinking about NOT going to our traditional Christmas Cross Country Skiing Week up in the Mountains.

It just tells you: "Don't take anything for granted".

Cross Country Skiing is great. It's one of the reasons that I ended up here in Sweden.

Peter you like cycling. well it's kind of like that. Great to get out for the day.

Mind you with the climate change we are having there's less and less snow. I've not been skiing for the past two years !!

Would still go if the snow was on my doorstep as it used to be 30 years ago.

Have skis, but won't travel to ski. Having been so spoilt in the past.

Chas

Peter you like cycling. well it's kind of like that. Great to get out for the day.

Hi Chas,

I don't think I've ever said that I like cycling; it's just something that I did for 10 years. No; I'm competetive, and realised that I was quite good at cycling.

By the way; whilst I think that snow looks pretty, and changes a landscape completely, I hate cold weather. Give me 80+ degrees, and I'm happy!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Chas,

I don't think I've ever said that I like cycling; it's just something that I did for 10 years. No; I'm competetive, and realised that I was quite good at cycling.

By the way; whilst I think that snow looks pretty, and changes a landscape completely, I hate cold weather. Give me 80+ degrees, and I'm happy!

Regards,

Peter.

Competitive and didn't like it. Could be "golden balls"Armstrong. Going for number eight. :huh:

hate cold weather. Give me 80+ degrees, and I'm happy!

Could make a cup of coffee with snow that's 80+degrees. ;)

Chas