OT: the weather

LDT

(OT means Off Topic for those wondering)

So apparently its supposed to snow in the UK tonight....

seems to me round here its just gonna be cold an icy..no snow again. :(

I want a snowball fight.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want a snowball fight.

Maybe we can have a "virtual" one. :)

My last "real" one was up a mountain, in Austria, on the 1st June 1984, when you were ....... Since then, I have lobbed one at a Police car; the occupants were not impressed! :rolleyes:

I was looking at a video on the BBC news site, this morning. There was snow everywhere "up North", and the kids, large and small, were out on their sledges (sleds for our American cousins). This is something I've always wanted to do. Sadly; there is seldom much snow in this part of England, and it's a bit flat. :(

Edited by PeterT

Maybe we can have a "vitual" one. :)

I think you mean virtual. ;)

My last "real" one was up a mountain, in Austria, on the 1st June 1984, when you were .......

erm..not born yet. :huh:

I was looking at a video on the BBC news site, this morning. There was snow everywhere "up North", and the kids, large and small, were out on their sledges (sleds for our American cousins). This is something I've always wanted to do. Sadly; there is seldom much snow in this part of England, and it's a bit flat. :(

Yeah they always show snow on the news and I'm thinking its not fair. :(

I live in one of the dryest parts of the country apparently...ironic as were by the sea..well estuary really.

Last snow was I think febuary 2007 and it was a light dusting like powder on a donut..hardly anything.

I want a snowball fight.

Maybe we can have a "virtual" one. :)

My last "real" one was up a mountain, in Austria, on the 1st June 1984, when you were ....... Since then, I have lobbed one at a Police car; the occupants were not impressed! :rolleyes:

Did I read that right? You. have. never. gone . sledding.?

Wow, sledding is what everyone here does as soon as we have any amount of snow! Of course, living in the foothills helps, as does the fact that I live right next door to a very long and incredibly steep hill that seems to have been made for the sole purpose of sledding down.

As far back as I remember winter means waiting for snow and then going out sledding. At night is the best, the light is really pretty and blue and you go down the hill at warp speed into nothing but blackness until you're out of the woods and then it's a lattice of shadows; and I'm getting rather carried away, aren't I?

Suffice it to say that sledding is great fun, and so is wiping out. Even when the snow has a inch thick rind of ice on top (just that much faster!)--but then you have to know how to fall, else you end up with lots of bruises and cuts....not pleasant.

We haven't gotten any snow (worth mentioning) this year yet, but I'm looking forward to some in Wisconsin over Christmas. I talked to my grandma there a little bit ago and she was just getting ready to walk to church......because there was to much snow to drive in.

Hmm, but to pull this back (a little) to the reason this forum is here in the first place, the best thing to do after beating the heck out of yourself sledding (and running back up the hill) is to go inside, curl up with a mug of tea/cocoa/cider/other warm beverage at hand and play your concertina.....right? ;)

Stinking hot here. My fingers continually slipp off the buttons, due to sweat. Quite concerned that perhaps the bellows are soaking up the sweat from the top of my thighs.

Just sitting indoors playing causes sweat to fall in drops from the armpits, usually landing on my ribs, one every few seconds.

What is snow ;-)? Is it possible to play concertina whilst riding in a sledge? What happens to concerinas when the temperature gets below 15deg C? Do they seize up or something?

Does the bulky clothing that presumably has to be worn in such climes impede the player's ability to control the bellows?

Cold cold cold here in Montpellier-sur-Med, with the temperature right now about zero degrees.

However, I got the chimney swept yesterday, so if the house goes up in flames at least I have my clean-chimney certificate for insurance purposes. :rolleyes:

Luckily, although it gets cold enough for swimming pools to freeze over if they're uncovered, we very rarely get snow in this little corner of the world. Hoorah! :)

I live up a hill in Ashland, Oregon. Right now we've got fog in the lowlands and sunshine at the top of the hills. We usually get several days of snow every winter. What I love best about the snow is how it completely changes the geography. It's like rearranging your room........a whole new perspective on the great outdoors. I also love how quiet the snow is, in contrast to rain. Rain makes a lot of noise on my roof. But the snow......it just floats down. There are thousands of snowflakes falling, but if you can find one, just one, to focus on, you can follow it all the way down to the ground. And no two snowflakes are alike! It's amazing.

But, I truly don't care for the cold. I was just thinking I should try to go south......e.g. to LA where it is warmer and the sun is out.

Yvonne

(OT means Off Topic for those wondering)

So apparently its supposed to snow in the UK tonight....

seems to me round here its just gonna be cold an icy..no snow again. :(

I want a snowball fight.

Been sunny and hot here in Los Angeles. It did get in the 60's today, time to get out the cold weather gear... :rolleyes:

However, I got the chimney swept yesterday, so if the house goes up in flames at least I have my clean-chimney certificate for insurance purposes. :rolleyes:

Did the sweep burst into song and dance? "Chim-chiminy-chim-chim cheri....I sweep is as lucky as lucky can be..."

No snow just very wet horrible rain here. :(

Did I read that right? You. have. never. gone . sledding.?

Never. Still; maybe there's enough time ahead! :unsure:

Hmm, but to pull this back (a little) to the reason this forum is here in the first place, the best thing to do after beating the heck out of yourself sledding (and running back up the hill) is to go inside, curl up with a mug of tea/cocoa/cider/other warm beverage at hand and play your concertina.....right? ;)

I'll have to take your word for it! :)

Did the sweep burst into song and dance? "Chim-chiminy-chim-chim cheri....I sweep is as lucky as lucky can be..."

That was just a film. ;)

More likely he was singing:

http://www.thecopperfamily.com/songs/coppersongs/sweep.html

...... only in French! :o

That was just a film. ;)

And there I was thinking it was a gritty documentary. :P ;)

its cold but sunny here in somerset. But not yet ready for the REAL fire so dick van dyke can wait a few days. Although I rather be here than "up north". (only because of the weather, I must add).