confusion reigns (rains?)

Note this product. And they've made "Squeezebox" a trademark, no less! :angry:

Well, at least they're not calling it a "Triumph"... not yet, anyway. :unsure:

But to add to the confusion, this review is on the web site reviews.cnet.com. :o

How does that as a name describe the item? Do you squeeze it? Although I suppose you can play tunes on it....

It looks like they've used it on other products:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers...&cl=roeu,en

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers...07&cl=US,EN

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/54/4098&cl=us,en

I suspect they will be unable to enforce the trademark because it would be covered under a generic name. A generic word is one used to refer to a class or category of product or service. A generic name can not be protected or registered as a trademark or service mark. For instance you cannot get a trademark name in the US for telephone or automobile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genericized_trademark

Logitech is headquartered in Switzerland. I wonder where the trademark is registered.

But I do like the idea of them stopping in here for a visit.

Thanks

Leo

TM = Totally Meaningless

® on the other hand means they've registered it, and that the name has passed trademark scrutiny.

I doubt that the word 'Squeezebox' would get through trademark scrutiny since it is already in general use.

TM is frequently used to allow competition to believe that they have some intellectual property rights (IPR).

However the word 'Squeezebox' incorporated into a graphic logo can be trademarked since this will be a unique graphic representation of the word.

Steve

As far as I know one has to list all prior art on the patent and trademark application. "Squeezebox" and "duet" is prior art for instruments, but probably not for use on any electronic music playing device. One must read the trademark certificate to see exactly what is covered and if anyone has access to that knowledge it will be very helpfull. My guess is that you must still be able to use those names for things other than electronic music players. "Band aid" might be reserved for wound dressings but allowable on a device for musicians in a band setting.

I wonder if one could challenge the trademark? Anyone a lawyer?

As far as I know one has to list all prior art on the patent and trademark application. "Squeezebox" and "duet" is prior art for instruments, but probably not for use on any electronic music playing device. One must read the trademark certificate to see exactly what is covered and if anyone has access to that knowledge it will be very helpfull. My guess is that you must still be able to use those names for things other than electronic music players. "Band aid" might be reserved for wound dressings but allowable on a device for musicians in a band setting.

I wonder if one could challenge the trademark? Anyone a lawyer?

Don´t hang me, I am not a lawer. I know that it depends on the country you are in. So if we really would like to take action, we could do that a lot of times in the many countries represented here.

Overhere it's like, it is not allowed to make a similar thing, give it exactly the same name and try to sell it as the `squeezebox duet`. But you may always use the registered word for anything, as long as you are not referring to a competing product or firm. If there is confusion, sometimes the solution is to add a town name, or some abbreviation to the name. The one who has used the name first does not have to change the name (first come first served), even if the other one registered the name later (at least after a struggle between 2 companies I know).

I know that there is an accordion tuner in the Netherlands who has been registered as "the squeezebox". Suppose that I would help him out sometimes and (I said suppose... B)) we would call it "the squeezebox duet". That would be okay because it refers to a company and not to the "squeezebox duet" thing.

It´s allowed to write about duet concertina's and refer to them as a `squeezebox duet` (I would call it a `duet squeezebox` instead). It makes music and has buttons but it is not a competing product, or is it?

I wonder what will happen in jurisdiction when I try to sell two bananas and call them squeezebox duet. :)

"Band aid" might be reserved for wound dressings but allowable on a device for musicians in a band setting.

Sean,

Didn't Bob Geldorf call his series of charitable rock concerts in benefit of emerging countries "Band Aid"? Nobody seemed to mind, and it certainly wasn't something the lawyers could overlook :lol:

Cheers,

John

Note this product. And they've made "Squeezebox" a trademark, no less! :angry:

Well, at least they're not calling it a "Triumph"... not yet, anyway. :unsure:

But to add to the confusion, this review is on the web site reviews.cnet.com. :o

Once people get up and running with Google searches, stand by for more visits to C.net.

Wow -- "Squeezebox Duet!"

At least Logitek didn't call it "Duet Squeezebox" -- I have two of those already.

Yes, we'll be getting a lot of Google hits here!

Look on the bright side -- a lot of 20-30-something types will discover the wonderful world of sqee ... uh, er, concertinas! :P

--Mike K.