another Linota question

oldchief

post-169-1228147755_thumb.jpg

Hello to all. I am a long-time reader of the board and I'm kind of hoping someone can help with some questions re my Wheatstone anglo.

I've been playing since the late 1960s when the Oiler from a trawler I was on went ashore when we were tied up in Tromso, Norway came back with a East German anglo and showed me a couple tunes. I still consider myself a beginner.

As you can see from the pic it is a 30 MB metal ended Linota, serial no. 34323. The Wheatstone ledger (SD02, page 183) online shows this number in series for 1936 but shows no instrument for that serial number.

Is this one of the 'life's mysteries' I'll have to live with?

The box came to me from David Levine (Hello, David) in the early '90s when he was living in New Hampshire and I was taking a few lessons from him and drinking excellent tea in his kitchen.

Looking through old postings I see some reference to some Linotas having endplates that are inset into the wooden end frames as compared with the flush-fitted ends mine which my box has. Are the inset ends a later feature?

I also found some reference to a different type of hand-strap attachment on Linotas. Does this refer to the brass staple which keeps the strap against the handrest?

Best wishes and Holiday Greeting to all.

Jim Richardson aka oldchief

Edited by oldchief

... it is a 30 MB metal ended Linota, serial no. 34323. The Wheatstone ledger (SD02, page 183) online shows this number in series for 1936 but shows no instrument for that serial number.

Hi Jim,

I would interpret the ledgers as being a batch of identical concertinas, of which yours is one.

As to inset metal ends (which mine has), this fashion seemed to come and go. Mine, which is No.27835, dates from 1918, but there have been earlier Wheatstones with this feature. In tandem with this seems to be the revised handrest to which you refer. I'll take a few photos of mine and post one or two, here, as it will be easier than trying to explain.

Regards,

Peter.

Good God, Jim Richardson!

Great to know you're still on this side of the ground!

You know, that is one instrument I have always regretted selling.

I am delighted to know that you still have it. Let me know if you ever think of selling it.

I'll buy it back at a much higher price... of course! But I'd be happier to know you're getting on with it.

Hope to see more posts from you.

Not too many hobbah mastahs 'round heah.

~David

post-169-1228147755_thumb.jpg

Looking through old postings I see some reference to some Linotas having endplates that are inset into the wooden end frames as compared with the flush-fitted ends mine which my box has. Are the inset ends a later feature?

I also found some reference to a different type of hand-strap attachment on Linotas. Does this refer to the brass staple which keeps the strap against the handrest?

Here we go:

post-1710-1228152767_thumb.jpg

The box came to me from David Levine (Hello, David) in the early '90s when he was living in New Hampshire and I was taking a few lesions from him and drinking excellent tea in his kitchen.

I hope that's a typo............................

The box came to me from David Levine (Hello, David) in the early '90s when he was living in New Hampshire and I was taking a few lesions from him and drinking excellent tea in his kitchen.

Haha, good one! David, next time I come down for tea, I'll bring my whip and some leather!

Haha, good one! David, next time I come down for tea, I'll bring my whip and some leather!

Typo edited and still salt encrusted ears red - or at least somewhat pink.

Thanks for the info and pictures, Peter, I guess I mis-read the ledger, or at least misunderstood. The strap scheme is clear now as well as the end-plate configuration.

David, I was surprised to hear of your move, I guess that's what happens when you loose contact with people. The Linota is alive and well, may get some maintenance in the not-too-distant future. The questions came to me during a semi-annual end-plate polishing when I decided to do some online research on the serial number. Your label is still on the action board. I expect to hang onto the box for a while longer, I retired a while ago and have had more playing time.

Thanks for the answers, all.

Jim